Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Championship 2014/15

http://www.wiganlatics.co.uk/news/article/14-11-13-wigan-athletic-club-statement-regarding-uwe-rosler-2082134.aspx

Statement on Rosler.

Shame. I like him, I like Wigan. Hope they push on now.

2 days is a long time in football

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has thrown his support behind manager Uwe Rosler after Latics dropped into the Sky Bet Championship's bottom three.

Friday's 3-1 defeat at Bolton left Wigan with just four wins in their past 24 games and Fulham's win over Huddersfield on Saturday ensured Rosler's men slipped into the relegation zone just 18 months after winning the FA Cup.

The German was furious with the manner of the second-half collapse at Macron Stadium as the hosts scored three times in 11 minutes to leave Rosler admitting his team had "given up" in an "embarrassing" loss.

Moreover, Rosler had deflected a question on whether he feared for his job by insisting that was for Whelan to decide.

However, Whelan has publicly backed Rosler and told those playing under him that more is required if they are to stop the rot.

"There is nothing wrong with the manager," Whelan told the Wigan Evening Post.

"A good manager doesn't become a bad manager overnight, and Uwe Rosler is a good manager.

"There is no question over his ability. He's solid. He's just not getting enough from the players at the moment.

"I spoke with Uwe on Friday and I told him I was 100 per cent behind him. He needs support from everyone, and he will get it.

"The players need to pull their fingers out and give it everything - not 80 per cent or 90 per cent, but 100 per cent."

The paper ran a poll on Tuesday asking if Whelan was right to give Rosler his support and 67 per cent of Latics fans replied 'no'.

No, I think they'll win the league. 

Yeah somewhat agree i think they'll do this year.

On Wigan my tip for Rosler's replacement I'm going to say Karl Robinson i think he's due a job in the championship. Though I do admit i think Karl Robinson is quite overrated. 

Remember that time he broke his leg in an FA Cup Final once?

Did you see Paddy Power's tweet earlier?

edit: I'll find it actually for anyone who hasn't seen it.

BREAKING: Dave Whelan broke his leg once in an FA Cup final P.S: He has sacked Uwe Rösler as Wigan manager

lol lol

In response, FA managing director Adrian Bevington said: "Football has the platform to lead. Thinking discriminatory is as bad as making discriminating comments."

Aside from the fact that it's definitely not, what relevance has this got? Mackay DID make discriminatory comments...

I don't think it's a great move all round, the perception has changed from hard-done-by proper bloke sacked by mad chairman since that time. 

I hope Whelan doesn't complain if Mackay is hit with a ban if found guilty, as players have been. He knows there was a chance and although he's tried to play it down there is a possibility that Mackay might not be in charge for a while.

This won't be a successful move.

Frankly I'm still not sure why he's under investigation. If he didn't air these comments publicly then as far as I'm concerned there's no case to answer for.

As I said when it first came out, the real villains are those that released the comments. No offence would have been caused otherwise.

Stupid for Wigan to appoint someone if they're going to sack him if he's found guilty though.

Dave Whelan: Wigan owner accused of anti-Semitism

Wigan owner Dave Whelan has been accused of anti-Semitism over comments he made to a national newspaper.

It comes the same day a sponsor ended its agreement with the club over the appointment of Malky Mackay as manager.

The Football Association is looking into allegations Mackay sentoffensive text messages while Cardiff manager.

Attempting to defend the Scot in an interview with the Guardian, Whelan reportedly said: "Jewish people chase money more than everybody else."

Mackay and Cardiff's former head of recruitment Iain Moody are under investigation for alleged racism and anti-Semitism over email and text exchanges while in charge at the Welsh club.

Attempting to explain the 42-year-old Scot's appointment at Wigan, Whelan is reported to have said there was not a lot wrong with the content of his messages.

He is reported in the Guardian as saying: "It's telling the truth. Jewish people love money, English people love money; we all love money."

Kitchen firm Premier Range - which has its logo on the back of the Championship club's shirts as part of a sponsorship deal that began in July - said it had been left in an "untenable" position.

Mackay, 42, was appointed Wigan manager on Wednesday.

_79164231_premier_range_wigan_athletic_s

Premier Range carries a banner advertisement on its website

"Mr Mackay is currently under investigation by the FA for sending text messages that are at odds with the general ethos here at Premier Range," a statement said.

"A team that would employ a man who expresses views such as these is not the kind of team Premier Range wish to deal with."

Wigan have been asked to respond but are yet to comment.

Archived