Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Darkon84

Wireless woes

First off, Mods, feel free to merge in to a pre-existing thread if necessary.

I've finally had enough of my terrible wireless connection to my PS3. The wireless is based downstairs and works absolutely perfectly all through the downstairs and (half of the time) upstairs. However, I'm now sick to the back teeth of the connection dropping out, while trying to use the PS3 or laptop upstairs. At the weekend, it got so bad, that it was dropping out and reconnecting every minute or so.

So, I'm looking in to getting a wireless booster or something. Has anyone had any experience with these? Any recommendations? Or any other way around the problem? Unfortunately, the wireless router set up at the minute cannot be moved elsewhere.

without wanting to sound flippant, have you considered buy a suitable length of ethernet cable and running it upstairs?

That's what I did after my 2nd 360 wifi adapter broke. Far more stable connection - I wouldn't use wifi for any sort of competitive gaming again

without wanting to sound flippant, have you considered buy a suitable length of ethernet cable and running it upstairs?

It's an option I've considered, but having literally only just had the place decorated, the wire would look a bit tatty (no offence) and would take far more time to pin down to the corners or the rooms/stairs it would have to go through. I'd be more willing to spend more on a decent booster or something. I wouldn't mind running a cable in the actual room itself, where the PS3 etc is though, which could be a compromise. Can't you get a type of booster to plug in to a wall socket, and then run the cable from that in to the back of the console?

I'd suggest either buying some 'ethernet over power' adapters for your house, that carry your internet connection through the power sockets in your house. These are really, really handy, and save running cables through your walls and stuff.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/networking/networking/powerline-home-networking/tp-link-tl-pa211kit-av200-mini-200-mbps-powerline-adapter-10991859-pdt.html

Or investing in a decent router if you are using one that was provided by your ISP.

How would you rate it for effectiveness? Ease of use? And over what distance?

That's pretty much what I had in mind. Do you use those then? Rating etc?

You just plug them into your wall sockets, ethernet cable from router to one of them, and a cable out the other one going to whatever you want to plug it into. I haven't had a single problem with them since I bought them, haven't dropped out once and the connections always good. It's really handy just being able to take them out and plug them in somewhere else if you want to do something in a different room as well.

You just plug them into your wall sockets, ethernet cable from router to one of them, and a cable out the other one going to whatever you want to plug it into. I haven't had a single problem with them since I bought them, haven't dropped out once and the connections always good. It's really handy just being able to take them out and plug them in somewhere else if you want to do something in a different room as well.

Superb, cheers mate.

Instead of plugging a cable into whatever you want to use you can get them that send a wireless signal so no wires. 

Darkon84 BE WARNED THESE DO NOT ALWAYS WORK. It depends how new your wiring / fuse box is and how it is wired. I suggest you get them from amazon or argos where they will take them back without question if they dont work.

I'd suggest either buying some 'ethernet over power' adapters for your house, that carry your internet connection through the power sockets in your house. These are really, really handy, and save running cables through your walls and stuff.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/networking/networking/powerline-home-networking/tp-link-tl-pa211kit-av200-mini-200-mbps-powerline-adapter-10991859-pdt.html

Or investing in a decent router if you are using one that was provided by your ISP.

I never knew that product existed - looks like a smart idea

It's an option I've considered, but having literally only just had the place decorated, the wire would look a bit tatty (no offence) and would take far more time to pin down to the corners or the rooms/stairs it would have to go through. I'd be more willing to spend more on a decent booster or something. I wouldn't mind running a cable in the actual room itself, where the PS3 etc is though, which could be a compromise. Can't you get a type of booster to plug in to a wall socket, and then run the cable from that in to the back of the console?

I did a 25m cable round my rooms and loads of frames and it looks fine. You can buy like 100 cable clips on ebay for £1, cable for £5 and an hours work clipping it all up and you're sorted. 

Well worth it to save all the annoyance and bullshit of wireless.

"Ethernet over power" has enabled me to get a 60mb connection from my living room to back room, which over wireless gave me around 3mb. I've not tested them further but to get full capacity around 10 metres away, I suspect it'd work just as well anywhere in the house.

I use those home plugs to provide bandwidth to my star box, do a job, although Ethernet is the way forward

If you have BT internet infinity like me, i inquired about getting there new box for  another room, they only charge £25 to put new cables in whatever room/wherever you want so might be worth asking BT what they would charge to put an extenstion in

You don't have to have unsightly cables clipped inside your house with a long Ethernet lead.

Wherever your wifi box is drill a small hole to the outside, clip up wall or behind drainpipe if poss. Into attic then drop down in a corner near your console, even better if you can hide it behind tall wardrobes or curtains

I opted to buy some BT homeplugs in the end. I looked at other brand which have all had good reviews, but I thought Id play it a bit safer, they match up with my BT Homehub stuff too. After a couple of tries to get them reading each other (which wasn't really a problem, probably my fault really), they work absolutely brilliantly.

Cheers to everyone who gave their suggestions and input :thumbup:

I would try a Homeplug where the signal is carried over the electricity wiring - more stable than wifi. However to make this work both upstairs and downstairs have to be on the same circuit. (sound obvious I know but at my house they aren't!).

Alternatively you could try getting rid of the crappy router your ISP will have given you and get a decent one one by a proper manufacturer (linksys, d-Link etc). But if youre with Sky you will first have to crack your password as it is locked - easy to do, just google for it

• 2 weeks later...

I would try a Homeplug where the signal is carried over the electricity wiring - more stable than wifi. However to make this work both upstairs and downstairs have to be on the same circuit. (sound obvious I know but at my house they aren't!).

Alternatively you could try getting rid of the crappy router your ISP will have given you and get a decent one one by a proper manufacturer (linksys, d-Link etc). But if youre with Sky you will first have to crack your password as it is locked - easy to do, just google for it

That's exactly what I did, got the homeplugs which carry it through the wiring in the house. Luckily enough, the area I wanted to use the plug in, is on the same circuit. Well, it's working pretty damn well anyway, so I'm chuffed :)

You don't have to have unsightly cables clipped inside your house with a long Ethernet lead.

Wherever your wifi box is drill a small hole to the outside, clip up wall or behind drainpipe if poss. Into attic then drop down in a corner near your console, even better if you can hide it behind tall wardrobes or curtains

Yeah, because that's not a fvcking ballache lol

Archived