Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Banks

Gary Taylor Fletcher

A luxury player? Are you sure

King is a luxury player in that he's a goal scorer but lightweight in defence and doesn't dictate the tempo of a match like the other 2. He's half of a centre midfielder, if you are playing 2 in there he isn't good enough to play the position as well as Drinkwater and James and he only fits if we are going to play 3 in midfield.

King is luxury player in that he's a goal scorer but lightweight in defence and doesn't dictate the tempo of a match like the other 2. He's half of a centre midfielder, if you are playing 2 in there he isn't good enough to play the position as well as Drinkwater and Jamars and he only fits if we are going to play 3 in midfield.

I think that's very harsh: James and Drinkwater have clearly established an excellent understanding, but I think King would probably walk into most other Championship sides.

King is a luxury player in that he's a goal scorer but lightweight in defence and doesn't dictate the tempo of a match like the other 2. He's half of a centre midfielder, if you are playing 2 in there he isn't good enough to play the position as well as Drinkwater and James and he only fits if we are going to play 3 in midfield.

I get where you're coming from, no he can't dictate the pace of a game in a midfield '2' to the same level that Drinkwater & James can

Wouldn't say luxury though, or lightweight in defence... his goalscoring record & ability to ghost in late into the box has made it seem that he's an attacking midfielder, reality is he reads a game really well and does most of his best work much deeper, even on the edge of our own box and then lays the ball off before joining in the attack himself, which is where he gets this deeper position from

Drinkwater & James are undoubtedly settled and do make our best duo, that's not even debatable.

Guest Col city fan

I get where you're coming from, no he can't dictate the pace of a game in a midfield '2' to the same level that Drinkwater & James can

Wouldn't say luxury though, or lightweight in defence... his goalscoring record & ability to ghost in late into the box has made it seem that he's an attacking midfielder, reality is he reads a game really well and does most of his best work much deeper, even on the edge of our own box and then lays the ball off before joining in the attack himself, which is where he gets this deeper position from

Drinkwater & James are undoubtedly settled and do make our best duo, that's not even debatable.

Pearson dropping King has coincided with our exemplary run of form. I've said this for two seasons. It's no coincidence. Some of our fans and surprisingly some of the better posters on here, have over-rated King for a long time.

King is fine in a midfield three but lightweight in a two. We now have more strength and energy in the middle of the park and finally, the midfield is now the lynchpin of our team.

I'm not knocking King. He's a good Championship midfielder. But the way we play does not accommodate King. This for me has been the most important change Pearson has made. Our central midfield is now excellent at this level.

If we get promoted with a few games to spare I would imagine squad players will get some game time.

Not much point starting Phillips in those circumstances, we all know what he can do and he's unlikely to be playing next season. Much better to give a bit of experience to the youngsters.

Guest Col city fan

For me, again unlike most it would seem, GTF is a strange signing. The first time I saw him, I said he didn't look good enough for a title chasing side. He's carrying and just too slow at this level. If the primary purpose is to give his experience to the younger lads, then fine. But it's of no surprise that he's way down he pecking order on the field. Phillips, at 40, looks a better proposition. With Phillips you can see class. With GTF I've never seen it.

Before all the do-gooders accuse me of being on a hate campaign.. No... I've said this from the first time I saw him. I assume however, that his age and experience are really helping in the dressing-room.

For me, again unlike most it would seem, GTF is a strange signing. The first time I saw him, I said he didn't look good enough for a title chasing side. He's carrying and just too slow at this level. If the primary purpose is to give his experience to the younger lads, then fine. But it's of no surprise that he's way down he pecking order on the field. Phillips, at 40, looks a better proposition. With Phillips you can see class. With GTF I've never seen it.

Before all the do-gooders accuse me of being on a hate campaign.. No... I've said this from the first time I saw him. I assume however, that his age and experience are really helping in the dressing-room.

It's rare for me to disagree with you Col but he is good at holding the ball up and linking up with other players. Maybe not as fit as KP granted but perhaps offers a different type of outlet

I think GTF can consider himself a little bit unfortunate to be out of the picture completely. But I also thought he could co sided himself a little bit fortunate to be signed by us anyway. I like the guy but he's not the quality we will need beyond this season regardless of promotion. Could do a job for some of the other teams though as he is a technically strong player.

Bottom line is after January we've had Mahrez and Phillips on the bench usually over GTF and Schlupp and I know which pair are more fitting for a championship leading side. That being said GTF is no complete shambles and a decent enough player so may yet have a role to play. He is a useful option to have in the squad especially as we don't have another like him.

Guest Col city fan

It's rare for me to disagree with you Col but he is good at holding the ball up and linking up with other players. Maybe not as fit as KP granted but perhaps offers a different type of outlet

Fair play buddy, it's all opinions..

Agreed. We've seen his ability to hold up the ball at Watford, where he slipped the ball through to Dyer who made it 3. He has also played a good role in filling in that gap between midfield and striker when required, QPR away springs to mind. Win the ball, hold the ball and bring others into play.

Feel for GTF because I've been impressed with him yet he can't make the subs bench now, but that's football. Got to realise you're part of a squad.

Pearson dropping King has coincided with our exemplary run of form. I've said this for two seasons. It's no coincidence. Some of our fans and surprisingly some of the better posters on here, have over-rated King for a long time.

King is fine in a midfield three but lightweight in a two. We now have more strength and energy in the middle of the park and finally, the midfield is now the lynchpin of our team.

I'm not knocking King. He's a good Championship midfielder. But the way we play does not accommodate King. This for me has been the most important change Pearson has made. Our central midfield is now excellent at this level.

We've had excellent runs of form and been top of the Championship more than once when King's been in the team and this "exemplary" run, welcome as it is, has been severely threatened on several occasions and has no guarantee of continuing indefinitely.

Seems we were both talking two years ago and at other times in the past - me about the fact that King didn't seem to be improving, was being asked to be a jack of All Trades and was so punch-drunk he was starting to play sideways and backwards football a la Butch Wilkins instead of the making the decisive passes and having the decisive shots which earned him goals at a rate our present midfielders will never manage.

One of the big differences is that too often King didn't have the benefit of today's combined attack in which Knockaert and Vardy are vastly better players than even when King last played a full game alongside them.

Truth is, as I said at the time, that King needed to move on and to join a club which did properly suit his style and which allowed him to use his strengths which are the ability to pass the ball quickly,accurately and effectively but also to score 10 goals a season. Instead he got stale and started playing the averages...the sure sign of a player in need of a new challenge.

He's a good enough workhorse but has never really been athlete enough to fulfill the role of defender, central midfielder and attacking midfielder at the same time.        

I feel a bit for Kingy at the moment, he's competing against our two best players who dictate how we play. Even when they aren't at their best they can still contribute by scoring excellent goals in the Watford match. As has been said, you can't drop them. But King played his part earlier in the season with a couple of fantastic goals and played a great part at Watford in the 3-0 win (even recently he came on at Leeds to some effect and put in a vital shift to see us through at Bournemouth).

He's in the Wales squad for next week so hopefully he'll get some much needed playing time.

Guest Col city fan

I feel a bit for Kingy at the moment, he's competing against our two best players who dictate how we play. Even when they aren't at their best they can still contribute by scoring excellent goals in the Watford match. As has been said, you can't drop them. But King played his part earlier in the season with a couple of fantastic goals and played a great part at Watford in the 3-0 win (even recently he came on at Leeds to some effect and put in a vital shift to see us through at Bournemouth).

He's in the Wales squad for next week so hopefully he'll get some much needed playing time.

You always do feel a bit for King. He's a big lad, he'll be fine.

At the time we signed GTF, Pearson wouldn't have known that he would get Phillips further down the line, would he?

Do you really think GTF is better suited to the PL than our first team regulars? Are you on the wind-up?

i never said he was better suited i said your first team regulars are not good enough for the prem, all i stated that he started doing well and at least is capable of playing a full game if needed , phillips isnt he hasnt payed a full game for a good while

and if you think your first 11 are suitable for the prem then your deluded.

The thing with GTF is that he needs time.

He came to us clearly unfit and over-weight. To get fit and shed some of that weight he needs to be playing consistently but for a team that's top of the league and going for promotion we can't afford to give him that time, and we don't need to put him in at the expense of someone who's fit and ready to play straight-away (like Wood).

The best thing GTF can do is ask for a loan move somewhere. He goes out and gets 8-10 games under his belt, possibly earning himself something more permanent there for next season, and we have the option to recall a sharper and fitter GTF in an emergency.

He's not been hard done to, he's had his chances. And had he been in a more 'professional' state when he came in then he might have been able to establish himself a bit better than he has. Phillips is 40 and hadn't played for a while when he arrived but he's soon got up to speed.

Thanks Gary but you really ought to be training, not posting on FT, if you want to get in the squad

im commenting on why offer players options, just offer them a one year deal take it or leave it simple really,

i reply to this post because i have always followed blackpool as some good friends live in blackpool and ive been to some games with them (im an everton fan) and was following how he is getting on, i read the comments and he always played well for blackpool in the championship and had a good season in the prem he scored 5 goals and mainly played in midfield very seldom played upfront , he was a very important player for them and was never fast but always had a good brain, you seem to continually comment on his waistline and he was never the slimest at blackpool and it never hindered him in the prem. i thought he had started finding his feet with you when he got a few assists and scored and thought he would improve as the season got to the latter stages but seems pearson has brought in phillips to make sure he doesnt get enough appearances my comments regarding this were only asking why offer players options and not just a one season deal, im sure there a plenty of players who would of accepted a season long deal who you you could of signed or even get a loan signing from the prem for the season

i reply to this post because i have always followed blackpool as some good friends live in blackpool and ive been to some games with them (im an everton fan) and was following how he is getting on, i read the comments and he always played well for blackpool in the championship and had a good season in the prem he scored 5 goals and mainly played in midfield very seldom played upfront , he was a very important player for them and was never fast but always had a good brain, you seem to continually comment on his waistline and he was never the slimest at blackpool and it never hindered him in the prem. i thought he had started finding his feet with you when he got a few assists and scored and thought he would improve as the season got to the latter stages but seems pearson has brought in phillips to make sure he doesnt get enough appearances my comments regarding this were only asking why offer players options and not just a one season deal, im sure there a plenty of players who would of accepted a season long deal who you you could of signed or even get a loan signing from the prem for the season

I don't think Gary Taylor-Fletcher is being wasted at Leicester City it's just that we have such great depth in squad right now that he doesn't get a sniff in but in the near future I'm sure there will be the chance for the odd appearance here and there I mean he's competing against King, Drinkwater, James and Hammond and we usually play with three centre-midfielders and at least three of those names mentioned are simply better at the moment but I do appreciate what GTF can offer when on the pitch and that is vast experience then again you don't need to be playing day in day out I can also see him being a massive aid behind the scenes assisting the younger ones with hints and tricks in training besides at his age, there's hardly any room for improvement he will regress faster as the years fly by also mentioning Phillips isn't a fair comparison as I don't see GTF competing for a spot up front I've always seen him as an attacking midfielder, not as a striker.

You always do feel a bit for King. He's a big lad, he'll be fine.

Yep, don't want to have to take my posters of him down from the wall should he move.

Or maybe I feel a bit of sympathy for him that he hasn't done a lot wrong and the two players he's competing against to play in the side have been possibly the best in the league in their position and are in undroppable form presently.

Don't really understand what we get from bringing Super Kev on for 5 minutes at the end when we are 2-0 up, and it's rather suspicious that he has came on in every game whatever the circumstances of the game. Surely in these scenarios it would be better to give some of the lads who haven't had as much time on the pitch such as Kingy, GTF, Deano, Miquel etc.

Archived