Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The People's Hero

Free Software

Hi All,

Bit of assistance required. I have a new laptop coming - nothing flash, just a replacement for one damaged recently and insurance has finally come to the rescue.

1) I know about openoffice, but I have real office on the previous laptop. Since that is now kaput, is there anyway I can get the license 'transferred' so I can activate office on the new computer? Or not? If not, is OpenOffice still the best free alternative? Office was the main thing I used the computer for, so it may be worth me paying for. I've not used OpenOffice recently, is it pretty much as good?

2) Is there any other free software anyone would recommend? I use skype, so that's one to grab... but what is the best free anti-virus (AVG?)... etc etc?

Appreciate it.

Best free antivirus is Avast.

In terms of getting your key for Office, sometimes Microsoft are actually quite reasonable about handing keys out. My dad has called them up in the past saying he lost his key and they gave him a new one. Worth a go.

Alternatively if you can still use the old computer, check the registry.

Best free antivirus is Avast.

In terms of getting your key for Office, sometimes Microsoft are actually quite reasonable about handing keys out. My dad has called them up in the past saying he lost his key and they gave him a new one. Worth a go.

Alternatively if you can still use the old computer, check the registry.

Not an option, it ended up with a surprising amount of rain water inside it and refused to turn on thereafter. I had to send it off to be fixed, but it was beyond economic repair, which is a result in some ways (betterment & I regularly back up) but a pain in others (software/registration keys etc).

I'll contact Microsoft anyway, thanks for the advice.

With office it depends - if it's registered to a Microsoft account then it's easy - after me last laptop was knicked in October I transferred it to this'un. It's a simple job - log into Microsoft office (office.microsoft.com/en-gb) then go to install office in the top right. You've got install information.- you can deactivate installs from there and install it on the computer you're on.

GIMP (seriously) is decent.

It really is. Great piece of kit for free.

Microsoft Security Essentials is - as far as I'm concerned - the best free antivirus out there, if you're on a Windows machine. Combine it with MalwareBytes AntiMalware (free version) and you're laughing. :)

Hi All,

Bit of assistance required. I have a new laptop coming - nothing flash, just a replacement for one damaged recently and insurance has finally come to the rescue.

1) I know about openoffice, but I have real office on the previous laptop. Since that is now kaput, is there anyway I can get the license 'transferred' so I can activate office on the new computer? Or not? If not, is OpenOffice still the best free alternative? Office was the main thing I used the computer for, so it may be worth me paying for. I've not used OpenOffice recently, is it pretty much as good?

2) Is there any other free software anyone would recommend? I use skype, so that's one to grab... but what is the best free anti-virus (AVG?)... etc etc?

Appreciate it.

If you're using the pc a lot in the evening I'd highly recommend f.lux. It warms up the colour balance and it's a lot nicer on your eyes. Takes a little while to get used to as it's a bit orangey but you can set it on a slow transition and after a week you won't notice it.

http://justgetflux.com/

It really is. Great piece of kit for free.

Microsoft Security Essentials is - as far as I'm concerned - the best free antivirus out there, if you're on a Windows machine. Combine it with MalwareBytes AntiMalware (free version) and you're laughing. :)

this and add Spybot.

The laptop I'm getting had a 16gb ssd I've noted

What sort of stuff should I put on there rather than the usual

Hard drive?

You won't even get windows on there I don't think :P

Put all your regular programs on there. Itunes, VLC, photo/video editing. Whatever you use most basically.

The laptop I'm getting had a 16gb ssd I've noted

What sort of stuff should I put on there rather than the usual

Hard drive?

SSD drive should hold your Operating System and programs you use the most, because it is very quick. Your secondary drive should hold files, such as music. Eg. Install iTunes on your SSD drive but have the music folder in your normal drive and have iTunes point to that.

Archived