Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Vichai Has Big Plans.

People may also have laughed if Palace said they would finish 11tb this season. Or if Hull/Swansea said they'd get Europa qualification in first year. Or if Soton said top 8 in 2 years... Etc etc.

Lots of success stories in recent years. Owners need to keep their heads though as it won't be a completely smooth ride.

Thing is though, if this so called £180 million turns out to be a misquote or just made up by the bbc, its going to cost us an awful lot of wonga when trying to buy new players. As soon as their agents see that kind of money being banded about, it'll be open season.

Yes, but how much can agents and clubs really demand for players nobody has ever heard of? That's why you shouldn't be worried in that respect, especially as we're in the PL now.

The next Le Havre or Guingamp isn't going to be able to say 'Well we'd have sold at £500k but now we've read that crap BBC article actually it's going to be £10 million for this fringe 20 year old we have"

Do people think that agents who work in football everyday don't know how these things work?It's not like we're planning on buying superstars, anyone coming here will be getting a payrise anyway or will be an experience player looking for a last pay day. Nobody is going to hold us to ransom.

I've nothing against the owners stating their intentions but to do so whilst waving the notes around is asking for trouble imo. On one hand we're told there's a 30k a week wage cap and on the other we're told it'll take a £180 million spend over the next three years to reach our target.

Doesn't add up. Something is going to break somewhere along the line.

Although180 million shouldn't be sniffed at I think the figures are less impressive when you consider everything.

For example a squad of 20 averaging 30k a week (30k probably being reserved for a top 5 team) would take over 90mill up straight away. That would leave possibly 25m a season on transfer, agent and signing on fees, even less if we are planning stadium expansion and other house keeping.

Yes this shows we are serious about staying in the prem but I think it would take 250 to 300 million, a well oiled machine and a lot of luck to compete with clubs like Spurs.

Fans that actually know the facts about Leicester?

My God.

I'm sure there have been other links to their posts about us before and they're by far the most educated (I know, ?!) on football and are pragmatic about things.

Setting the bar ambitiously is the work of a business man. I am actually of the opinion that the fact that the owners are ventilating their ambitions should be be taken positively by all. Should the ambition of "survival" be our only focus? Or is it better with ambitions and (maybe) high targets. I think not, and if we meet the high expectations we are in for a massive ride for LCFC.

We have for too long been content (or have had to live with lower performances than expected and hoped for) and its refreshing to see the owners having even higher aims. Fancy European trips, playing the best sides in the country on equal (financial) terms must excite ANY fan. Times are a changing and it is so cool being part of it.

Pressure yes - but that is part of the game and if we can´t handle it then lets stay in The Championship. I for one cannot wait to see the development of City after decades of bad performances and negativity.

Up the Blues and fear no one!

love this

Our owners are not daft and they will be fully aware of how difficult the premier league is but surely this is to drum up some interest in Thailand where future investment could come from.

Like many, ive seen us go up and down but everytime we have been successful, we've been waiting for our best players or management team to be taken away.

If true, the Liam Moore transfer to Fulham in January is an indication that our owners are the real deal and won't take the carrot if we don't want / need to.

Can't imagine Bloor or Shipman turning down an offer like that.

We're back and not to make up the numbers this time :-)

Can't believe how out of proportion this '£180m figure' has been taken. He never said anything about £180m. Stupid English media digging for a story as per....

He said he would like to establish top flight football for three years then push towards the top 5 but who knows that could cost a lot of money "possibly 10bn Tha baht" It was an off the cuff statement with absolutely no substance...

He doesn't say "Oh yes Nigel has got a £200m Warchest this summer". He has said nothing at all wrong and with regard to them mentioning money and it making agents ask more for transfers / wages... Oh right, so before this they didn't know the owners were worth a cheeky billion quid.

Think about it guys...... :nigel:

Can't believe how out of proportion this '£180m figure' has been taken. He never said anything about £180m. Stupid English media digging for a story as per....

He said he would like to establish top flight football for three years then push towards the top 5 but who knows that could cost a lot of money "possibly 10bn Tha baht" It was an off the cuff statement with absolutely no substance...

I can't see where you're coming from. He wouldnt have mentioned 10bn baht if he isn't prepared to use it. 10bn baht = £180m so there's plently of substance.

I can't see where you're coming from. He wouldnt have mentioned 10bn baht if he isn't prepared to use it. 10bn baht = £180m so there's plently of substance.

I think it was just a throw away comment as it is a very round figure 10bn... Was he not just getting across that a lot of money will need to be spent to progress the club?? Just makes me a laugh how this exact figure of £180m is being banded about as if ' that's yer lot' or we are going to blow it and do a QPR this summer. If they are here long term they will 'spend' far more than 180 million, they have blown 100 million already?!   :dunno:

"Here you go Nige, £180m exactly son, mind how you go"  lol

I think it was just a throw away comment as it is a very round figure 10bn... Was he not just getting across that a lot of money will need to be spent to progress the club?? Just makes me a laugh how this exact figure of £180m is being banded about as if ' that's yer lot' or we are going to blow it and do a QPR this summer. If they are here long term they will 'spend' far more than 180 million, they have blown 100 million already?! :dunno:

"Here you go Nige, £180m exactly son, mind how you go" lol

Agree, a throw away comment. My worry is that we've not heard a thing from them all season. We make it to the prem and stupid comments (twisted or not) start to come out. The media profile of our club had multiplied by a 100. I just hope that people surrounding the club are a bit careful on what they say. Very easy if a journalist wants to talk to you that some may become a bit too big for their boots. Everyone likes their 15 minutes of fame.

This club, no matter how much money they throw at it ( and for whatever reason) is still our club. Therefore there is only one group that should be able to talk shit about our club... US!!!

I'm not sure I'm totally comfortable with them coming out with this sort of statement which can and already has been slightly misqouted etc.

On the plus side I'm glad they are ambitious and of course it isn't just the fans and media and players they are addressing. If we are to seriously compete then we have to raise our financial base considerably and this sort of talk goes down well with prospective advertisers and sponsors.

However, top 5 is pretty much unrealistic for any club the size of us. Essentially there are currently 5 clubs who can win the league. this will be the same next year and probaly in 5 years time and 5 years after that. These clubs aren't going to fade and will never be relegated and though other clubs like Spurs or Everton of Newcastle might have the occasional brilliant season and finish top 4 or 5  the chance of the breaking the monopoly at the top of the league is slim. Sadly the Premier leage as a competition is split between the bigger clubs getting bigger and bigger and the rest just struggling to stay in the league. As soon as any medium sized club has a good season then the vultures come circling and their best players are snatched up (as sadly appears to be happening to Southampton) and are hard to replace even if you spend all the money as Spurs have done this season. Players only real loyalty is to their bank balance. Thye appear they would rather spend half a season not playing at a club like Liverpool than playing regularly for say Southampton. I don't blame them at all but that is the reality.

Personally I'd be delighted with staying up next season and trying to get into say top 15 the season after and then see but even this will be very difficult and statements such as those made by the owners sadly set us up for a possible fall.

As champions they have been interviewed and questioned, it makes sense we would hear from them now, and it makes sense that they would state they they are looking for success. They sound like broad comments that are being quoted as definitive rather than targets.

As for the 180m and top 5 stuff, lets be honest if we are going to tempt some players to the club, weve got to be offering them something and that something is potential success and challenging for Europe etc.

Given their management of the club so far, i think we can at least show a little faith and trust in them. In fact the only time they've really seemed to bugger things up... was at the start, while MM was still "helping" them.

This could be shrewd business talk from the chairman. I don't see this as a negative.

They are currently in Thailand trying to convert their whole home nation into following Leicester, something which with will generate a massive cash flow for the club. They also want to attract those hungry young players with ambition (much like what we already have), a signal that we are not looking to simply survive but into the top half. 

What better way than saying how highly ambitious the club is. It may sway both fans and those young talented players to join Leicester. It was not said in a air of desperation that we must spend 180m and be top 5 at all costs. 

The 30K wage cap that has been banded about will keep the greedy agents from the door as they know where they stand player wage wise. It then comes down to the fee for the player which is between clubs, very different to agents. 180 million gets an awful lot of talented young players even if they all earn 30K a week. It does not get many galacticos on £100K a week, but I believe we are not looking for those. The Southampton model works very well and I believe they have around a 40K cap on salary.

Archived