Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Missing Plane

It should still show up on primary radar though depending on terrainhttp://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transponder

I'm not sure where on that page it says the relevant bit and I can't be arsed to read it all, but is it basically saying even if all power is lost, that transponder will still be picked up by the radar?

In that case I haven't got a clue what's happened.

Could it be possible the whole plane lost power. It would explain the loss of communication at 35000 feet and the high speed crash into the sea.

Aircraft get electrical power from the engines, theirs also the APU at the back plus numourous batteries. Can't believe all them would have failed. Most commercial aircraft have a Ram Air Turbine (basically a propeller that comes out the side) in the case of total power loss. 

I'm not sure where on that page it says the relevant bit and I can't be arsed to read it all, but is it basically saying even if all power is lost, that transponder will still be picked up by the radar?

In that case I haven't got a clue what's happened.

Passive radar would still pick up the aircraft whether or not it was emitting any signals anyway. It's not like it's a stealth aircraft. 

Aircraft get electrical power from the engines, theirs also the APU at the back plus numourous batteries. Can't believe all them would have failed. Most commercial aircraft have a Ram Air Turbine (basically a propeller that comes out the side) in the case of total power loss. 

Yup, this. 

Air France 447 went down in 2009 without sending a Mayday call either, and that was eventually put down to failure of the pitot tubes on the fuselage that measure airspeeds, which lead the pilots to read the airspeed incorrectly and put the plane into a deep stall. They didn't trust any of the instrumentation and didn't even know they were descending until it was too late. Equipment and pilot error in a high-stress situation there.

But the 777 shouldn't be susceptible to the same equipment failure that triggered the pilot errors that led to that and this plane was far far closer to the coast and population centres...so I've no idea what happened here.

Edited by leicsmac

I'm with you on that. Flying scares me. 

But there are so many redundant systems on modern aircraft. Even if all engines fail and the aircraft loses power it is still possible to glide it, especially so close to a coast.

Yeah I know all that. I read up on these things to try and calm myself. But travelling at 500mph in a metal tube 35,000 feet in the air... no thanks. Interestingly, 90% of the people I've met who are scared of flying are men. Maybe it's a control thing.

The transponder?

Thought that was only for communications?

If turning off a transponder was all that was required for a plane to become invisible we'd not have stealth bombers etc?

The transponder emits a number determined by ATC. If under their control, which all planes over 18.000ft are, have to identify themselves. The pilots are given a squawk number before take-off to set on the transponder. It will then show up on the ATC screen. Aircraft not under ATC control will squawk 1200.

It also emits information about the altitude so they should know if it disappeared off their screen in mid air or at sea level.

Edited by Smudge

no idea ,

i'm going to believe whatever i'm told from now on , it makes life much easier . 

Repeat after me... "I believe AoWW is such a lovely, amazing person I owe her £10k"

:devil::whistle: 

• Like 2

Repeat after me... "I believe AoWW is such a lovely, amazing person I owe her £10k"

:devil::whistle:

OK  , will do , but all  I said is that i was going to believe things from now on , I never said I was go to start  repaying debts .

Scratch that, stay as you are Zingy makes this place much more fun...I mean that in a unpatronising way.

We all have a differing view of reality Ronnie  :thumbup: thanks 

Maybe our personal lives and experiences shape the way we see and perceive the world.

I  can't really explain why i'm so suspicious of world affairs being not as they seem to be portrayed in the msm. at least for the main part we can still express our doubts and say what we think 

as you say , hopefully it can be amusing at least , although i don't want to take away the seriousness of the subject matter. 

Edited by Zingari
  • Like 1

We all have a differing view of reality Ronnie  :thumbup: thanks 

Maybe our personal lives and experiences shape the way we see and perceive the world.

I  can't really explain why i'm so suspicious of world affairs being not as they seem to be portrayed in the msm. at least for the main part we can still express our doubts and say what we think 

as you say , hopefully it can be amusing at least , although i don't want to take away the seriousness of the subject matter. 

:thumbup:

Firstly, why would a a Malaysian or Chinese terrorist want to blow up a plane? Is there some unknown conflict taking place outside of the media?

If it's a terrorist outside of these two countries, then what benefit is it blowing up this plane, primarily three quarters full of Chinese people?

I'd say it's not too uncommon for a tiny number of people to travel around Asia on stolen/forged passports looking for work. I'd say it's nothing more than that. Sky and particular media will have their fingers crossed of course.

Firstly, why would a a Malaysian or Chinese terrorist want to blow up a plane? Is there some unknown conflict taking place outside of the media?

If it's a terrorist outside of these two countries, then what benefit is it blowing up this plane, primarily three quarters full of Chinese people?

I'd say it's not too uncommon for a tiny number of people to travel around Asia on stolen/forged passports looking for work. I'd say it's nothing more than that. Sky and particular media will have their fingers crossed of course.

There are separatist groups in China so it's possible but I agree about the passports, doesn't necessarily prove anything. Who knows?