Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Legend_in_blue

Thief

Pre ordered last night looking forward to it!

£35 wow really, where did you find that?

Gonna have to be good enough to get me off battlefield for 5 mins at least ;)

from Simply Games: http://www.simplygames.com/search.php?k=thief+the+bank+heist+edition&pc=All

also Game Collection have it for £33.95 http://www.thegamecollection.net/all-products?title=Thief&keywords=thief 

Not tried Game Collection myself, but Simply Games are pretty good, you can get a tiny but of money back too via Quidco.

as for the Thief in general, Looking forward to trying it, most of the team that made it are the ones who worked on the last Deus Ex, so Im expecting it to be half decent.

Also interested to see what this companion app for the game is like. 

Great series of games, Metal age being the highlight, although will be waiting to see what difference there is between generations before committing a purchase. Expecting this to be one of the first titles to exhibit a massive difference in versions. 

i wouldnt be 100% sure of that, as I think the game was already in production on last gen before the new ones was announced. by no means is it a port on the PS4/Xbox1 tho.

Thief outputs at a native 1080p resolution on PlayStation 4 and a native 900p resolution on Xbox One, Square Enix has confirmed to Eurogamer.

Both versions run at 30 frames per second.

Thief is the latest multiplatform next-generation game to perform best on PS4, following in the footsteps of the likes of Infinity Ward's Call of Duty: Ghosts. This week Kojima Productions confirmed that Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes would output on PS4 at 1080p and on Xbox One at 720p.

The difference in resolution with Thief isn't quite as stark as it is with Call of Duty and Metal Gear Solid. Thief's resolution on Xbox One mirror's that of Assassin's Creed 4 and Ryse, both of which output at 900p and 30fps on Xbox One.

"You really need good eyes to see the difference," game director Nicolas Cantin told Eurogamer of the resolution difference between PS4 and Xbox One, before insisting the Xbox One version "is as good as the PS4 version".

For Cantin, and others on the design team, the Xbox One version's resolution "doesn't make much of a difference".

"As developers, no," he continued. "As engineers, yeah. The engineers, for sure. But for us, as creative director or art director or level designer, we gave the same data. After that it's a more technological aspect of the game. The engineers have to manage that."

For Cantin, the difference is more pronounced when you compare the current-gen versions of the stealth action game to the next-gen versions - as you'd expect.

"The immersion is more [on next-gen]," he said. "We put more detail in, more special effects. But at the same time, we kept the same gameplay experience with the current-gen and the next-gen versions."

Looks great from what I've seen of it. Some great remakes and reboots coming out recently. Shadow Warrior last year was a fantastic remake, great fun and really gave off the retro feel of gun and run. Then there are the reboots of this and Wolfenstein on slightly bigger budgets that look great. Really looking forward to giving this a play through, looks to have great replay value as well with different options to take. Will be good to try and get 0 kills through the whole game.

Early reviews looking like it's going to get 4/5 - 8/10 across the board, good but nothing ground breaking. Not a massive graphical improvement on next gen either.

The general feel is worse than the one you describe imo. Its averaging out at low 70s.

You read the reviews and they're very inconsistent with each other as to what is actually wrong with it. One says one thing which is praised by another. Very confusing.

Unfortunately I think its a case of trying to appeal to too many people on too many platforms. The sooner devs concentrate solely on ps4 the better imo.

Its not put me off, not at £35 compared to say ac3 at £55. Price cannot be criticised.

But to criticise the game for weak combat mechanics when its a stealth game are baffling. Skyrim doesnt exactly do combat well either. You could argue a case for infinite as well, always using the same plasmids over and over again.

Critics are not being fair and to the point. You cant argue for next gen mechanics when its a last gen port.

Enough said. Ill post a review up later this week.

Me too.

I think it's a case of ramping up the difficulty a lot and taking time with it.

Many of the criticisms centre on the city hub and load times. Deadly Shadows played just like that. It's a shame that everything has to hang around a seamless experience with great story telling thats what the critics will tell you but imo old school deserves some recognition. Modern gaming is too easy, too convenient.

The actual gameplay in all the reviews is being praised highly - such a shame then that modern expectations call for something else!

It'll be interesting to see what scores are served up for Metal Gear and infamous next month. You can be sure Call of Titanfall will score highly - it's not as if the market is saturated with original fps experiences.

Me too.

I think it's a case of ramping up the difficulty a lot and taking time with it.

Many of the criticisms centre on the city hub and load times. Deadly Shadows played just like that. It's a shame that everything has to hang around a seamless experience with great story telling thats what the critics will tell you but imo old school deserves some recognition. Modern gaming is too easy, too convenient.

The actual game play in all the reviews is being praised highly - such a shame then that modern expectations call for something else!

It'll be interesting to see what scores are served up for Metal Gear and infamous next month. You can be sure Call of Titanfall will score highly - it's not as if the market is saturated with original fps experiences.

Mixed reviews on the story, and the game hasn't been reviewed as being particularly difficult, in fact from what I've seen it's actually quite easy compared to Dishonored as the AI is dumb and easy to trick (in keeping with most theif games although back in 1998 you could get away with that) and the checkpoint system is very generous. Certain aspects of the game-play have been praised others have been criticized. I think you should probably play the game before trying to make a martyr out of it. Although you managed to force yourself to enjoy Knack so I doubt you'll have a problem getting on with this. 

Mixed reviews on the story, and the game hasn't been reviewed as being particularly difficult, in fact from what I've seen it's actually quite easy compared to Dishonored as the AI is dumb and easy to trick (in keeping with most theif games although back in 1998 you could get away with that) and the checkpoint system is very generous. Certain aspects of the game-play have been praised others have been criticized. I think you should probably play the game before trying to make a martyr out of it. Although you managed to force yourself to enjoy Knack so I doubt you'll have a problem getting on with this.

Knack isn't as bad as it's overall 54 score on metacritic. The user ratings are 6.6 which is approaching what I'd give it. I've finished it but haven't gone back to it since and I doubt I will. So for me I'd give it 6.8. It didn't draw me in like Resogun which I platinumed.

As for Thief I will go through this on some high end difficulty settings. Master difficulty I think it's called. Possibly custom but we'll see. If the AI is poor there's little point with normal settings. I'm not commenting more on it until I've played it. But there are some good reviews out there.

Straight off, the reviews of this game are way off the mark. I'd even go as far as saying that some are outright lies, just not truthful, plain and simple. Everything supposedly negative about this game is just not true.

Load times of 20-30 seconds, not true.

Dumb AI, not true.

Choppy cut scenes, not true.

Lip synching issues, not true.

Awkward touch pad controls, not true.

Awkward movement over obstacles, jumps etc., not true.

Confusing story, not true.

Claustrophobic level design, not true.

In fact, the only negative that is true are the voices that you can hear constantly at the same pitch/volume wherever you are. Easily fixed with a patch, hopefully.

It's a great game, a thinking mans game, and it deserves some credit. Played in the correct manner, at master thief level, its stealth at its finest.

Oh, and one more thing, this is a old gen port, so reviewing it as a next gen title is totally ridiculous. Everyone ought to pick this up, you'll be in for a surprise.

Give it a go. :)

Archived