Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Banks

Gary Taylor Fletcher

Don't really understand what we get from bringing Super Kev on for 5 minutes at the end when we are 2-0 up, and it's rather suspicious that he has came on in every game whatever the circumstances of the game. Surely in these scenarios it would be better to give some of the lads who haven't had as much time on the pitch such as Kingy, GTF, Deano, Miquel etc.

It could all be contract-related, who knows? Us having to pay more in case of more appearances maybe. It's happened before.

Don't really understand what we get from bringing Super Kev on for 5 minutes at the end when we are 2-0 up, and it's rather suspicious that he has came on in every game whatever the circumstances of the game. Surely in these scenarios it would be better to give some of the lads who haven't had as much time on the pitch such as Kingy, GTF, Deano, Miquel etc.

Agree with this. Thought the game was screaming out give game time for King whereas we have needed Phillips far more in the last two matches vs Watford and Forest. Those guys need game time or they could be sluggish when they need to step in.

It could all be contract-related, who knows? Us having to pay more in case of more appearances maybe. It's happened before.

I hope not. It would be a silly situation to get ourselves in. Phillips has been a fine addition and rescued us some valuable points but we don't need him every game - Ipswich at home when we are winning comfortably. Bringing him on in those games is a bit of a wasted substitution in my book.

Guest Col city fan

I think GTF will leave in the summer with most people posting something like 'he was never really good enough for us though really' but wish him well.. etc.

• 1 month later...

Gary Taylor-Fletcher is hoping he has done enough to trigger a clause in his contract that will give him another year with Leicester City.

The striker revealed back in November that there was an option in his City deal, which expires this summer, that could extend his spell with the club if he reached 20 appearances.

Taylor-Fletcher made his 20th appearance for City on Tuesday night, and scored his second goal for the club in the 4-1 home defeat to Brighton.

The 32-year-old said he would now wait and see what happens, and he is targeting only his second start for the club at Reading on Monday.

"Whatever happens with that (the contract) happens, but it was nice to get a goal," he said.

"I am itchingicon1.png for a start and have been itching for the last few months.

"I have to be patient. When I went on, I thought I did well so, hopefully, that will put me into the gaffer's mind. I will have to wait and see."

Taylor-Fletcher, who achieved promotion via the play-offs with Blackpool four years ago, certainly wants to be a part of City's first campaign back in the Premier League.

He believes Nigel Pearson's men are well-equipped to compete with English football's elite, but he said recruitment was now key.

"As a team, this is a far bettericon1.png squad," he said. "At Blackpool, we had good individuals and a good spirit, and it is quite similar at Leicester.

"We are well-equipped to go up. People may say this player or that player aren't good enough but, at Blackpool, we weren't given any chance of even getting a corner, let alone any points and we went down with 39 points, the highest total to go down.

"This Leicester squad is just as good, if not better, than we had there.

"It all depends on what players we can bring in and whether they are the right players. We don't want any prima donnas. But that is up to the manager, chairman and backroom staff.

"Whatever happens will happen, but we will give a good accounticon1.png of ourselves."

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/hope-ve-new-contract-City/story-20936228-detail/story.html#ixzz2yTWEnZuD

Definaty worth a year, he has the best hold up play in our current squad. We will be under the cosh an awful lot next year, so when we do get it out of defence we will need someone who can hold the ball so we can get our midfield up in support. If we had Wood upfront not only would the ball come straight back, it would probably bounce straight back off his chest!

Considering that we arent looking to get in that many players, I think he is worth keeping on. I have always been reasonably impressed when he comes on so its a no lose situation to give him one more year.

If (and I dont think we will) we go down, it is an easy cut to our wages as well.

I like him, but we are going to need better players than him and Phillips who we only use as impact subs in the champ. We need players we can put up top to start games and know they can perform in case of injury and suspension to the first choices.

Wouldn't keep him but I do think he's done more in his little cameos than other back up strikers.

I don't think we can do well next year if GTF is part if a match day squad, if he's happy to be around the squad but not get any action then fair enough but we will only need to keep him or Phillips for that, not both.

Like Kev im sure he's good to have around the training ground. But worthy of a year extension with a Premier League club? No. We need quality next year, and we'll end up bringing in players who replace some of the first team, who will then drop to the bench. Where is he going to fit in? Assuming we buy another striker, We'll have Nugent Vardy Wood (Schlupp), and the new striker...plus GTF. I have really liked him, though. He's contributed very well and the pace of the championship he has dealt with, I'm just not sure he can step it up again at 32 years old.

GTF deserved his goal on Brighton. Just a shame his 100th was in a 1-4 defeat. He came on, tried (as usual) and did more in 20/25 minutes (or however long he was on for) than most of the others did in 90.

As a fringe squad player, probably only used due to injuries/suspensions or occasionally from the bench, I'd keep GTF for the Premier rather than Phillips.

He has a Premier league touch and almost instinctive awareness, even if he lacks the pace and stamina to play regularly. He also holds the ball up well, has decent body strength and wins flick-ons, at Championship level, at least.

From that interview, it sounds like he has a very good attitude, too (though I'm sure that applies to Phillips, as well).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived