Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Nugent

All Nugent needs is to be dropped and that will make him realise he needs to fight back into the team. If he doesn't and just moans he will just get shown the door which I doubt will happen. Vardy and Wood for Ipswich and Nugent on the bench.

He seems to be struggling at the moment, maybe complacency has been a part of the problem?

Maybe Wood coming in from the start with Vardy might be the kick Nugent needs to improve his game. Certainly not worth getting rid of completely though, on form he will offer plenty to the side. Unfortunately he hasn't on a regular basis recently.

Nugent's penalties not being counted in his goal tally are like Beckford's cup goals not counting for us.

Sorry to bring Beckford up again, but GOALS ARE GOALS.

Are you taking the piss? Any one from the keeper to the strikers can take the penalties,this season has been crazy for the amount of penalties we have had,the bottom line is Nugent's poor play has been covered up by penalties he has converted.

Tell me this,without the penalties would you be thinking differently?

Are you taking the piss? Any one from the keeper to the strikers can take the penalties,this season has been crazy for the amount of penalties we have had,the bottom line is Nugent's poor play has been covered up by penalties he has converted.

No one will say he has played well this season, or as well as we know. He'll admit that himself. But the penalties happened. And that is that.

Nugent's penalties not being counted in his goal tally are like Beckford's cup goals not counting for us.

Sorry to bring Beckford up again, but GOALS ARE GOALS.

No one will say he has played well this season, or as well as we know. He'll admit that himself. But the penalties happened. And that is that.

He's never taken penalties before, as he now does I'd expect at least 20 goals from him this season,

On current form that isn't going to happen.

Edited to say that number of goals should be closer to 25.

Who knows.

What I do know is that we've had the penalties and Nugent has slotted them away and played his part in helping us to get to 2nd in the league. 

He's taken responsibility for it and scored majority of his penalties. One miss yesterday doesn't deserve all the crap he's got in the aftermath. How about you tell me this - if he scored one of his headers or the penalty, would any criticism be aimed at him or would it be diverted to another player (it seems to be the FoxesTalk way to apportion an unnecessary amount of blame to someone regardless of result)?

Are you just going to discount his goals this season just because they are penalties? Do you want to write to the Football League and tell them to take the penalties and goals away?

Like I said earlier in this thread or the other thread - everyone was praising the way Nugent and Vardy were working together pre-Forest. I certainly didn't see Nugent being made a scapegoat for other matches where we may not have played well. But I think his performance yesterday and consequent criticism is magnified because it was against Forest. Yes he played poorly, but then so did most of the team.

You probably think I'm looking at it too optimistically, but I'm not going to discount his penalties but at the same time, I don't think it hides his form. Too much was made of his stat about not scoring in open play and it didn't help that much of the criticism came from our own fans. Typical though. 

Anyway, sorry for wanting to always get behind a player who suffered a bad game. Unlike some others, I like to support the players - I've given my fair share of abuse to players when it's deserved. But we're 2nd in the league and there's no hiding the fact that Nugent has helped us get there. Just take that in to account - we're 2nd in the league. That's the big picture we should be looking at. 

Too much was made of his stat about not scoring in open play and it didn't help that much of the criticism came from our own fans. Typical though. 

Unlike some others, I like to support the players - I've given my fair share of abuse to players when it's deserved.

Did Nugent get grief from the fans at games?

If he chooses to use social media and take to heart what he reads from a few people then he wouldn't have the strength of character to be a successful footballer.

I think Nugent has had an easy ride on here, perhaps a few now think' it's deserved'.

I don't think he should be should be sold, hopefully he just needs dropping for a couple of games.

Did Nugent get grief from the fans at games?

If he chooses to use social media and take to heart what he reads from a few people then he wouldn't have the strength of character to be a successful footballer.

I think Nugent has had an easy ride on here, perhaps a few now think' it's deserved'.

I don't think he should be should be sold, hopefully he just needs dropping for a couple of games.

I have no idea what he's said on social media in terms of taking things to heart so can't really comment. 

If Pearson sees fit to drop him then so be it. I won't begrudge him for doing that if Nuge is low on confidence right now. What I'm not happy with are the exaggerations of fans saying he should be sold or that some of his goals don't count just because they're not from open play!

I'm confused, are goals from "open" play more important than those not from "open" play ?

I thought either counted as one goal, so does it really matter? 

There is a skill involved scoring from open play or free kick  or pens.Fact is he is our top goalscorer in a season we currently lie in second place so i think it's fair to say he has played a big part in getting us to where we are.If he is struggling for form,then by all means drop him but sell him?Get someone better in?It simply is not going to happen! We will get nothing for him and prob have to pay up the last few months of his contract,and who we gonna get better?FFP remember? Nigel can not go out and spend millions to replace him.Look at the players hes been able to get in so far,cheap and cheap wages.You aint gonna get better than Nugent for the money we can spend.

I'm confused, are goals from "open" play more important than those not from "open" play ?

I thought either counted as one goal, so does it really matter? 

There is a skill involved scoring from open play or free kick  or pens.Fact is he is our top goalscorer in a season we currently lie in second place so i think it's fair to say he has played a big part in getting us to where we are.If he is struggling for form,then by all means drop him but sell him?Get someone better in?It simply is not going to happen! We will get nothing for him and prob have to pay up the last few months of his contract,and who we gonna get better?FFP remember? Nigel can not go out and spend millions to replace him.Look at the players hes been able to get in so far,cheap and cheap wages.You aint gonna get better than Nugent for the money we can spend.

Usually it's used in an argument where you are against the player. Gallagher had the same.

I suppose it can mask a performance at times, and Nugent has been off-form but still contributing, albeit from set-pieces rather than open play.

If he is dropped and Wood comes in then I've no problem with that, Wood has had two and a bit good games with a couple of goals and assists and Pearson wants to freshen it up then fine.

Nugent's goals from the spot could be crucial at the end of the season, hopefully he'll add plenty more and improve his all-round game. I've no qualms with him being dropped but selling him would be ridiculous.

Who knows.

What I do know is that we've had the penalties and Nugent has slotted them away and played his part in helping us to get to 2nd in the league.

He's taken responsibility for it and scored majority of his penalties. One miss yesterday doesn't deserve all the crap he's got in the aftermath. How about you tell me this - if he scored one of his headers or the penalty, would any criticism be aimed at him or would it be diverted to another player (it seems to be the FoxesTalk way to apportion an unnecessary amount of blame to someone regardless of result)?

Are you just going to discount his goals this season just because they are penalties? Do you want to write to the Football League and tell them to take the penalties and goals away?

Like I said earlier in this thread or the other thread - everyone was praising the way Nugent and Vardy were working together pre-Forest. I certainly didn't see Nugent being made a scapegoat for other matches where we may not have played well. But I think his performance yesterday and consequent criticism is magnified because it was against Forest. Yes he played poorly, but then so did most of the team.

You probably think I'm looking at it too optimistically, but I'm not going to discount his penalties but at the same time, I don't think it hides his form. Too much was made of his stat about not scoring in open play and it didn't help that much of the criticism came from our own fans. Typical though.

Anyway, sorry for wanting to always get behind a player who suffered a bad game. Unlike some others, I like to support the players - I've given my fair share of abuse to players when it's deserved. But we're 2nd in the league and there's no hiding the fact that Nugent has helped us get there. Just take that in to account - we're 2nd in the league. That's the big picture we should be looking at.

I get behind all the players,never boo at matches.

Yet just because we are second does not stop me saying what I think on a open forum,and the truth is as a striker Nugent is not looking nowhere near the player he was,it's easy to cover up because we are second.

Same as Chris Wood last season lost his form and was dropped and that's how it should be,if Nugent carries on not performing and is not dropped what sort off message does that send to the rest of the strikers.

I hope he does find his form,a David Nugent on song is one best players in the league yet his body language against Forest said it all,dropping him will not hurt..no player warrants a first team and if we are serious about going up we cannot carry players.

Yet just because we are second does not stop me saying what I think on a open forum,and the truth is as a striker Nugent is not looking nowhere near the player he was,it's easy to cover up because we are second.

Same as Chris Wood last season lost his form and was dropped and that's how it should be,if Nugent carries on not performing and is not dropped what sort off message does that send to the rest of the strikers.

I hope he does find his form,a David Nugent on song is one best players in the league yet his body language against Forest said it all,dropping him will not hurt..no player warrants a first team and if we are serious about going up we cannot carry players.

Wood got injured, wasn't dropped.

So he's somewhere near it?

Get Jay Bothroyd in on a free transfer. Contract until the end if the season.

No thanks. He's been abject since Cardiff. Scored 1 in 14 at Wednesday, constantly gettin booed because he's so lazy. Doesn't have the energy/pace that we need to fit with our style of play.

Nuge just looks a yard off the pace at the moment. We all know what he can do and this is why we have a variety of strikers to cover for those not on form. Albeit with penalties he is our top scorer and has been the last two years without penalties. We know he is capable of 14-17 goals a season but he isn't or never was the 20 goal a season man. So some of this criticism is a little bit ott and he will come back round again. That said I think wood has earnt his chance to play and vardy will obviously start when fit. A spell and the sidelines could be good for him and he isn't too shabby as an impact sub - bagged that brace at home to derby last year from the bench and helped make dyers winner vs Fulham having only been on for a few minutes.

Archived