Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Missing Plane

What has WTC7 got to do with aeroplanes ?

Nothing. Bert posted something that he thought was too outrageous to be taken seriously and people weren't sure if he was actually being serious. I felt it was understandable given that there are 30-odd pages of crackpot theories in that thread (one of which, you could argue, is the official explanation).

Sounds like a classic diversionary tactic to me. If it was (successfully) hi-jacked, why no demands, claim of responsibility or message?

Maybe things are going on that can't be reported. It'll all come out eventually.

Definitely.

This saga is gripping.

As the two aircraft past the radar and are detected from different angles, the target on the radar display would get larger, and possibly even show as two targets for a short space of time. Unless of course that the missing plane manouvered itself around the 'shield' plane, knowing exactly where each radar is located. This theory could well be the truth, although it is unlikely. At the time though, I doubt the ATC's would take much notice of the size of a target on the radar display.

Military radar are designed to pick up stealth aircraft, which have minimal surface area for returns to 'bounce' off of and show up on the radar. I'd like to think any military checking their radar data would look for anomalies in size, shape and speed of the aircraft it checked to be the missing plane. Or maybe the fact it showed up as a genuine aircraft, means these properties were merely overlooked.

Edited by Leeds Fox

Either way in this day and age I find it astonishing that something as significant as a transponder can be turned off mid flight.

Aircraft's are always grounded immediately once a defect is found in a particular model. Each time this has happened you expect them to have found any really obvious faults or possible faults. It seems like being able to turn off a transponder is one of the biggest most obvious oversights yet

Either way in this day and age I find it astonishing that something as significant as a transponder can be turned off mid flight.

Aircraft's are always grounded immediately once a defect is found in a particular model. Each time this has happened you expect them to have found any really obvious faults or possible faults. It seems like being able to turn off a transponder is one of the biggest most obvious oversights yet

You can turn off the transponder in case it interferes with other systems on the aircraft. It's not an easy thing to turn off though.