Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MrSpaM

Microtransactions

Interesting article on micro-transactions in next gen console games. Definitely worth listening to. Focuses of the XBO's Forza 5, which has a car you can unlock after a ridiculous amount of game time, alternatively you can pay £32 to download the single car. I honestly think this sort of thing is getting out of hand.

They do seem to make the challenges to unlock stuff like that ridiculously hard or unrealistically achievable, so that you almost feel forced into paying if you want whatever the item is - such as a car in Forza. 

I wouldn't have much of a problem with this if they made the challenges a lot more realistic.

It's a poison spreading through the games industry, but I guess with piracy and prevalent as it is, developers/publishers try to earn extra money through other means

For bonus post-release content, I think it's fair enough. When they're basically required (pay-to-win model) or locked content, it's deceptive and should be monitored by an industry body

The real danger comes from developers making games unplayable without spending money. I posted this on another gaming forum which basically sums up why micro-transactions are a cancer on gaming, and is a bit of an incite into why publishers and developers are trying to push people towards. The examples are extreme, but not far off the current situation.

"You can't seriously be suggesting, as a gamer, that you'd be happy with developers making unlockables almost impossible to get unless you devote a week of your life doing nothing but playing the game, and then saying "Oh but you can pay us $50 to unlock it right now!"? How can you possibly defend that? it's absurd. Have fun never being able to finish a game again because they've made the final part of the game so ludicrously difficult that the only way to beat it is to buy their 'cheat codes', because if people let publishers and developers get away with this sort of practice, that is the way games are going to go, every game being like an iphone app with micro-transactions left right and center.

What if in the next 'souls' game they decided, "Hey lets give the final boss 50,000,000 hp" and you then have the choice of fighting the final boss for 6 hours straight with your measly +2 sword that does 20 damage per hit, or you can 'buy' a sword for $60 that kills the final boss in one hit? again, how can you possibly defend this? That is what will happen if people don't stand up against these practices."

The real danger comes from developers making games unplayable without spending money. I posted this on another gaming forum which basically sums up why micro-transactions are a cancer on gaming, and is a bit of an incite into why publishers and developers are trying to push people towards. The examples are extreme, but not far off the current situation.

"You can't seriously be suggesting, as a gamer, that you'd be happy with developers making unlockables almost impossible to get unless you devote a week of your life doing nothing but playing the game, and then saying "Oh but you can pay us $50 to unlock it right now!"? How can you possibly defend that? it's absurd. Have fun never being able to finish a game again because they've made the final part of the game so ludicrously difficult that the only way to beat it is to buy their 'cheat codes', because if people let publishers and developers get away with this sort of practice, that is the way games are going to go, every game being like an iphone app with micro-transactions left right and center.

What if in the next 'souls' game they decided, "Hey lets give the final boss 50,000,000 hp" and you then have the choice of fighting the final boss for 6 hours straight with your measly +2 sword that does 20 damage per hit, or you can 'buy' a sword for $60 that kills the final boss in one hit? again, how can you possibly defend this? That is what will happen if people don't stand up against these practices."

Your right, the examples are extreme lol

I've, personally, never come across any microtransactions that make a single player experience unplayable without their inclusion, they've always been in there for the lazy/stupid so I do think it's a bit earlier to be worrying about the examples you give.

As I say the real danger is the multiplayer. EA are already experts at this, player packs in FIFA and the ability to improve your boxer in fight night are two prime examples. 

As usual Neogaf starts their latest drama campaign now the Xbox One and resolutiongate hate train has slowed down, whilst rest of the internet and gaming media follow suit like the good sheep they are.

Same old boring story. If no one buys them they'll go away. The problem is the rrp of a game is often not covering the cost of development.

As usual Neogaf starts their latest drama campaign now the Xbox One and resolutiongate hate train has slowed down, whilst rest of the internet and gaming media follow suit like the good sheep they are.

Same old boring story. If no one buys them they'll go away. The problem is the rrp of a game is often not covering the cost of development.

Unfortunate that people are stupid and lazy then.

Archived