Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Vichai Has Big Plans.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sports/409485/leicester-city-desperate-to-capitalise

“My goal is for Leicester to stay in the Premier League as long as possible. We should be able to stay there for at least two or three years and then my next goal will be taking the team to the top five... It will be a difficult task but we have to try to do it.â€

Vichai said he bought the Foxes when they were in the Championship because he wanted the challenge of guiding them to the highest level. â€œWhen we bought Leicester City four years ago, many people asked me why we did not buy a Premier League club and I told them that it was not a challenge for me,†he said. 

Odd that '...why we did not buy a Premier League club and I told them that it was not a challenge for me'. Don't really understand.

He wanted the challenge of really trying to progress a club? A promotion from a lower division and then into the mid-to-higher reaches of the premier league is much more challenging and impressive, is it not?

He wanted the challenge of really trying to progress a club? A promotion from a lower division and then into the mid-to-higher reaches of the premier league is much more challenging and impressive, is it not?

Surely progressing a club from Premiership -> top 6 is a massive achievement. Impressive, yes. But if they have the money to pursue top 6 I really can't see why they wouldn't have bought a PL team. It is a nice idea but not sure I buy into it.

Surely progressing a club from Premiership -> top 6 is a massive achievement. Impressive, yes. But if they have the money to pursue top 6 I really can't see why they wouldn't have bought a PL team. It is a nice idea but not sure I buy into it.

that being said I have no reason not to, I've just finished my dissertation and would literally argue with a brick wall right now.

The owners have been spot on over the course of the season, but this is a bit strange.

Although more extreme, Cardiff and QPR ownership have made comments like this before.

If we were to see a poor return in points by Christmas, I hope the owners stick with Nigel.

Crazy, top 5 yeah right! How about trying to win the FA cup and staying in the league, that would be a perfect season.

Top 5 pursuit will begin in 2/3 years time. Meaning in 4/5 years time they want to see us pushing on with intent.

This doesn't change our objective of surviving in the Premier League next season.

I'd much rather Vichai had said that we'll copy the Blackpool model and 4th bottom is good enough for us...

He is in Thailand which will become our main overseas fanbase, to entice of course he is going to drum up interest by saying we hope to challenge.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27387616?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Leicester City: Billionaire owner 'will spend £180m' to make top five

Newly-promoted Leicester City's owner want a top-five finish in the Premier League within three years - and will spend the money needed to get there.

The Championship title winners have returned to the top flight after a decade-long absence.

Billionaire Thai chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha outlined the club's next steps to reporters in Bangkok.

Leicester in Europe
  • 1961-62 (European Cup Winners' Cup): 1st rd
  • 1997-98 (Uefa Cup): 1st rd
  • 2000-01 (Uefa Cup): 1st rd

He said: "It will take a huge amount of money, possibly 10bn Thai Baht (£180m), to get there. That doesn't put us off."

Srivaddhanaprabha added: "I am asking for three years, and we'll be there.

"We won't take the huge leap to challenge the league's top five clubs immediately.

"Do we have a chance to beat them? Yes, we have, but I think we need to establish our foothold in the league first and then we think about our next step.

Nigel Pearson's side collected 102 points on their way to landing the Championship title. And the manager share's his chairman's optimism.

"The important thing is we're going with a belief that we can achieve," he said after showing off the Championship trophy to fans in the Thai capital.

"It's important we continue to improve everything about ourselves. So, we can challenge for the top five. But, of course, one step at the time."

Leicester have qualified for Europe three times, most recently as the 2000 League Cup winners. They went out of the 2000-01 Uefa Cup in the first round, losing 4-2 on aggregate to Red Star Belgrade of Serbia.

Srivaddhanaprabha's consortium took over at Leicester in 2010.

I'd much rather Vichai had said that we'll copy the Blackpool model and 4th bottom is good enough for us...

He is in Thailand which will become our main overseas fanbase, to entice of course he is going to drum up interest by saying we hope to challenge.

probably has his eye on some sponsorship dosh too

Well, it's nice to be ambitious, but I hope they don't get deluded to the point where Nigel is under pressure. The top 5 is well beyond us in the next 3 years, and for the forseeable future.

Taking us to the Premier League is great but it was always a realistic target, this isn't.

Archived