Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Missing Plane

Would have to been something either extremely fast or a situation where the crew didn't see fit to send a Mayday signal until too late (ala AF447 in 2009)

The question is how and why it happened to such a plane with an peerless safety record, pretty close to a coastline without time/reason to send a distress signal.

Edit: I would have thought a bomb attack would have resulted in a claim of responsibility by now.

Edited by leicsmac

Would have to been something either extremely fast or a situation where the crew didn't see fit to send a Mayday signal until too late (ala AF447 in 2009)

The question is how and why it happened to such a plane with an peerless safety record, pretty close to a coastline without time/reason to send a distress signal.

I don't imagine we'll find out for a few years, but I was amazed it was a 777. I don't know a lot about planes, but I knew that it's one of the safest on the market today.

Very sad news anyway.

The transponder?

Thought that was only for communications?

If turning off a transponder was all that was required for a plane to become invisible we'd not have stealth bombers etc?

Ahh yeah, good point! Dunno then.

I don't imagine we'll find out for a few years, but I was amazed it was a 777. I don't know a lot about planes, but I knew that it's one of the safest on the market today.

Very sad news anyway.

It is possible THE safest, which is why this is really, really odd.

If it was a mechanical failure/pilot error, why no Mayday?

If it was a terrorist act, why no sighting of wreckage over a wide area/sighting of explosion/claim of responsibility?

Horrible. Being terrified of flying I always tell myself "planes don't just fall out of the sky". And then one falls out of the sky. My absolute worst nightmare.

I'm with you on that. Flying scares me. 

But there are so many redundant systems on modern aircraft. Even if all engines fail and the aircraft loses power it is still possible to glide it, especially so close to a coast.

Could it be possible the whole plane lost power. It would explain the loss of communication at 35000 feet and the high speed crash into the sea.

There's a redundant system in place for incidents like that - the Ram Air Turbine. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_air_turbine

Draws power from the speed of the aircraft, powers redundant systems even if there is no other power available on the aircraft. Would last long enough to at least attempt an emergency landing at an airstrip within a reasonable distance.

This is all very tragic, and odd.