Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Nugent

Has been hit and miss for a while. Yes I understand he scores penalties, but the misses of recent have been unforgivable and I wouldn't be sad if he went. He should of put a few away against Forest just for a recent example.

I hope I eat my words and he turns good, but I think he needs replacing. 

Has been hit and miss for a while. Yes I understand he scores penalties, but the misses of recent have been unforgivable and I wouldn't be sad if he went. He should of put a few away against Forest just for a recent example.

I hope I eat my words and he turns good, but I think he needs replacing. 

2/3 months into a season and we already want rid our top goal scorer for the past two seasons? I'm sure he'd be the first person to admit he's not been himself, but saying "Let's get rid" because he missed a penalty on Saturday is a little knee-jerk.

Further more, if their keeper hadn't made a word class save early on, Nuge would have put us one up, if he scored the penalty, i'm not sure people on here would be so negative towards him.

And that's what is ridiculous. You're discounting the penalties. I, and others, have already said that Nugent hasn't played that well. But what's important is that he is scoring those penalties which = 'scoring goals'. Hence me also saying earlier that 'goals are goals'.

Should he score 10 penalties this season how many goals overall from him would you be satisfied with?

Play him against Ipswich as his confidence must be high against them.Then I would give Wood and Vardy a chance if he doesn't score and let him fight for a place.Agree with Kylestyle that he has been poor and his misses have been very poor most of the season,but I think he will come good.Might do him a bit of good getting dropped.A fired up hungry Nugent could be very dangerous.

I'm not discounting the penalties, I'm saying that he should be scoring his normal 15 plus penalties.

I don't see where I'm exagerating and I don't see where I;m having it both ways.

If all of his penalties came from him being brought down then they would be a fair swap for his goals from open play, that clearly hasn't been the case.

I understand that he's playing a role further back and that will impact on the number of goals he scores but he doesn't look like scoring even 10 golas from open play at the moment.

I'm also fairly sure that most strikers would sooner be scoring from open play than penalties, it is what they are paid to do.

It's a bit like strikers claiming that it doesn't matter who scores as long as the team win, they clearly want to be scoring as many goals as possible.

I'm not discounting his penalties I'm just stating that as he never took them before they should be additional to the 15 he normally scores.

Fair enough, but let's give him til the end of the season to see what his total is like, yeah? It may not seem like he will score 10 goals open play at the moment, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he will pick up form once again and start scoring regularly. I won't argue if he does get dropped, but I certainly don't want him to leave just like you don't :thumbup:

Put it this way - a third of the way (just under) through the season and he's got 7 league goals. Using averages, if he carries on scoring penalties or open play goals, he'll get 21 goals. How many years (bar League One) have we been crying out for a 20-goal a season striker?

Strikers do clearly want to score goals, I don't discount that. I'm just saying that a striker will be content with scoring penalties even when he might not be scoring from open play.

In defence of Nugent - I thought he and Schlupp looked good for the first 30 mins on Satdi - given that JS has barely played up front for two seasons. In the games I've seen I couldn't fault Nuge's work rate or his combination play.

I admire him for recognising that AK taking a vital penalty in the Watford play-off was not on and should have been the responsibility of a more senior player. And I think that says a lot about the guy.

But the sad fact is he's always been a careless finisher - tending to blast rather than place and not always timing his jumps for headers. He's the same player that he's always been but can we afford his downsides any longer? very reminiscent of last season when Waggy was playing out of his skin but failing to score - you can only give a striker so many games to find a scoring touch before you give up and find someone else.That day approaches for Nugent....

Penalties are a bonus.

Penalties are a lottery.

Penalties can happen every game or never.

Goals from the penalty spot should not replace goals you would normally scores from open play. 

If you're doing your job you should score from open play and the penalty spot.

It is as simple as that. David Nugent has been shite since January and he should not be starting.

Penalties aren't a complete lottery as I think it was no co-incidence that we were winning them a lot more when De Laet was in the side. pretty sure 3/4 of them came from him being fouled in the box - a lot due to pacey and intelligent runs. There's a luck element but there's a skill to it and I wouldn't be surprised if we started getting more once De Laet's back.

Nugent's definitely off form and if Wood & Vardy are both fully fit then I'd start those two at Ipswich but as far as selling/replacing him goes, be careful what you wish for - we all wanted that new striker to bang in the goals for us last January to replace 'ineffective' Vardy and what happened? We signed one, only to see a regression in results and performance.

Nugent's all-round game has been better than it is at the minute, mind.

Think Vardy has won the most(Carlisle, Wigan, Barnsley). De Laet has only won 2 (Yeovil, Blackburn). Drinky has won a couple (Forest, Blackpool) Dyer has won 1 (Brum), King has won 1 (Wycombe) that's all from memory though so don't hold me to it.

Reason I used to take penalties was because it whacked at least 5/6 and possibly 10 goals onto what your real tally is at the end of the season. For a striker it should pretty much guarantee that top goalscorer trophy at the presentation night.

They still have to scored but it isn't unreasonable to change your expectation for the amount of goals you want from the penalty taker. I expect 15 from Nugent over a season, with pens I'd put the figure at 20.

Penalties aren't a complete lottery as I think it was no co-incidence that we were winning them a lot more when De Laet was in the side. pretty sure 3/4 of them came from him being fouled in the box - a lot due to pacey and intelligent runs. There's a luck element but there's a skill to it and I wouldn't be surprised if we started getting more once De Laet's back.

Nugent's definitely off form and if Wood & Vardy are both fully fit then I'd start those two at Ipswich but as far as selling/replacing him goes, be careful what you wish for - we all wanted that new striker to bang in the goals for us last January to replace 'ineffective' Vardy and what happened? We signed one, only to see a regression in results and performance.

Nugent's all-round game has been better than it is at the minute, mind.

We're definitely missing De Laet when we go forward, I like Moore but he's certainly better as a CB than LB.

I wonder how a Was/Moore CB partnership would work?

We're definitely missing De Laet when we go forward, I like Moore but he's certainly better as a CB than LB.

I wonder how a Was/Moore CB partnership would work?

So do I but I don't see it being experimented any time soon.

If De Laet is fit for Ipswich I'd be considering playing him on the right wing.

So do I but I don't see it being experimented any time soon.

If De Laet is fit for Ipswich I'd be considering playing him on the right wing.

I think he could excel in that position, certainly worth a try for 2-3 games.

I think he could excel in that position, certainly worth a try for 2-3 games.

Considering Knockaert's out I think it's the perfect time to take that risk. He's a good dribbler and he's got a good end product too - and whilst I don't think he's great defensively, he's at least good enough at it to offer cover from wide midfield.

I do fear that it'll be like the Andy King effect though. I always feared playing him as a more advanced midfielder would make him easier to mark, hence why I'd keep him where he is. What I mean is I wonder if De Laet will get the same space he does simply because he'd be far more targetted by Ipswich's defence.

To me penalties don't count when you are looking at a players goal scoring record (apart from the purpose of deciding the best penalty taker).

The simple reason is that the opportunity cost of scoring from a penalty is massively higher than scoring from open play.

If Nugent didn't take those penalties then someone else would have, which would most likely have resulted in a similar number of goals. The same can't be said for goals from open play or even goals from other set pieces like free kicks.

End of the day it's simple. Scoring penalties doesn't make you a good striker. Jose Luis Chilavert the old Paraguayan keeper scored something like 55 goals all from the penalty spot in his career. Doesn't mean if they stuck him upfront he would have banged goals in for fun it just meant he was immense at penalties. 

Nugent keeps missing chances that are criminal. Wide open headers from 6 yards out where he isn't even hitting the target?!? Time to be dropped. Wood loves a penalty too you know.

Archived