Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingcarr21

PS4 VR Headset

Sony unveils virtual reality headset for PlayStation 4

_73669065_tv021585447.jpgSony has been working on the headset, called Project Morpheus, for over three years

Sony has unveiled a prototype for a virtual reality headset for its PlayStation 4 console at a developers conference in San Francisco.

Shuhei Yoshida, president of Sony's Worldwide Studios, said Sony had been working on the technology - called Project Morpheus - for three years.

"We believe VR will shape the future of games," said Mr Yoshida in a blog post.

The prototype will be made available to developers, but no commercial release date was given.

Project Morpheus is a head-mounted display with 1080p resolution and a 90 degree field of view.

It has sensors built into the unit that can track head orientation and movement, so that when a user's head moves, the image of the virtual reality world moves with it.

Sony's move into virtual reality follows a product released by crowd-sourced group Oculus Rift.

It unveiled its prototype headset Crystal Cove at this year's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas

_73693369_73693356.jpg

Media playback is unsupported on your device

The BBC's Richard Taylor was one of the first to out a prototype of "Project Morpheus"

Sony virtual reality prototype Project Morpheus on show

20 March 2014 Last updated at 02:35 GMT

After decades of false starts, virtual reality (VR) is again being positioned as a fully immersive consumer experience.

Until now attention has focused on the Oculus Rift, a PC-compatible headset.

But at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, Sony has just announced its own VR headset, which will work with the Playstation 4.

The BBC's North America Technology correspondent Richard Taylor was one of the first to try out a prototype of "Project Morpheus", the codename for the new hardware.

• 4 weeks later...

Tried the Oculus Rift at the Gadget Show Live yesterday. Got to say it is impressive BUT you really do get motion sickness, I thought I was going to spew after only a minute or so, hope they iron it out but I can't see them doing it any time soon. Hope Sony have their one sorted for launch!

Interesting. given how tech has advanced in the last decade it's easy to see how this could catch on. But if history is anything to go by this and the Facebook Rift will be a gimmick that people who like will say is the best thing since sliced bread and the people who don't will say it's a joke. Nintendo need to bring out a Virtual Boy 2.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Just seen on facebook its announced for release in October this year at £350. Wonder if it will be revolutionary or just another fad. I think it looks great but would people want to play for hours with a helmet on?

I was tempted to pre order this but me going New York in November I would rather use the £350 for spending money.

Anybody else planning on buying this?

EDIT just clicked on the link and you also have to have a Playstation camera to use it. Not sure how much they are but probably looking at over £400 in total

Archived