Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LeicesterBran

What Game Are You Playing At The Moment ?

4 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I should get back to playing through AC Valhalla at some point - been that long though that I think I would need to start again and I really cba for another Ubisoft 100+ hour game at the moment lol

Compared to Mirage, it's very hard to class it as an AC game.  It's so far removed from that original core assassination/stealth gameplay it becomes mundane after 50 or so hours.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Compared to Mirage, it's very hard to class it as an AC game.  It's so far removed from that original core assassination/stealth gameplay it becomes mundane after 50 or so hours.  

I am quite enjoying 10-15 hour games at the moment as I can usually get through them in a week

Gears of War, Resident Evil, Ghostwire Tokyo, Dave the Diver etc.

I am off work next week with nothing planned so trying to decide whether this is when I decide to dive into another long game and if so which one haha

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Any shorter rpg games people can recommend? 

Only game I've completed in years is titan fall 2. 

I just don't have the attention span for 100 hour games. 

Xbox BTW, preferably gamepass

A really good RPG is Sea of Stars. I believe its on Xbox gamepass. Good combat system with a good story. Cant remember how many hours it took me to 100%. Maybe around the 25 hour mark

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

A really good RPG is Sea of Stars. I believe its on Xbox gamepass. Good combat system with a good story. Cant remember how many hours it took me to 100%. Maybe around the 25 hour mark

I second that. Great game.

8 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Any shorter rpg games people can recommend? 

Only game I've completed in years is titan fall 2. 

I just don't have the attention span for 100 hour games. 

Xbox BTW, preferably gamepass

I'm not sure if it's still on Gamepass (it was) but Firewatch is a great short game. 

On 31/07/2024 at 09:05, kingcarr21 said:

I almost brought this yesterday but went for Prince of Persia instead. Let me know your final thoughts please. Im in the middle of Black Flag and its giving me the urge to blast some more AC games 

AC Mirage will take you roughly 30 hours to platinum.  Including the additional Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves mission (which is 60 Ubi credits from the store - get this and the Altair costume for another 60 credits as you won't get any further free credits to spend) and a final contract that becomes available after the main story is done, you're looking at an extra hour beyond that.

It's the best game since the Ezio trilogy imo.  Basim came across quite unlikeable in Valhalla and I didn't care much for him.  Following Mirage, I hope they continue to use him in future games as the story involving him throughout, especially at the end of Mirage, is brilliantly done and ties in well with his motives in Valhalla.  There's a certain point in the story which I never saw coming and the way it is executed is brilliant.  Basim has grown on me, if Ubi can get some current day stuff going again like they did with Desmond, the games will be all the more better for it.  The use of the soundtrack throughout also adds to it and the rendition of Ezio's Family here and how it fits in is the best since AC2.  Valhalla was exhausting to sit through and Mirage offers up a total change of pace.  It takes some getting used to as the game is all about planning moves, scouting guards, using hidden areas, blending in with the crowds, hiring merchants, eavesdropping and making use of all the tools available.  It's basically AC1 done superbly well in that respect.  

The setting of Baghdad is excellent.  Clever little touches here and there add to the flow of the parkour around the city and it's very well put together.  There are collectables but they are few and far between in comparison with previous games which never makes that part of the game a chore at all.  The emphasis is on picking contracts, investigations, planning moves, being an assassin and escaping.  There are several historical references which Ubi have done well with here.  Took my time with these and learnt a few bits and pieces along the way.  

In terms of performance, the game is the best looking AC game created.  However, I found the game stutters on the map screen for some reason and there's the odd screen tear here or there but apart from that it runs well.

If there is a negative, then again combat is the weakest area of the game.  At first it is tricky to get the hang of, as it is different to the 125 hours plus of button mashing that Valhalla implemented, but once you get used to the parry system, it's too easy.  Probably will be AC Shadows downfall unless it ends up being as good as Tsushima.  

So yes, go out and buy the game.  It's roughly 20 quid at the minute.  Bargain!  It's short compared to Valhalla, Odyssey and Origins, but it's a quality 30 hours that never loses focus or feels overly bloated with mindless raids, or pointless side quests or hunting down 1000+ chests.  As it's in my top 5 now I'd put it here:  AC2, AC2 Brotherhood, AC Mirage, AC Revelations, AC Origins.

And this soundtrack is a masterpiece especially with how it fits in with the game (which I won't spoil here!):

• Thanks 1

On 14/07/2024 at 18:43, moore_94 said:

About to start playing through the Gears of War games

I never played 4 or 5 but I loved the first 3

Thought I might as well replay through them and finally play the other 2 after the new one was announced!

Just finished the 5th game

Enjoyed going through the first 3 again, had forgotten quite a bit about what happens in them

I kind of like the stories in 4 and 5 and Judgement was alright, however I was quite disappointed they didn't let you carry on playing as Marcus in 4/5 and him barely featuring at all in the 5th game... bad choice imo

Also wasn't really a fan of the wave aspects in Gears 4

Has made me really look forward to E-Day when it releases though!

50 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I’ve been blasting control on te ps5. When I played it on ps4 it ran like dog muck but I loved it other than the jarring performance issues. 60fps on the ps5 and doesn’t seem to drop (at least I don’t notice it) so playing the game how it’s meant to be played is thoroughly rewarding, it’s a great game.

Ashtray Maze bit was a classic gaming moment.

• Like 2

Just started Disco Elysium: The Final Cut which I've wanted to play ever since IGN gave it a flat 10.0 "masterpiece" review. 

Part detective noir point-and-click adventure, part tabletop RPG, part middle-aged alcohol & drug-induced breakdown simulator.

Lots of lore, lots of words, and lots of conversations. I find myself thinking about going back to it a fair bit. 

It definitely won't be for everyone, especially multiplayer junkies with addled minds and the attention span of a gnat, but I'm enjoing it. 

On 26/08/2024 at 20:56, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I’ve been blasting control on te ps5. When I played it on ps4 it ran like dog muck but I loved it other than the jarring performance issues. 60fps on the ps5 and doesn’t seem to drop (at least I don’t notice it) so playing the game how it’s meant to be played is thoroughly rewarding, it’s a great game.

Control is incredible. Some of the most satisfying gunplay + superpower gameplay ever. 

Also just a great game world, weirdly unsettling and eerie, and full of batshit crazy concepts in only the way Remedy / Sam Lake games can be. 

One of my favourites from the past few years for sure.

• Like 2

Back on Read Dead 2. have never completed it because i get sidetracked doing hunting and stuff then get bored. I want this time to be the time it gets done. but we'll see. game still looks spectacular

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Beliall said:

Back on Read Dead 2. have never completed it because i get sidetracked doing hunting and stuff then get bored. I want this time to be the time it gets done. but we'll see. game still looks spectacular

The story is really good all the way through. So i would recommend at least finishing the main story

6 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

The story is really good all the way through. So i would recommend at least finishing the main story

thats the plan but i do so enjoy just existing in the environment. and every time i do try and head to a quest i get side tracked by an encounter or something, then go off hunting for the camps dinner. seems like the story is the least important bit of the game to play lol 

23 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Control is incredible. Some of the most satisfying gunplay + superpower gameplay ever. 

Also just a great game world, weirdly unsettling and eerie, and full of batshit crazy concepts in only the way Remedy / Sam Lake games can be. 

One of my favourites from the past few years for sure.

Honestly one of the most up it's own arse games I've ever played. 

Sam Lake is probably the most pretentious narcissist in the industry and that's saying a lot. 

Genuinely think Control is massively over rated. I got bored after maybe 10 hours tops? 

It's stale, sterile environments with no personality and forced weirdness. I'm pretty sure Sam Lake just played Prey and went "hold my beer." Can't be a coincidence it went in to development shortly after Prey released. 

(Prey is also boring af.)

Edited by Finnegan

11 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Honestly one of the most up it's own arse games I've ever played. 

Sam Lake is probably the most pretentious narcissist in the industry and that's saying a lot. 

Genuinely think Control is massively over rated. I got bored after maybe 10 hours tops? 

It's stale, sterile environments with no personality and forced weirdness. I'm pretty sure Sam Lake just played Prey and went "hold my beer." Can't be a coincidence it went in to development shortly after Prey released. 

(Prey is also boring af.)

I get why people might think that about Control. Same with Kojima.

But the take on Prey is definitely absolutely wrong.

As a lover of immersive sims - which aren't easy to come by these days - I loved it. 

21 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

I get why people might think that about Control. Same with Kojima.

But the take on Prey is definitely absolutely wrong.

As a lover of immersive sims - which aren't easy to come by these days - I loved it. 

But I thin immersive only takes you so far. 

For me, this is why open world games are both attractive but I also almost never finish them. 

Like @Beliall, I love just being in a world sometimes. Like everyone else, my Skyrim is heavily modded to hell and back and it's all weather effects, graphics, filters, sounds, just to make the world look and feel better. Like everyone else, I've owned Skyrim for a billion years and have a trillion hours in it and I've still never actually completed it. I just play it every now and then to wander around and be in it.

I've never finished Red Dead, I've never finished Ghosts of Tsushima, I've never finished a Far Cry or Ghost Recon. 

But they're all great to log in to occasionally and just be.

I did love wandering around the station in Prey, I loved the mood and the atmosphere of it, it was really well done. But the actual gameplay is so dry and stale, there's very little personality anywhere. 

It's like playing Myst with guns. 

Compare it to something like Bioshock, which it's clearly a little bit inspired by, which had me gripped solidly from start to finish and it just isn't in the same league. 

For me, Control was trying to do a lot of the same things but was even more samey, had even less personality and even less gameplay and just wanted to prop itself up with its kookiness but meh. 

Edited by Finnegan