Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Nugent

His two goals from open play won us the game today though?

I know, i'm obviously not saying that.  :rolleyes:

Up until today his record has been shit for us this season. Lets hope this is a catalyst for him to start taking his chances more often.

The problem is lads unfortunately some fans don't realise that when you score a penalty and are in the lead the game changes and your new objectives are often to defend and to protect the 3 points not go and score more goals from open play. These fans also don't understand that the penalties were also potential chances to score from open play, their brains cannot work out that if a player is fouled in a goal scoring area we can no longer capitalise from that chance from open play. Unfortunately the way their brains now interperate these chances is that once the opportunity becomes a penalty, it is no longer a real goal.

What a load of shit. Nugent's objective is to defend when we are winning? The fact is, he has been pony all season. If he has played well today, then fair enough, great brilliant. Hopefully he can push on and play well now because he hasn't all season.

What a load of shit. Nugent's objective is to defend when we are winning? The fact is, he has been pony all season. If he has played well today, then fair enough, great brilliant. Hopefully he can push on and play well now because he hasn't all season.

It's not a load of shit a teams objectives and tactics can be different depending on wherever they are 1-0 up or 0-1 down.

Penalties are relatively easy though. I'm not saying you should dismiss them but you can't attribute them to the scorer as much (unless they earnt it perhaps).

If your penalty taker plays at RB and scores 12 in a season you don't decide to stick him up front, these were chances given to him and don't really reflect on his ability to play as a goalscoring striker particularly. Not trying to diminish the value of penalties to the team, just think that they are 'gifts' to the taker to a degree and so should be seen as less of an achievement.

This. I was people would stop being so bloody obtuse about it, with all these "witty" comments. Yes, they all count as goals, no matter how they were scored. But unless you earned the penalty, then it's not the same as scoring from open play. Because with a penalty, you are given a free shot at goal, with just the keeper to beat. You're not guaranteed to score, but it's certainly easier. People don't seem to understand that goals all being worth the same doesn't mean that they're all equally difficult to score. For example, what's harder, getting 20 goals against Chelsea or scoring 20 vs. Scunthorpe. Scoring 20 penalties you haven't earned or scoring 20 from open play.

If we're being honest, Nugent hasn't been up to his usual standards this season, and I'm usually a big fan of his. The penalties have papered over some poor performances. To be fair, he has scored most of his pens, and there have been times when he's put in a good performance and not got a goal, but overall, he's been sub-par and missed some sitters in the process. That being said, he's clearly put in a great shift today and I do think he will come good by the end of the season. But these hilarious jokes like "oh goals in June don't count" or "goals at Ipswich don't count" are actually missing a very valid point. 

I don't know whether people are over-reacting in the face of trolls bashing Nugent or whether people are just being narrow minded. It's not too difficult to admit that y'know, Nugent hasn't been the player of the season nor is he the shittest player ever.

Well, his last three goals are from open play so he's getting back to some kind of form. Those penalties will mean as much as the open play goals, so for now he's contributed a fair amount and can still improve.

Needs to play how he did today most of the time.

Well, his last three goals are from open play so he's getting back to some kind of form. Those penalties will mean as much as the open play goals, so for now he's contributed a fair amount and can still improve.

Needs to play how he did today most of the time.

Yeah, I hope so. He tends to score in bursts, so fingers crossed he'll score in the next few.

I don't think that people criticising Nugent are trolling. He can blow hot and cold. I maintain what I said right from the off though. He is still our best striker and best finisher at the club. If he can keep fit and retain some sort of form he's a very important player if we are to have some success this season.

i had to sleep through the match as i have terrible food poisoning. Woke up checked the score and was absolutely thrilled. We often lose to Ipswich away as they can be a right bogey team for us !! nugent has scored two and people on here are arguing about him??? please fill me in as i'm very confused. Typical city fans eh 

This. I was people would stop being so bloody obtuse about it, with all these "witty" comments. Yes, they all count as goals, no matter how they were scored. But unless you earned the penalty, then it's not the same as scoring from open play. Because with a penalty, you are given a free shot at goal, with just the keeper to beat. You're not guaranteed to score, but it's certainly easier. People don't seem to understand that goals all being worth the same doesn't mean that they're all equally difficult to score. For example, what's harder, getting 20 goals against Chelsea or scoring 20 vs. Scunthorpe. Scoring 20 penalties you haven't earned or scoring 20 from open play.

If we're being honest, Nugent hasn't been up to his usual standards this season, and I'm usually a big fan of his. The penalties have papered over some poor performances. To be fair, he has scored most of his pens, and there have been times when he's put in a good performance and not got a goal, but overall, he's been sub-par and missed some sitters in the process. That being said, he's clearly put in a great shift today and I do think he will come good by the end of the season. But these hilarious jokes like "oh goals in June don't count" or "goals at Ipswich don't count" are actually missing a very valid point. 

I don't know whether people are over-reacting in the face of trolls bashing Nugent or whether people are just being narrow minded. It's not too difficult to admit that y'know, Nugent hasn't been the player of the season nor is he the shittest player ever.

Good post,fully agree

Archived