Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Nugent

You've misunderstood me. I wasn't suggesting he's a 25 goal a season man. What I meant was, people are suggesting we should sell him and sign someone better. Nuge will always get you 15 goals a season- therefore, is there anyone better? Fact is, 25 goals a season strikers are impossible to find in this division. For this level, Nugent is a decent player for me,

what about Austin

I'm confused, are goals from "open" play more important than those not from "open" play ?

I thought either counted as one goal, so does it really matter? 

There is a skill involved scoring from open play or free kick  or pens.Fact is he is our top goalscorer in a season we currently lie in second place so i think it's fair to say he has played a big part in getting us to where we are.If he is struggling for form,then by all means drop him but sell him?Get someone better in?It simply is not going to happen! We will get nothing for him and prob have to pay up the last few months of his contract,and who we gonna get better?FFP remember? Nigel can not go out and spend millions to replace him.Look at the players hes been able to get in so far,cheap and cheap wages.You aint gonna get better than Nugent for the money we can spend.

ive forgot more about football than you know !!

He tries he closes down from the front he's clearly been asked to play in a deeper role. Yes he missed a penalty but they don't count anyway do they?!

We move on to the next one, where I am sure nugent will score and you will all be back to slagging him off for something else yet again as has been all season so far.

We are 2nd in the league for christ sake!

This is like the moan in. But worse.

He deserves to be dropped.

Lets try Wood and Vardy. Schlupp shouldn't be anywhere near the strikeforce either.

Agree, I think that strike force is well worth a go.

He tries he closes down from the front he's clearly been asked to play in a deeper role. Yes he missed a penalty but they don't count anyway do they?!

We move on to the next one, where I am sure nugent will score and you will all be back to slagging him off for something else yet again as has been all season so far.

We are 2nd in the league for christ sake!

This is like the moan in. But worse.

You're right, everything is going swimmingly, we'll get a similar amount of pens in the next three quarters as we did this and he'll work his arse off. What were we all thinking?

It isn't just his form this season which has been worrying, it is his form since january which leads me to the conclusion that he currently is not good enough.

At the end of the day penalties are indeed a skill, but anyone can score one.

Just imagine the his record since Jan without those penalties, it is not poor, just terrible.

I'm fully aware that a goal from the spot is considered just as important as any other, but, looking at his record, it either

a) highlights the fact that he hasn't been good enough to score more in open play

b) the fact he is scoring from the spot means his attitude towards scoring in open play has changed.

Personally, i have rarely seen a performance from nuge when i though...well that was a great game for him. Whereas recently as Fulham and Blackburn this year Wood and Vardy respectively were extremely impressive.

But if it's a penalty, it won't count :doh:

Has anybody actually said that?

What they are pointing out is a lack of goals from open play, he scored 15 goals last season without taking a penalty.

Based on that he should be looking to get 20-25 goals this season, he won't get close on his current form.

Has he actually made any of the penalties he's taken this season?

Has anybody actually said that?

What they are pointing out is a lack of goals from open play, he scored 15 goals last season without taking a penalty.

Based on that he should be looking to get 20-25 goals this season, he won't get close on his current form.

Has he actually made any of the penalties he's taken this season?

No but he's scored all but one of them and made chances for other players in the team.

I'm aware of his penalty record and I'm aware he's made chances for other players.

I also know he's made chances for other players in previous seasons.

This defence of Nugent is getting ridiculous, he's clearly not scoring enough goals, if you start taking penalties they shouldn't replace the goals you were previously getting.

His form has dropped, the only argument is surely just how long that has been going on for.

So long as someone sticks it in the net, I'm happy. Nugent is contributing, albeit "not from open play" - but he is still contributing, causing problems and creating chances. Personally, I feel quite happy with Wood, Vardy and Nugent - all 3 will contribute over the course of the season. 

And hey! When all 3 are off form - we can look forward to this thread, but with the title replaced with Vardy or Wood! 

I'm aware of his penalty record and I'm aware he's made chances for other players.

I also know he's made chances for other players in previous seasons.

This defence of Nugent is getting ridiculous, he's clearly not scoring enough goals, if you start taking penalties they shouldn't replace the goals you were previously getting.

His form has dropped, the only argument is surely just how long that has been going on for.

And that's what is ridiculous. You're discounting the penalties. I, and others, have already said that Nugent hasn't played that well. But what's important is that he is scoring those penalties which = 'scoring goals'. Hence me also saying earlier that 'goals are goals'.

Ask any striker if they'd be happy with scoring a goal from a penalty or open play and they'd settle for either. Goals are goals. Even when form is low, scoring a penalty means you've scored a goal.

I'd be more concerned if he was missing all these penalties AND playing badly. So far though, he's only missed ONE out of all them this season. Don't exaggerate that just like we seemingly can't exaggerate how many goals he does score from the spot or not. You can't have it both ways.

And that's what is ridiculous. You're discounting the penalties. I, and others, have already said that Nugent hasn't played that well. But what's important is that he is scoring those penalties which = 'scoring goals'. Hence me also saying earlier that 'goals are goals'.

Ask any striker if they'd be happy with scoring a goal from a penalty or open play and they'd settle for either. Goals are goals. Even when form is low, scoring a penalty means you've scored a goal.

I'd be more concerned if he was missing all these penalties AND playing badly. So far though, he's only missed ONE out of all them this season. Don't exaggerate that just like we seemingly can't exaggerate how many goals he does score from the spot or not. You can't have it both ways.

I'm not discounting the penalties, I'm saying that he should be scoring his normal 15 plus penalties.

I don't see where I'm exagerating and I don't see where I;m having it both ways.

If all of his penalties came from him being brought down then they would be a fair swap for his goals from open play, that clearly hasn't been the case.

I understand that he's playing a role further back and that will impact on the number of goals he scores but he doesn't look like scoring even 10 golas from open play at the moment.

I'm also fairly sure that most strikers would sooner be scoring from open play than penalties, it is what they are paid to do.

It's a bit like strikers claiming that it doesn't matter who scores as long as the team win, they clearly want to be scoring as many goals as possible.

I'm not discounting his penalties I'm just stating that as he never took them before they should be additional to the 15 he normally scores.

Archived