Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LanguedocFox

Cold-call scam from "Microsoft"

I'm in France, but I have a UK phone number that switches to my French phone. I've been called three times now on that UK number from an Indian call centre (different people each time) saying they are from Microsoft and saying that false messages have been sent from my computer and are generating spam. They offer to fix this problem, but they will need access to my computer, plus a credit-card payment of 29€.

I know we're all far too bright to fall for this kind of thing, but you may know someone who might fall for it. Just in case, it's worth reading this article on the Microsoft website: http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx. The statement that "Neither Microsoft nor our partners make unsolicited phone calls (also known as cold calls) to charge you for computer security or software fixes." is pretty unequivocal.

I got a call similar to this saying they were from BT. I'm on Virgin, which doesn't use BTs lines like all the other ISPs, which I told them, but they still tried it on - needless to say I hung up.

Get one of these every month or so.. i now just act surprised and horrified and ask them to wait while i get my computer.. put the phone down next to the TV.. and leave it there

lol

Archived