Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Banks

Gary Taylor Fletcher

If GTF plays 20 games we have to give him another years contract, I think part of the reason we signed Phillips was because the club didn't think he was worth another year and didn't want to trigger that clause.

Was my exact thinking and was gonna post something similar,wasn't sure how many games he had to play to trigger the contract issue.

He'll at least be on the bench Saturday, and I would even expect him to get game time if we're seeing out a narrow lead.

As we all said when Phillips was signed, GTF is best used when defending a lead and Kev when chasing one.

Desperately unlucky to lose his place as he hasn't put a foot wrong in a blue shirt and contributed to some vital goals - and I'd say his goal versus a tricky Bolton was itself vital to finish the job when we were defending a narrow lead. Deserves another shot.

Guest Col city fan

Nothing against him but I've never thought he's good enough for a title chasing team, on the field. I've not seen in him what others claim to have done.

Off the field, he's exactly the type of seasoned pro we need at the club (and needed last season too). I doubt we'll see much of him now unless we pick up injuries.

Remember he has a clause in his contract which stipulates that if he plays in 20 games he will get a one year extension in his contract.

Can't see him playing enough to trigger that. Done a decent job for us but surely he was only brought in as a short term option

so sign another player and pay his wages to stop a player from getting another contract, why bother signing him in first place? why not just get a player and not give them any options, seems like a waste of money to begin with, he started doing well once he got a few games under his belt and looked a good option, but now hes not playing people are back slagging him off. and as for not being good enough for prem i dont think you have many players good enough and the last few games he came on he did well.

so sign another player and pay his wages to stop a player from getting another contract, why bother signing him in first place? why not just get a player and not give them any options, seems like a waste of money to begin with, he started doing well once he got a few games under his belt and looked a good option, but now hes not playing people are back slagging him off. and as for not being good enough for prem i dont think you have many players good enough and the last few games he came on he did well.

At the time we signed GTF, Pearson wouldn't have known that he would get Phillips further down the line, would he?

Do you really think GTF is better suited to the PL than our first team regulars? Are you on the wind-up?

Taylor-Fletcher was never signed to play a big role. I like him but he's simply not at the level of Phillips.

According to Pearson anyway it seems. I'd personally be building our whole squad around him. We'd need a pretty big squad lol

Phillips has taken his role now. I used to think Taylor-Fletcher would be brought on when we were winning to hold the ball up and slow things down while Phillips could be thrown on when we needed a goal. Looks like Kevin's being used for both jobs now.

He is a very useful guy to have standing in and amongst the chicken wings.

Sorry  :P

Several players are worthy of a game - it's one of the reasons for our increased strength - but Pearson can only pick his team and his choice for the bench. It's that simple.

I'm sure there'll be compensations in the wage packet and in the rewards for being in a squad that climbs to the Premiership for all that there will be frustrations.

I can't imagine Kingy's too pleased just sitting down on matchdays but it's hard to make a case for anyone's inclusion with the team on such an impressive unbeaten run and blazing a trail like a comet at the top of the table.        

The thing with GTF is that he needs time.

He came to us clearly unfit and over-weight. To get fit and shed some of that weight he needs to be playing consistently but for a team that's top of the league and going for promotion we can't afford to give him that time, and we don't need to put him in at the expense of someone who's fit and ready to play straight-away (like Wood).

The best thing GTF can do is ask for a loan move somewhere. He goes out and gets 8-10 games under his belt, possibly earning himself something more permanent there for next season, and we have the option to recall a sharper and fitter GTF in an emergency.

He's not been hard done to, he's had his chances. And had he been in a more 'professional' state when he came in then he might have been able to establish himself a bit better than he has. Phillips is 40 and hadn't played for a while when he arrived but he's soon got up to speed.

We have one of the smallest squads in the league. Even so, its inevitable that there will be a few left out of the match day squad. It doesn't mean they all need to be out on loan playing first team football. If we get a few injuries, it will help us to have players that have been training with the first team, who can gel straight away and know the team's tactics and game plan inside out. I'd much prefer GTF playing his current role in the squad than out on loan with a recall clause.

Thanks Gary but you really ought to be training, not posting on FT, if you want to get in the squad

Archived