Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Nugent

Haven't read past the first page but when will people realise that a consistently quality striker is simply not an option for Championship clubs! If there is a striker who can bang them in every week, they won't be playing in this division. Nuge is realistically the best we're going to attract at this level, and whilst his form is poor at the moment, he's had some class spells too. Get off his back.

Haven't read past the first page but when will people realise that a consistently quality striker is simply not an option for Championship clubs! If there is a striker who can bang them in every week, they won't be playing in this division. Nuge is realistically the best we're going to attract at this level, and whilst his form is poor at the moment, he's had some class spells too. Get off his back.

Or we have a very good striker (Chris Wood) who has been on the bench for the past few weeks and has patiently waited for his opportunity. Now his opportunity has come because Nugent can't hit a barn door at the minute.

Anyone see the chances Palace had to beat Everton on Saturday?

Bolasie and Chamach both missed good chances to win it.

Strikers are hard to find and Nugent is very decent at this level.

He deserves to be challenged for his position but to right him off and to say he's rubbish is plain daft.

City should have beaten Forrest soundly and Nugents failure in front of goal was one of the main reasons we didn't but we need to dust ourselves down and move on to the next game.

All the moaning could get to the players that have done really well so far and cause a panic that cost us last spring.

We've got a really good chance this year - let's back them!

All the moaning could get to the players that have done really well so far and cause a panic that cost us last spring.

FFS if a few fans questioning our lack of goals compared to chances could get to the players and cause a panic then they should grow a pair.

Some people on here think chat pages are a lot more important than they actaully are,

Anyone see the chances Palace had to beat Everton on Saturday?

Bolasie and Chamach both missed good chances to win it.

Strikers are hard to find and Nugent is very decent at this level.

He deserves to be challenged for his position but to right him off and to say he's rubbish is plain daft.

City should have beaten Forrest soundly and Nugents failure in front of goal was one of the main reasons we didn't but we need to dust ourselves down and move on to the next game.

Yeah, that's kind of the reason we're discussing this....

Nugent missed a few chances yeah, but so did other players, such as Dyer. But yet again everything seems to be pinned on one player again...

I'll happily slate Dyer for that awful miss but apparently he's excused due to playing in the Championship and not being a striker.

Nugent is getting it in the ear because EVEN DYER has scored more goals from open play.

FFS if a few fans questioning our lack of goals compared to chances could get to the players and cause a panic then they should grow a pair.

Some people on here think chat pages are a lot more important than they actaully are,

I think it's right to question their form but to dismiss them when we've seen some great stuff in the past (and I think he'll come good again) is wrong.

Last season v forest, Nugent scored a superb goal - this season he had a stinker.

Last season Chris Wood signed and couldn't stop scoring - not long after his form dipped.

I agree that Nugent has been poor for far too long now but I still believe he has a lot to contribute this season and theres plenty of our squad that have good and bad runs of form - konchesky, Drinky, Wood and King to name a few - although these runs haven't gone on as long :-(

Hopefully Wood will be flying back next couple of days and will be nice and fresh for Ipswich then Nugent can have a well earned rest.

There's still the second leg to play next Wednesday. He'll most likely return Friday 22nd. Will be jet-lagged so I doubt he'd play the full 90 vs Ipswich.

Nugent missed a few chances yeah, but so did other players, such as Dyer. But yet again everything seems to be pinned on one player again...

Yes, the Dyer with 5 goals from open play from the left wing, a massive 3 more than our supposedly 'main' striker Nugent.

Yes, the Dyer with 5 goals from open play from the left wing, a massive 3 more than our supposedly 'main' striker Nugent.

I was using Dyer as an example...

I just don't get how the same people crawl back to this Nugent thread when we lose. My point was, yes he did miss a few chances (strikers have days like that), but that wasn't the total reason why we lost on Saturday.

I was using Dyer as an example...

I just don't get how the same people crawl back to this Nugent thread when we lose. My point was, yes he did miss a few chances (strikers have days like that), but that wasn't the total reason why we lost on Saturday.

Of course it wasn't but if Nugent puts away 2 easy headers (1 totally inexcusable) at 0-0 or a steady chance cleared off the line at 2-0 or a penalty at 2-0 I really do think the game would have panned out differently, what do you think? He has been pathetic since January, how anyone can defend him for anything during this period is beyond me. 

August 2011 - January 2013... Steady, consistent and a threat.

January 2013 - Present... Du du du ****ing useless

Of course it wasn't but if Nugent puts away 2 easy headers (1 totally inexcusable) at 0-0 or a steady chance cleared off the line at 2-0 or a penalty at 2-0 I really do think the game would have panned out differently, what do you think? He has been pathetic since January, how anyone can defend him for anything during this period is beyond me. 

August 2011 - January 2013... Steady, consistent and a threat.

January 2013 - Present... Du du du ****ing useless

This is true. To be fair, I'm not defending him for those chances as you've got to score them, regardless of his playing position. On another day, he could have so easily scored them.

I know his form was poor from January until end of the season. Although, I do think most, if not all, the players performances were poor so he was hardly the stand out player.

I just think he remains our best striker. He has scored 15 goals a season since joining, and he scores in the big games (play offs) which all good players do... His movement is probably the best out of all our strikers, he makes things happen just with that.

This is true. To be fair, I'm not defending him for those chances as you've got to score them, regardless of his playing position. On another day, he could have so easily scored them.

I know his form was poor from January until end of the season. Although, I do think most, if not all, the players performances were poor so he was hardly the stand out player.

I just think he remains our best striker. He has scored 15 goals a season since joining, and he scores in the big games (play offs) which all good players do... His movement is probably the best out of all our strikers, he makes things happen just with that.

Fair enough. I agree that the back end of last season we played poorly as a side, however our best performances in those runs that changed our fortunes (despite not having the best of luck in the matches) for me were Brighton and Palace away when Nugent played wide at Brighton and was dropped for Palace. Even in the play offs, good team performances but it was 2 headers from set pieces that he scored. 

To say he is currently our best striker is ludicrous really. Good players do it on a weekly basis, not just in the big games. He has scored 4 goals from open play in 36 (THIRTY SIX) games. A strike rate of 1 in 9 which is totally unacceptable. In fact it is pathetic. Trevor Benjamin scored 9 in 39 in our last promotion season, Elvis Hammond scored 6 in 33 in 06/07, Mark De Vries scored 9 in 35 appearances in 05/06, and even managed 5 in 34 in 07/08 when he was a right carthorse. Even Akinbiyi managed 10 goals in 43 appearances in 00/01 (Premiership). Also bare in mind that Nugent returned 6 goals in 34 appearances whilst Burnley were in the Premier League.

Trevor Benjamin, Elvis Hammond, Mark De Vries, Ade Akinbiyi - I think it was either Manwell Pablo or Ric Flair who said that I should never mention them in the same sentence as David Nugent. Well, sorry to shock you all but on current form he is worse than them all. 

Fair enough. I agree that the back end of last season we played poorly as a side, however our best performances in those runs that changed our fortunes (despite not having the best of luck in the matches) for me were Brighton and Palace away when Nugent played wide at Brighton and was dropped for Palace. Even in the play offs, good team performances but it was 2 headers from set pieces that he scored.

To say he is currently our best striker is ludicrous really. Good players do it on a weekly basis, not just in the big games. He has scored 4 goals from open play in 36 (THIRTY SIX) games. A strike rate of 1 in 9 which is totally unacceptable. In fact it is pathetic. Trevor Benjamin scored 9 in 39 in our last promotion season, Elvis Hammond scored 6 in 33 in 06/07, Mark De Vries scored 9 in 35 appearances in 05/06, and even managed 5 in 34 in 07/08 when he was a right carthorse. Even Akinbiyi managed 10 goals in 43 appearances in 00/01 (Premiership). Also bare in mind that Nugent returned 6 goals in 34 appearances whilst Burnley were in the Premier League.

Trevor Benjamin, Elvis Hammond, Mark De Vries, Ade Akinbiyi - I think it was either Manwell Pablo or Ric Flair who said that I should never mention them in the same sentence as David Nugent. Well, sorry to shock you all but on current form he is worse than them all.

Only if you manipulate your argument.

This isn't me defending him either just making the point.

Its not comparable! Firstly, you cant guarantee that none of their goals were penalties or goals from set pieces (which you like to extract and take away from Nugent). You are also using whole seasons - Nugent scored 15 (?) goals last season, more than any of them and he has also scored 8 this season which is close to beating your examples already.

I wish people would stop manipulating figures to support their arguement. I hope these people aren't researchers or scientists!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived