Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Morgan's Contract situation.

Interesting.

I may be cynical but very few of our players would be good enough should we get promoted, and I include Wes and Kasper in that.

It is an odd situation, the gap is now so huge between Premiership and Championship standard, that if our current squad 'does the business' and gets us promotion, many of them will be fringe players at best. A fair few will be allowed to move on, probably to other Championship sides.

There is a sense of 'give us a contract now or else' about all this, if Wes or Schmiechel were given good contracts and we were promoted we could easily end up with just a couple of well paid reserves but if we miss out we would just have some more overpaid (for the division) players that we could not get rid of.

I appreciate that this reflects my view that neither Wes nor Schmeichel are clear premiership quality, don't take this the wrong way, they are both bloody good players, but the standards in the Premiership are now so high I doubt either would be a regular starter.

It's not about individual talent though. I would have thought you would appreciate that. Have you not seen enough in our performances against prem teams in the last few years that makes you think we could do some work. We're not going to set the world alight but I don't think we'd be guaranteed for the drop.

Oh god can you imagine if all 4 went for free at the end of the season.

That's highly possible (probable?)

I think it depends on promotion.

If we go up, they'll stay. If not, I suspect they'd be off.

Personally, if I were them I'd be holding off on a new contract. Even if we don't offer them one (or not a good enough one), I suspect there will be a queue to get their signature.

That's highly possible (probable?)

I think it depends on promotion.

If we go up, they'll stay. If not, I suspect they'd be off.

Personally, if I were them I'd be holding off on a new contract. Even if we don't offer them one (or not a good enough one), I suspect there will be a queue to get their signature.

Yes, this is always going to b e the case. I just hope we can hold on to them, though.

Pearson is the most interesting I reckon. He may well be offered a short term contract, with a pay cut!

It's not about individual talent though. I would have thought you would appreciate that. Have you not seen enough in our performances against prem teams in the last few years that makes you think we could do some work. We're not going to set the world alight but I don't think we'd be guaranteed for the drop.

Actually I think it is, not the kind of individual talent that might mean that a player wins a game on his own, but the kind of talent that puts in good quality performances in difficult, different circumstances and does so on a regular basis.

I feel that the group is very important too but at the moment I see a pretty uninspired team made up of players who are, in the main, better than most in this league, who win games by pressuring the opposition and forcing errors and winning games not entirely convincingly.

That might be what it takes to get out of this division but I can not see us surviving in the prem without massive changes in all respects of the playing side of the club. NFP may be capable of those changes, as may be some of our players but as of now this remains unproven.

Of course I would love to see us promoted and given the chance to establish ourselves but if it does happen, it will be an interesting time.

Whatever division we are in next season, these will be important players. I think we could be pretty competitive against the bottom 7 or 8 teams in the prem with the squad as it is now so if we added 4 or 5 quality players to it I think we'd have a decent shout of survival. All ifs and buts of course!

If we narrowly miss on on promotion ie; losing the playoff final, we'd still want those players and Nige wouldn't we? Obviously that will depend on finances and the playerd taking a cut. I'd love us to get these sorted but it seems a tough situation at present, just hope it doesn't cause issues on the pitch

In which case those on high contracts, Danns, Nugent, konch, sledge, kasper etc, are not worth it!

Kasper being the best value for money of those.

Sorry I don't agree with this. Yes in some cases but Nugent, Konchesky and Kasper are all pretty much regular starters who play in just about every game we play.

If you want to look at where the club is wasting its money then the following all on loan except one are the issue

SSL

Whitbread

Gallagher

Danns

Waghorn

Now I have no idea how much we are paying towards their wages but at a guess there must be potentially around 2.5million of wasted cash being invested by us as a business in these players. Just look at the number of minutes they have spent between them on the pitch in a Leicester shirt in the last 1 and a half seasons. Any business investing that kind of money into a part of its business would expect to see a better return. Obviously we aren't paying all of that at the moment but until we can shift these players off the books we are going to struggle to offer new contracts or buy in more players.

I suspect the current situation with player contracts is something both players and fans are going to have to get used to. If, and it is a big if, FFP is going to work then player salaries have to come down dramatically or revenue has to go up.

Maybe Sky and Bt will fight to show the games  but I doubt it. The premier league is just too big and now I see more money being diverted into that rather than trickling down the game to lower levels as Sky's business model would collapse without its live sport offering.

Of course players could get rid of agents and ask the clubs to pay them more on the basis there won't be agent fees involved. Agents are basically bleeding the game  at the lower levels for their own profits and don't really offer anything positive to the overall game at all. Otherwise players will have to accept shorter contracts on less money.

I may be in the minority on this one as I am actually pleased with the affect FFP is having on the game as a whole! IMO the balance of power has switched and the days of ridiculous wage demands from agents and players are numbered! The reason players are bleating and trying to get contracts sorted is because they no longer hold the Aces and long may that continue as it isn't sustainable for the majority of clubs. I say play to earn your contract lads.

I am in 2 minds.

The thought of an announcement that morgan, kasper and co have signed up to another club fills me with fear.  Also I now defenitly want pearson signed up.

On the other hand, its arguable that the players are playing for contracts and hence our league position, there is every risk the moment we give them a new contract performances drop off.

Sort of like our promotion season under mickey adams, those players knew they had to get promoted to get their backpay.

Archived