Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
broughtonblue

Malware bytes

Just got a virus on my PC, apparently it's a 'windows command processor virus' typed it into google and malware experts. Com came up as the best removal programme.

The virus is apparently a password virus, my questions are....

Have any of you used malware experts?

is it a reputable site?

Have any of you had a similar virus and how did you get rid of it?

I use Microsoft essentials, which quarantined it, but then I downloaded AVG which said it was still there!!!

Any help great fully appreciated by a 50 year old non techno expert

MalwareBytes and Spybot are the two best "legit" anti-virus programs I know of. They pick up different things in my experience, so running both one after another leaves your PC cleansed pretty well. If you're going to download them, make sure it's through their actual websites though - both are also found on some pretty dodgy download sites that will probably chuck some hidden files in with the program.

I'd stay away from AVG - it's a massive memory hog. I've attempted to use it many times but it does more damage to my computer's CPU performance than the viruses it's supposed to prevent. And Norton is even worse.

As for Microsoft Essentials (Windows Defender), it does the sqaure root of shit-all to combat all but a tiny list of viruses. I wouldn't even bother with it, especially since a suprising number of trojans use false notifications which mimic it's behaviour and warning windows - not helped by the fact that the legit program shows up so rarely that it's easy to mistake them through sheer unfarmiliarity. You'd be better straight-up disabling the program so that you can identify any dodgy programs straight away, since "legit" pop-up windows would disappear, and they do sod-all to actually protect your computer any more than Spybot & MalwareBytes would anyway.

Um not sure tbh. If it was me on my computer id try to find it and remove it usimg " remove programmes" in the control panel. However if I couldnt find it I would use that sites advice next. When it asks you to download their programme, be careful no boxes for free toolbars etc are ticked or even there. Many malware removal programmes come with malware / adware.

Just a pre-warning before you start going crazy on the anti-virus downloading. 

DO NOT download and have running more than one on your PC at a time. I did a little while ago and it's chaos for your computer. It'll constantly not respond due to the conflicting nature of the antivirus softwares. 

As for MalwareBytes it's a brilliant piece of kit and I did have it, it was always removing and warning me to potential threats nice and early before they got to affect my PC. I never had a problem with it removing threats too, some antivirus programs will struggle with some viruses but MB never had for me. 

Not sure about AVG being a 'memory hog' either as I currently have the full version and it takes up little RAM on my PC. 

I'd get either one if I was you, both have free versions so you could start with one of those. :thumbup:

Just a pre-warning before you start going crazy on the anti-virus downloading. 

DO NOT download and have running more than one on your PC at a time. I did a little while ago and it's chaos for your computer. It'll constantly not respond due to the conflicting nature of the antivirus softwares. 

As for MalwareBytes it's a brilliant piece of kit and I did have it, it was always removing and warning me to potential threats nice and early before they got to affect my PC. I never had a problem with it removing threats too, some antivirus programs will struggle with some viruses but MB never had for me. 

Not sure about AVG being a 'memory hog' either as I currently have the full version and it takes up little RAM on my PC. 

I'd get either one if I was you, both have free versions so you could start with one of those. :thumbup:

I'm sorry but I have and have had running in tandum Avast! and SpybotS&D for years.

It's never caused conflict and I've never had a virus. 

I'm sorry but I have and have had running in tandum Avast! and SpybotS&D for years.

Really? Surprises me that does but fair enough. When my PC was constantly not responding I looked to see if I had potentially conflicting software, I had AVG and MalwareBytes and as soon as I removed MalwareBytes and rebooted my PC it worked like a dream.

MalwareBytes and Spybot are the two best "legit" anti-virus programs I know of. They pick up different things in my experience, so running both one after another leaves your PC cleansed pretty well. If you're going to download them, make sure it's through their actual websites though - both are also found on some pretty dodgy download sites that will probably chuck some hidden files in with the program.

I'd stay away from AVG - it's a massive memory hog. I've attempted to use it many times but it does more damage to my computer's CPU performance than the viruses it's supposed to prevent. And Norton is even worse.

As for Microsoft Essentials (Windows Defender), it does the sqaure root of shit-all to combat all but a tiny list of viruses. I wouldn't even bother with it, especially since a suprising number of trojans use false notifications which mimic it's behaviour and warning windows - not helped by the fact that the legit program shows up so rarely that it's easy to mistake them through sheer unfarmiliarity. You'd be better straight-up disabling the program so that you can identify any dodgy programs straight away, since "legit" pop-up windows would disappear, and they do sod-all to actually protect your computer any more than Spybot & MalwareBytes would anyway.

Malware Bytes is a fine tool, works and free.

Spybot is also very good

AVG is my choice of free AntiVirus and does the job for me (i have been known to visit a number of dodgy sites (p2p etc) and havent had a siginficant issue for years now.

I also run all three at the same time

Um not sure tbh. If it was me on my computer id try to find it and remove it usimg " remove programmes" in the control panel. However if I couldnt find it I would use that sites advice next. When it asks you to download their programme, be careful no boxes for free toolbars etc are ticked or even there. Many malware removal programmes come with malware / adware.

A lot of malware that just activates a whole load of worse things to your computer lol

SpybotS&D is not an antivirus. It's an anti malware software, which is supposed to work in tandem alongside an antivirus (Avast). Same as you can (and should) use MalwareBytes alongside an anti virus.

• 1 year later...

Have had a whole host of probs with my laptop over the past 24 hours. So much so I had to restore it but it seems a lot of crap survived. Avast obviously didn't pick up on something fairly major.

Seems most of the problems stemmed from a protect windows toolbar thing. :dunno: Have installed and run malwareBytes which picked up and sorted over 200 potential threats on my newly-reformatted machine (and I'd only reinstalled Avast and Chrome on it!). Appears to now be ok :fc: but is there anything else I should do to clean it further or check new status? 

Have had a whole host of probs with my laptop over the past 24 hours. So much so I had to restore it but it seems a lot of crap survived. Avast obviously didn't pick up on something fairly major.

Seems most of the problems stemmed from a protect windows toolbar thing. :dunno: Have installed and run malwareBytes which picked up and sorted over 200 potential threats on my newly-reformatted machine (and I'd only reinstalled Avast and Chrome on it!). Appears to now be ok :fc: but is there anything else I should do to clean it further or check new status?

To remove root kits you should use ComboFix - you always need to download a fresh copy otherwise it says that you have an out of date copy and it won't work. It takes a while to run and you should only use it as a final measure when your machine is just so slow and almost non functional (main symptom of a root kit)

CCleaner is also a good tool to run before MalwareBytes as it removes all temp files so the scan takes much quicker to complete as it is not scanning crap.

To remove root kits you should use ComboFix - you always need to download a fresh copy otherwise it says that you have an out of date copy and it won't work. It takes a while to run and you should only use it as a final measure when your machine is just so slow and almost non functional (main symptom of a root kit)

CCleaner is also a good tool to run before MalwareBytes as it removes all temp files so the scan takes much quicker to complete as it is not scanning crap.

Thanks for the advice. :cool: 

Archived