Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AoWW

Moving music from old laptop to new ultrabook - iTunes

I recently got a new ultrabook and want to be able to access all my music from it - presumably I need to find, and copy (using an external drive?) all my music files across to the new machine? Or is there an easier, obvious, way I'm missing? :unsure: 

I use iTunes - is there a way I can use this to transfer across? :blink: 

You can redownload any songs you have bought on iTunes onto 3 machines from your iTunes account. Any other music you will need to transfer onto a usb stick and move it across. Then just add them back into your iTunes library on your new device

There should be a folder dedicated to your iTunes library.

On my Mac, it's Music>iTunes>iTunes Media.

Other than that, depending on your Windows version, you can find the files here:

• Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\
  • Windows Vista: C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes\
  • Windows 7: C:\Users\username\My Music\iTunes\
  • Windows 8: C:\Users\username\My Music\iTunes\

With newer laptops and iTunes, you can access all your purchased music via iTunes directly and re-download it to your new laptop (in connection with your user account).

Or you transfer all your files in the iTunes folder onto a USB stick or external hard drive. USB 3.0 grants a bit faster speeds for the transfers.

I've done this loads of times. Basically copy the whole iTunes folder and then when you've installed iTunes on your new system, you can just replace the folder. Just make sure your new iTunes is the same version, or newer.

• 3 weeks later...

It's worth remembering that because your music might be all over the place, ensure that they are all in the iTunes folder first before copying the iTunes music folder. The way to do this is File > Library > Organise Library. Tick the 'Consolidate files' option.

Then go to your My Music\iTunes\iTunes Media and copy everything to an external HDD

Archived