Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Manwell Pablo

Wii-U

I can see where you're coming from. Ive had Battlefield on PS4 and had a go on Titanfall. Both good games. But i can happily admit i had much more enjoyment playing Lego City Undercover on the Wii U. Brilliant game

....But you can play Battlefield 4 on about 4 different consoles or a PC, and let's face it most people have got a PS3 or a 360 in the house, unless they've been foolish enough to get rid of their old consoles if so more fool them. Despite all the bleeting on about 1080p 60fps blahdy blah the best version of the game is on the PC not the PS4. And if you're clever you could put together a good PC for the price of a PS4 and all the money you'll save not paying £50 a title. 

Titanfall is perhaps a reason to go and buy a Xbone if your really into your arena shooters, which I'm not, but again, best version of the game is on the PC and apparently they've done quite a good job on the 360 port.

The sales figures are another discussion altogether and completely besides the point, the point I am making is it's got more quality than both the next gen competitors put together, and that's embarrassing. 

The consoles been out 12 months longer than either of these new ones, so comparing libraries is a bit wide of the mark imo. Compare the libraries of the X1/PS4 now to when the Wii U had been out the same amount of time, or compare The Wii U's library now to the X1/PS4 library of 12 months from now (however much longer the  Wii U has been out, not sure). You could of done the same thing with the 360/ps3 on a similar timescale, but it's a very biased way of looking at things, because in 12 months time the likelyhood is that the PS4 and X1 will have far superior libraries to the Wii U.

I'm a big Vita fan, so I hear your argument about sales not being the be all and end all, but I think it's tougher for the home console market, the attachment rate is never as high and the lack of third party support is much more damaging to the image/brand.

IMO the smart money is still in your pocket with regards to home consoles, by this time next year you'll have Watch Dogs, Far Cry 4, Wolfenstein, Destiny, The Witness, The Witcher 3, Sunset Overdrive, Halo 5, Uncharted 4, Battlefront 3, The Crew, Alien Isolation, The Order, Final Fantasy XV, Quantam Break, Planetside 2, Batman Arkham Night, Dying Light, Mega Man, another cycle of the yearly brigade, Fifa, Cod, Titanfall, NBA, NFL, Battlefield, Assassins Creed etc. Sure I've forgotten a lot of games which are pretty well hyped, bound to be a few that go under the radar and turn out to be great, E3 is just around the corner and you'd imagine plenty of games coming to these systems will be announced and released in the next 12 months.

Compare that to the Wii U, Super Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2, Mega Man, Mario Kart, Watch Dogs... And beyond that I'm struggling to see a game that could make people want to pick up a system. Again, sure they'll have a few games announced at E3 and a few sleeper hits, but the lack of third party support and non existent marketing is clearly a massive problem.

Now i will always love Mario since i grew up playing Mario games but Nintendo really need to step up with more original games that play to the adult and todays kids audience. The generation i grew up in are now obviously older and nintendo haven't kept up with the times. Kids nowadays i find have a priority in games which is Graphics. If a game doesnt look graphically brilliant they turn away without giving the game a chance. Constantly rolling out new Mario games whilst they are great games, when put next to the likes of 'the last of us' and 'titanfall' are always going to come out in last place.

steve.png Says Hi!

I find it weird that Manwell is talking so much sense in this thread! :)

The consoles been out 12 months longer than either of these new ones, so comparing libraries is a bit wide of the mark imo. Compare the libraries of the X1/PS4 now to when the Wii U had been out the same amount of time, or compare The Wii U's library now to the X1/PS4 library of 12 months from now (however much longer the  Wii U has been out, not sure). You could of done the same thing with the 360/ps3 on a similar timescale, but it's a very biased way of looking at things, because in 12 months time the likelyhood is that the PS4 and X1 will have far superior libraries to the Wii U.

I'm a big Vita fan, so I hear your argument about sales not being the be all and end all, but I think it's tougher for the home console market, the attachment rate is never as high and the lack of third party support is much more damaging to the image/brand.

IMO the smart money is still in your pocket with regards to home consoles, by this time next year you'll have Watch Dogs, Far Cry 4, Wolfenstein, Destiny, The Witness, The Witcher 3, Sunset Overdrive, Halo 5, Uncharted 4, Battlefront 3, The Crew, Alien Isolation, The Order, Final Fantasy XV, Quantam Break, Planetside 2, Batman Arkham Night, Dying Light, Mega Man, another cycle of the yearly brigade, Fifa, Cod, Titanfall, NBA, NFL, Battlefield, Assassins Creed etc. Sure I've forgotten a lot of games which are pretty well hyped, bound to be a few that go under the radar and turn out to be great, E3 is just around the corner and you'd imagine plenty of games coming to these systems will be announced and released in the next 12 months.

Compare that to the Wii U, Super Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2, Mega Man, Mario Kart, Watch Dogs... And beyond that I'm struggling to see a game that could make people want to pick up a system. Again, sure they'll have a few games announced at E3 and a few sleeper hits, but the lack of third party support and non existent marketing is clearly a massive problem.

Well you've missed the point I'm making entirely and wasted a lot of time in the process by the looks of it.

Any case I make towards owning a Wii U is based on now and not what might happen in the distant future. People are going out and spending 400 odd quid on consoles without any titles when a Wii U is cheaper and has 4 or 5 top games and is significantly cheaper. 

Obviously I'd expect both of the other consoles to overtake it, eventually, but the fact that both are still 4-5 outstanding titles behind it is embarrassing and by the time they've caught up I'd expect some sort of price drop on both. And the way things are going if Valve make the Steam Box a viable Platform I can honestly see myself not bothering with either Sony or Microsoft's offering which is not something I ever expected to happen.

Also of the titles you've mentioned, I reckon 75% of them will either be awful, out on 360 pr PS3, or will fail to be out this time next year. Not that it matters. As for being bias, I'm sure a few people will confirm if I was to be bias towards one console the Wii U would be the last one, please read the opening posts of this thread for proof.

Hey Manwell. You might want to backtrack on your latest comments once you've seen the leaked Watchdogs gameplay?

Tell me it isn't impressive if you dare.

lol

Aaaand it's coming to the Wii U! :)

Well you've missed the point I'm making entirely and wasted a lot of time in the process by the looks of it.

Any case I make towards owning a Wii U is based on now and not what might happen in the distant future. People are going out and spending 400 odd quid on consoles without any titles when a Wii U is cheaper and has 4 or 5 top games and is significantly cheaper. 

Obviously I'd expect both of the other consoles to overtake it, eventually, but the fact that both are still 4-5 outstanding titles behind it is embarrassing and by the time they've caught up I'd expect some sort of price drop on both. And the way things are going if Valve make the Steam Box a viable Platform I can honestly see myself not bothering with either Sony or Microsoft's offering which is not something I ever expected to happen.

Also of the titles you've mentioned, I reckon 75% of them will either be awful, out on 360 pr PS3, or will fail to be out this time next year. Not that it matters. As for being bias, I'm sure a few people will confirm if I was to be bias towards one console the Wii U would be the last one, please read the opening posts of this thread for proof.

It's still £250, and I'm afraid people don't buy consoles for any amount of money looking at what there is now so early on in to a new cycle. If that was the case The One and PS4 would of sold very poorly so far. I've not brought one for the points you make, but people who do buy them early are aware they're making a purchase on the basis of the content they expect to come over the next 7-8 years, If I had £300 laying about I'd buy a PS4 because I know that it will have huge first and third party support for the duration of its lifespan, and third party is really where the majority of games come from on all platforms, so without that support promised to the consumer it will show in sales, something that is happening to the Wii U and Vita.

think Nintendo kinda know that their 1st party stuff is kinda keeping the console alive...thats one of the reason their churning out more of the 1st party stuff. games companies now are taking their time over games as if you release a right turd it can really put your company back...and at worse..go broke. 

in terms of sales....the PS4 & Xbox 1 have already overtook the  Wii U...exclusive games wise.....no; but I can kind of understand that, given the vast amounts of games that come out, most want to have the best game out they can & within a window were they can get max exposure and monies.

i can understand why ppl still want a Wii U, as their 1st party stuff is very good....but is it worth the money for these 1st party stuff alone....

Certainly will be interesting to see what nintendo bring around E3....(Handheld market you cant fault them....they know their stuff in that field)

Hey Manwell. You might want to backtrack on your latest comments once you've seen the leaked Watchdogs gameplay?

Tell me it isn't impressive if you dare.

lol

Aaaand it's coming to the Wii U! :)

And there you go.

There aren't no good games for next gen consoles, but the fact that Blackflag was considered the best game on both The One and PS4 last year, and to be honest probably still is, shows your problem. 

Obviously you'd hope that would change sooner rather than later but the fact that it hasn't yet is embarrassing. The 360 launch lineup was a joke but at least it had a couple of games that made you want the system.

It's still £250, and I'm afraid people don't buy consoles for any amount of money looking at what there is now so early on in to a new cycle. If that was the case The One and PS4 would of sold very poorly so far. I've not brought one for the points you make, but people who do buy them early are aware they're making a purchase on the basis of the content they expect to come over the next 7-8 years, If I had £300 laying about I'd buy a PS4 because I know that it will have huge first and third party support for the duration of its lifespan, and third party is really where the majority of games come from on all platforms, so without that support promised to the consumer it will show in sales, something that is happening to the Wii U and Vita.

So it's significantly cheaper then.

I count the number of third party games out on PS4/One that haven't also been released on 360 or PS3 on one hand, ironically there are probably more that have been released on 360/PS3 but not the next gen consoles, and the quality is definitely better. 

I know this is how people work I just don't understand why, and to be honest it's a little annoying as all these goffers that have gone and bought these consoles are making it worse for the rest of us because it's sending the message to both Sony and Microsoft that it's ok to not put any decent games out and charge us the earth as we'll buy your console anyway. This is the point I'm making, I wouldn't spend £500 on a brand new TV if half I was only allowed to watch shit channels for the first year. Especially if there was a chance said TV would be cheaper in a years time when all of it's channels were available. Makes zero sense. 

£80 cheaper than a PS4, and if you're looking at value for money, with the upcoming releases and from a pure power/hardware perspective it's hard to argue it isn't worth at least £80 more.

As for Black Flag being widely considered the best game on both consoles, is it, really? It's way down the list on Metacritic (while subjective, gives an indication that it is, in fact, not considered the best game at all) and I certainly don't know anybody that considers it the best game. It is, in fact, rated much higher on the Wii U than on either the PS4 or Xbox One. Yes the Wii U has more stand out titles at present, and though you may think it isn't a big factor, in reality it is; that these newer consoles have both only been out for 6 months, any new piece of hardware will struggle in terms of quantity for the first year or so, it's happened in every console cycle to date and will probably continue as long as home consoles are developed and distributed in the manner that they are.

I agree that the numbers shifted at present is baffling, I haven't brought one yet and the fact updates are coming for them adding things that should of been there from the off monthly is, to me, astonishing and terrible in equal measure. But the fact is that if you are a gamer who had a PS1/PS2/PS3 and enjoyed owning them, you'd of been wanting a PS4 right away, same goes for Xbox/Xbox 360, you'd want a One as soon as you could, also younger gamers are seeing PS4/Xbox One everywhere they look, on billboards, on television, at sporting events, online and as soon as a few friends get one and are telling you how amazing it is (true or not) you want one as well.

Nintendo obviously need to change their strategy to the home console market, under-powered hardware and the same 3-4 mascots just aren't a viable proposition in the modern market anymore, their next console needs to be aimed at a broader audience. I think that Nintendo moving out of the home console market altogether and making games for other platforms would be a beneficial long term strategy(I think what happened to Sega still effects how people think about this, but Nintendo have a much, much stronger hand and times are different now), but that's another debate altogether.

You can't argue on game exclusives alone Manwell.

It's taken 5 years to bring Watchdogs so, bearing this in mind, 5 years ago devs won't have been party to current gen spec's and games won't be fully optimised for the systems.

Any exclusive will have to be years in the making.

It shouldn't be about exclusives anyway, it's the system that runs the software in the best way possible, and right now that's through PS4. Xbone is struggling to keep up, wii u nowhere.

Wii U on the other hand is some cheap hardware that takes Nintendo far less time to produce games for. You can't compare the systems in this way.

Anyhow, 3rd party devs are staying well clear, although hats off to ubisoft, at least you're getting Watchdogs, in some form at least, but not until around Xmas time.

Wii U on the other hand is some cheap hardware that takes Nintendo far less time to produce games for. You can't compare the systems in this way.

I'll take issue with that with this graph:

console_energy_reading.jpg

So it's significantly cheaper then.

I count the number of third party games out on PS4/One that haven't also been released on 360 or PS3 on one hand, ironically there are probably more that have been released on 360/PS3 but not the next gen consoles, and the quality is definitely better. 

I know this is how people work I just don't understand why, and to be honest it's a little annoying as all these goffers that have gone and bought these consoles are making it worse for the rest of us because it's sending the message to both Sony and Microsoft that it's ok to not put any decent games out and charge us the earth as we'll buy your console anyway. This is the point I'm making, I wouldn't spend £500 on a brand new TV if half I was only allowed to watch shit channels for the first year. Especially if there was a chance said TV would be cheaper in a years time when all of it's channels were available. Makes zero sense. 

well tbh...that bit i highlighted....in most gamers view cant be said about sony & the console(Game wise....they arse it up some at times) pretty good value wise.

Xbox One well....that launch was like clapping your hands with a turd in one hand  :unsure:

didnt go well in my view....with all the issues surrounding it(pull it back some now though)

On that Graph....Energy comsumption and that is normally high-ish went first gen of new console.....when the slimmer version come it will be better.....& the prices of the consoles will be cheaper too :D

You can't argue on game exclusives alone Manwell.

It's taken 5 years to bring Watchdogs so, bearing this in mind, 5 years ago devs won't have been party to current gen spec's and games won't be fully optimised for the systems.

Any exclusive will have to be years in the making.

It shouldn't be about exclusives anyway, it's the system that runs the software in the best way possible, and right now that's through PS4. Xbone is struggling to keep up, wii u nowhere.

Anyhow, 3rd party devs are staying well clear, although hats off to ubisoft, at least you're getting Watchdogs, in some form at least, but not until around Xmas time.

That's absolute tosh of course it's about the exclusives. No point in having all the hardware if you've not got the games, gameplay over graphics every day of the week. And even if it's not, If you want to play the best version of Watch Dogs and pay £15 less for your copy you'd be better off building a PC with the money. 

£80 cheaper than a PS4, and if you're looking at value for money, with the upcoming releases and from a pure power/hardware perspective it's hard to argue it isn't worth at least £80 more.

As for Black Flag being widely considered the best game on both consoles, is it, really? It's way down the list on Metacritic (while subjective, gives an indication that it is, in fact, not considered the best game at all) and I certainly don't know anybody that considers it the best game. It is, in fact, rated much higher on the Wii U than on either the PS4 or Xbox One. Yes the Wii U has more stand out titles at present, and though you may think it isn't a big factor, in reality it is; that these newer consoles have both only been out for 6 months, any new piece of hardware will struggle in terms of quantity for the first year or so, it's happened in every console cycle to date and will probably continue as long as home consoles are developed and distributed in the manner that they are.

I agree that the numbers shifted at present is baffling, I haven't brought one yet and the fact updates are coming for them adding things that should of been there from the off monthly is, to me, astonishing and terrible in equal measure. But the fact is that if you are a gamer who had a PS1/PS2/PS3 and enjoyed owning them, you'd of been wanting a PS4 right away, same goes for Xbox/Xbox 360, you'd want a One as soon as you could, also younger gamers are seeing PS4/Xbox One everywhere they look, on billboards, on television, at sporting events, online and as soon as a few friends get one and are telling you how amazing it is (true or not) you want one as well.

Nintendo obviously need to change their strategy to the home console market, under-powered hardware and the same 3-4 mascots just aren't a viable proposition in the modern market anymore, their next console needs to be aimed at a broader audience. I think that Nintendo moving out of the home console market altogether and making games for other platforms would be a beneficial long term strategy(I think what happened to Sega still effects how people think about this, but Nintendo have a much, much stronger hand and times are different now), but that's another debate altogether.

Well it's significantly cheaper than that given you'll be able to get a Wii U Premium for £230 with Mario Kart soon, Coming close to half of the price of an Xbox One and a game and over a ton less than a PS3 without one but anyway.

I said probably it was hardly a declaration, I'm well aware there are games like "flower" with higher metacritic scores but it is as you say very subjective, and of the games costing £50 in a box I know for a fact with it's 84 odd average it's going to be right up there. Unless we're arguing the PS4 has a great array of games it's a mute point anyway. 

Good marketing is no excuse for consumer stupidity. Gamer's are probably one of the whiniest consumers on earth yet they don't seem to accept they make a rod for their own back by rushing out and buying things without thinking. 

Nintendo aren't really the point here, and am no great supporter of the company at all but they're predictable and their system will produce about 10 great games per cycle and their wont be an awful lot else and I agree they may be better going 3rd party. Which is exactly what makes the fact that they've got such a superior gaming lineup than the One of PS4 put together embarrassing. 

That's absolute tosh of course it's about the exclusives. No point in having all the hardware if you've not got the games, gameplay over graphics every day of the week. And even if it's not, If you want to play the best version of Watch Dogs and pay £15 less for your copy you'd be better off building a PC with the money.

It's not about the exclusives imo.

Will I miss Halo on xbox? Decent games, yes, but won't be missed.

If I had an xbone, would I miss God of War? Possibly, but yet again I'd be happy with my lot and wouldn't bat an eyelid.

If push came to shove and I was really desperate for exclusives, id buy both consoles, just like the last gen.

At this moment in time you cannot argue against ps4, it is the best machine and its running cross platform games better than anything else.

Case closed.

Proff that wii u is nowhere near as powerful as ps4 or xbone? ;)

Well that makes no sense! 

All the graph proves is power consumption, otherwise the Wii, according to the graph, is more powerful than the Wii U.

My point with the graph was to counter that someone said it was 'cheap hardware'. It is anything but 'cheap', it's highly efficient and well designed. something I bet the other consoles aren't quite concerned about!

Archived