Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Col city fan

The 'Do you miss Uni'? Thread.

It depends what course you are doing. If it's oversubscribed then like anything you will need to make your application seem better. My degree was undersubscribed and I didn't even have to go to an interview for any of my offers.

Personal statement advice chaps?

I've heard two ends of the spectrum; either it's pointless and nobody looks at it or it's the most important part of your application. Makes me laugh how varied opinions are on it.

Bit worried I won't get in anywhere but it's got to be done, they can only say no I guess.

Having heard that (and when I applied I heard the same), surely the sensible thing to do is to put your full effort into it, just in case it ends up differentiating you?

I'm 24 in my third year at DMU, and I know I'll miss it when I finish. Aside from the fact that I actually enjoy what I'm learning about, I currently work part time in the evenings, and I just like how my week is broken up with irregular shifts and varied uni hours in the day time. I don't get depressed because it's Monday and I've got five 9-5 slogs left before I can actually enjoy myself again. Unfortunately if I ever want a job that's gonna pay me more than £6.50 an hour then I'll probably have to give into that at some point...  :(

I'm 24 in my third year at DMU, and I know I'll miss it when I finish. Aside from the fact that I actually enjoy what I'm learning about, I currently work part time in the evenings, and I just like how my week is broken up with irregular shifts and varied uni hours in the day time. I don't get depressed because it's Monday and I've got five 9-5 slogs left before I can actually enjoy myself again. Unfortunately if I ever want a job that's gonna pay me more than £6.50 an hour then I'll probably have to give into that at some point...  :(

What are you studying at DMU ?

What are you studying at DMU ?

Artificial Intelligence with Robotics. Current modules this year are Mobile Robotics, Data Mining, Telematics, Computer Ethics and of course my final year project.

I can only imagine that most software development jobs revolve around the kind of hours I despise!

Artificial Intelligence with Robotics. Current modules this year are Mobile Robotics, Data Mining, Telematics, Computer Ethics and of course my final year project.

I can only imagine that most software development jobs revolve around the kind of hours I despise!

Sounds good and we're possibly in the same lectures as we share modules, haha

Not too far from what I'm doing, Computer Games Programming.

I'm in my first year of the degree, but did a foundation year to get on to it. 23 myself, was in a dead end job, had a child which was the kick up my arse I needed to sort my future out so went for uni.

Luckily I work part-time for my partners parents, which is completely flexible and my partner herself works full-time. So although, I'm not pissing it up most nights, I am enjoying actually using my brain and learning again and to be honest i'm glad I got back into education at this age, seem much more focused.

I reckon you guys have Howell?

I'm the only one I've seen wearing a Leicester top to uni, you're letting me down!  :P

Not too far from what I'm doing, Computer Games Programming.

Was in with a lot of the games students for the first two years (C++, AI and Modelling for Games, etc). Don't think there's as many this year.

I'm the only one I've seen wearing a Leicester top to uni, you're letting me down!  :P

Was in with a lot of the games students for the first two years (C++, AI and Modelling for Games, etc). Don't think there's as many this year.

Clearly not a member of the Badminton Society  :whistle:

And No Wet Trump I don't have him, I do Computer Science so it's more generalised than a specific area

Clearly not a member of the Badminton Society  :whistle:

And No Wet Trump I don't have him, I do Computer Science so it's more generalised than a specific area

Ah, I see. We do an Elements of Computing module with Comp Sci students, taken by Norris and Lapworth.

Yeah, I was going to say. I'd never even heard of that module before :D

Do you have David Smallwood? Great lecturer

A few guys from the foundation course who have gone on to comp sci / security have him for programming I think. Unfortunately I don't. Can't complain with my lecturers so far though.

I miss living in halls even though I hated it at the time, something new happened every week. Since then, every year has got progressively more boring, probably to do with work load as well.

I miss halls as well just because of the amount of people. Like, I wanted to go out but the rest didn't then I could pop around next door. Met loads of people.

Only think I don't miss from halls is the security. Had two disciplinaries last year.

I miss halls as well just because of the amount of people. Like, I wanted to go out but the rest didn't then I could pop around next door. Met loads of people.

Only think I don't miss from halls is the security. Had two disciplinaries last year.

Yeah I see what you're saying, in terms of socializing it's pretty much a given you will meet loads of people.

The security :D I kind of felt sorry for them in a way, having to put up with so much crap. I did get lobbed out of a halls of residence once for doing something which I regret completely

No I don't miss it at all, my cohort was mostly very boring and nursing was just generally really hard work for the whole three years. Plus I'm not especially academic so hated all the essays and exams with a passion, like the 30 hours a week hospital placements though.

Having much more fun now I'm working in London at a decent hospital and single.

Personal statement advice chaps?

I've heard two ends of the spectrum; either it's pointless and nobody looks at it or it's the most important part of your application. Makes me laugh how varied opinions are on it.

Bit worried I won't get in anywhere but it's got to be done, they can only say no I guess.

As someone else said, put 100% into it regardless. Make sure it's tailored to the course you want to study and don't aim it at one uni as you will alienate the others. Good luck.

As someone else said, put 100% into it regardless. Make sure it's tailored to the course you want to study and don't aim it at one uni as you will alienate the others. Good luck.

Just a bit worried because I don't have experience working with children and being 23, ie a mature student, with grades that don't necessarily fit the bill I'm already massively under the odds.

Archived