Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark 'expert' Lawrenson

Windows XP Support Ends

Having received the email from Microsoft regarding the end of Windows XP support this coming April, I was wondering will this affect many people on here? No more software updates etc will have a serious effect on the security of my PC so I am told.

Looks like a new PC will be required.

Anyone else in the same boat?

I have win 7. But severel people I know have 8 on theirs. They often come to me with their pc problems and I hate trying to fix things on win8. No start button for starters. And the totally frustrating screen switching its so wierd. Plus microsoft darent even use it to demo xone games at last years e3

Windows 7 whilst a hell of a lot newer does play quite nicely with older hardware so you might be surprised.  What sort of specs do you have?

To be honest I am a computer novice, I switch it on and it works, but I do worry about security. My PC is embarrassingly about 8 years old, as for spec I am not sure, I know I put in the maximum memory, which I cannot now remember the size of!

You could always install a version of Linux on an old PC, a free operating system. Does pretty much everything Windows does, regularly updated, free to download. You will need a certain level of pc knowhow to install and get it configured but its not that difficult. I run Linux Mint on my laptop, having replaced Windows 7 http://www.linuxmint.com/

I have win 7. But severel people I know have 8 on theirs. They often come to me with their pc problems and I hate trying to fix things on win8. No start button for starters. And the totally frustrating screen switching its so wierd. Plus microsoft darent even use it to demo xone games at last years e3

I looked at a lot of reviews of Win 8, a lot of complaints.

You could always install a version of Linux on an old PC, a free operating system. Does pretty much everything Windows does, regularly updated, free to download. You will need a certain level of pc knowhow to install and get it configured but its not that difficult. I run Linux Mint on my laptop, having replaced Windows 7 http://www.linuxmint.com/

All good till I read PC knowhow! I do most of what I used to do on my PC on my IPad mini now, but still need ithe PC occasionally for the family to use, printing stuff off for school etc

Cheers, 7 or Linux seem to be the general favourites and looks best to avoid 8.

With Linux you download a DVD image (basically the data that you get on a CD or DVD you buy from the shops) then burn it onto a blank DVD. You then install it like you would a Windows disc. It asks a few questions like name and location during setup. Once installed it has a full Office suite, media player and Firefox brower ready to go. Biggest problem with Linux is getting hardware drivers working (particularly Wireless adapters). Saying that I installed Linux Mint on my Samsung laptop and everything worked first time. It uses half the resources that Windows 7 does. If your not confident in installing an operating system then I probably would say look into buying a new pc / tablet

Linux is good, but if your not comfortable really in the XP environment then Linux is quite difficult to get the hang of to start off with. 

Even with your PC as you say being 8 years old, it more than likely meets the requirements for Windows 7.  Windows 7 itself you have to understand is well over 4 years old these days. As long as you have at least 1GB of memory and at least a 1Ghz CPU, you will be fine.

With Linux you download a DVD image (basically the data that you get on a CD or DVD you buy from the shops) then burn it onto a blank DVD. You then install it like you would a Windows disc. It asks a few questions like name and location during setup. Once installed it has a full Office suite, media player and Firefox brower ready to go. Biggest problem with Linux is getting hardware drivers working (particularly Wireless adapters). Saying that I installed Linux Mint on my Samsung laptop and everything worked first time. It uses half the resources that Windows 7 does. If your not confident in installing an operating system then I probably would say look into buying a new pc / tablet

thanks you. i have no idea why i didnt think of this. my friends laptop got wiped by his dad and he has no windows disc for it. ill install linux for him. 

Not confident at all tbh, probably will end up buying a new PC, have you any experience of Zoostorm ?

Not confident at all tbh, probably will end up buying a new PC, have you any experience of Zoostorm ?

Never heard of them, I've always bought pc's or laptops from Amazon, Dell or Argos to be honest. Avoid Dell though, gone downhill over the last few years

Linux is good, but if your not comfortable really in the XP environment then Linux is quite difficult to get the hang of to start off with. 

Even with your PC as you say being 8 years old, it more than likely meets the requirements for Windows 7.  Windows 7 itself you have to understand is well over 4 years old these days. As long as you have at least 1GB of memory and at least a 1Ghz CPU, you will be fine.

Thanks, I reckon I will end up eventually buying a new PC with windows 7. My current PC is so slow, though I think Norton is responsible or partly for the slowness. And my lack of memory.

Thanks, I reckon I will end up eventually buying a new PC with windows 7. My current PC is so slow, though I think Norton is responsible or partly for the slowness. And my lack of memory.

Fair enough.  But what you can also take into consideration is that your PC is probably slow now with XP because they get bogged down over the years if they haven't had a format and reinstall every so often.  They can be put back quite easily to the state they were when you bought it, which would then make it as fast as it was before.

Also, if your looking for a new machine, Ebuyer is always a good place to start.  I've consistently found them to be one of the cheapest places to go.

http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Computer/cat/Desktop-PC?limit=30&page=1

Zoostorm is a good brand. Reliable, generic and good for an average user. "just works" comes to mind

Fair enough. But what you can also take into consideration is that your PC is probably slow now with XP because they get bogged down over the years if they haven't had a format and reinstall every so often. They can be put back quite easily to the state they were when you bought it, which would then make it as fast as it was before.

Also, if your looking for a new machine, Ebuyer is always a good place to start. I've consistently found them to be one of the cheapest places to go.

http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Computer/cat/Desktop-PC?limit=30&page=1

Thanks for all the advice, my PC has never had a reinstall. I will have a look on ebuyer for a new PC.

Zoostorm is a good brand. Reliable, generic and good for an average user. "just works" comes to mind

Thanks, that confirms what most of the reviewers put on amazon, I don't use my PC for playing games, and I would definitely fall into the average user category.

Use a free anti-virus like Avast. Not as bloated as McAfee or Norton so wont slow your system down. Will do the same job and is updated regularly

http://www.avast.com/en-gb/index

Archived