Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Vichai Has Big Plans.

Really weird that this has come out, it flies in the face of how the owners and NP have operated, in terms of giving the media nothing to go on. 

Now we've just put ourselves under unnecessary pressure. 

I think it means we have a better chance of attracting young quality players who want first team Premiership football now, and European football in two or three years time, very clever!

However, top 5 is pretty much unrealistic for any club the size of us. Essentially there are currently 5 clubs who can win the league. this will be the same next year and probaly in 5 years time and 5 years after that. These clubs aren't going to fade and will never be relegated and though other clubs like Spurs or Everton of Newcastle might have the occasional brilliant season and finish top 4 or 5  the chance of the breaking the monopoly at the top of the league is slim.

So the top 5 will be the same in 10 years time?

Was it the same top 5 10 years ago?

Exiting times for our club!

Yes, we've just exited the Championship.

Really weird that this has come out, it flies in the face of how the owners and NP have operated, in terms of giving the media nothing to go on. 

Now we've just put ourselves under unnecessary pressure. 

Remember laughing at Martin O'neil when he said that he wanted European football within 3 years.

18 months later we were in in!!!!

So the top 5 will be the same in 10 years time?

Was it the same top 5 10 years ago?

Yes, we've just exited the Championship.

Actually I think there is a pretty good chance it will be.

In the 22 years of the premiership except for the sides I mentioned only the following have broken the top 4

Blackburn 3 times finishing 1st 2nd and 4th on one occasion each  won itback in 1995

Aston Villa 2nd on one occasion  way back in 1992 very first season of the premier

Leeds  3rd and fourth once each   back in 2002

Norwich 3rd once       this is way back in 92/3

Notts Forest 3rd  once  this is way back in 94/5

The thing is the premier league has moved on so much since it started and none of these were within the last ten years. As I said soemtimes a side like Everton might break into the top five but the chances are few and far between especially with the resurgance of Liverpool and man utd won't be poor for long.

The Southampton model works very well and I believe they have around a 40K cap on salary.

Looks like they are about to lose their best 2 players. going to be impossible to keep a salary cap and your best players, longer term, unless that salary cap is allowed to rise significantly. of course, extending a contract with a significant resigning fee gets around that.

really not troubled by what the chairman said. he was just stating what he imagines it will cost over a three year period to get a team to the level he wants to.  i think he is well underneath the figure required. everyone out there (agents and clubs) knows we have money but they also know that the manager wont spend aimlessly and to excess.

Crazy, top 5 yeah right! How about trying to win the FA cup and staying in the league, that would be a perfect season.

He said that top 5 is a longer time goal. First years it's just about staying in the Premier League.

Or 30 million the first season - 12-14th place finish

60 million the next season - 8th-12th place finish

90 million the third season - 5th -8th place finish

:pearson:

Does that include wages as well ? Top players are going cost big money and they will demand big wages , surely its going cost well over 180 million. Love the ambition though.

http://www.sl10.ng/news/articles/leagues/english-barclays-premier-league/leicester-city-interested-in-joseph-yobo/162485

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/13/leicester-owners-top-five-premier-league

Whatever he may have actually said, he's ended up making himself & us look a bit silly.

Obviously this is being stirred up to be something it isn't but his choice of words were not the best.

Well, maybe it will all help him make more money but it hasn't made us look very good.

Maybe owners should just keep their traps shut full stop.

http://www.sl10.ng/news/articles/leagues/english-barclays-premier-league/leicester-city-interested-in-joseph-yobo/162485

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/13/leicester-owners-top-five-premier-league

Whatever he may have actually said, he's ended up making himself & us look a bit silly.

Obviously this is being stirred up to be something it isn't but his choice of words were not the best.

Well, maybe it will all help him make more money but it hasn't made us look very good.

Must admit, i didnt realize we had already bid twice for Yobo.... Always liked him at Everton. He isnt world class or anything but you could of put  Nemanja vidic or John Terry in that Norwich team and they would of still been relegated.

Nowich's relegation isn't necessarily a benchmark by which to judge one player is basically what i am trying to say....

And the 180m hes talking about? it simply works out to be the tv money over the next three years. Thats all. Hes not actually planning on spending any of his own money....

Played six games for Norwich. If he hasn't been injured that does put me off a bit.

Not sure about injuries, but he only joined them at the end of January didnt he?

pPretty sure he played more than 6 too but i could be wrong..... He joined them to get match fit after a kneww injury first half of the season....

People are very negative here. Perhaps they are so unused to the idea that we can be a top club that they try it comes across as sceptical. This is the kind of statement most clubs would dream of and yet some people are effectively just saying it'll all end in tears.

Someone remarked that the top 4 will always, give or take the odd season, be the same. This is not what the history books as fans of chelsea and man city will testify. Neither were top flight never mind top 4 when their wealthy owners took over. On the othet hand fans of Leeds and Forest over 40 can recall winning the league multiple times. Greater Leicester has a population of over half a million and has only one professional club so it is feasible to imagine, with an expanded stadium, regular attendances of 35,000 plus if the club is successful over several years.

Of course it may all go wrong but history bears out that there is a strong correlation brtween spending lots of money over several years and success. The chances are we're going to do well eventually, when that sort of money is spent so let's be optimistic,

I'm not sure I agree with all the talk of us looking a bit silly, granted in the short term there might be some come back, but isn't the idea to change the perceptions of the lcfc 'brand'?

People go on about sven's time here as a disaster (and it may well have become if financial FairPlay had hit sooner), but actually did it not change perceptions of lcfc from a team the season before that had been seen as 'lucky' to get into the playoffs to a team that should be winning the league and be in the premiership?

From a devils advocate point of view could it not be a strategic rebranding of lcfc, from a group of highly successful businessmen, with long term growth of the brand the primary aim? (Both very important in attracting new players and new fans?)

Establishing ourselves for a few years, before pushing on makes perfect sense. Mentioning an amount of money is just plain stupid though.

Also, looking at the near permanent top 7, I would suggest 8th is the highest place any other team could finish, unless we were to spend an amount of money that would see us barred from Europe anyway.

Vichai/Top please never mention money again, its mention detracted from legitimate vision.

If we can get established, I'm hoping for a return to the days of top 10, supplemented by cup wins

How long has it taken for the moan in to set in? If you read the original (thai) article it makes perfect sense- they are bigging us up - of course! 

In thirty years this is THE happiest I have felt about city. I genuinely believe that last year's squad would have survived in the premiership. I genuinely believe our owners have a sensible plan for our future. I genuinely believe that our manager is FVCKING shrewd (hands up, I had my doubts 2 years ago - I was wrong). But fellow fans, you have to enjoy it now, because it may never get better than this. Personally I think it will, but now of all times is not the time to be down on our wonderful club.

How long has it taken for the moan in to set in? If you read the original (thai) article it makes perfect sense- they are bigging us up - of course! 

In thirty years this is THE happiest I have felt about city. I genuinely believe that last year's squad would have survived in the premiership. I genuinely believe our owners have a sensible plan for our future. I genuinely believe that our manager is FVCKING shrewd (hands up, I had my doubts 2 years ago - I was wrong). But fellow fans, you have to enjoy it now, because it may never get better than this. Personally I think it will, but now of all times is not the time to be down on our wonderful club.

Agree with this. For the first time I've supported City we have a combination of a well run club, seriously ambitious owners with the wealth to back that ambition up and a good manager with a squad capable of progressing and competing in the top flight. These are good times, we're on the cusp of a new era, and one which I feel will bring us some success and good times.

Thanks to the bbc though people are completely misreading what Vichai said, however, if you look round the internet there are not that many people laughing, while a lot doubt the (bbc's 3 years) there is respect for our ambition.

Agree, a throw away comment. My worry is that we've not heard a thing from them all season. We make it to the prem and stupid comments (twisted or not) start to come out. The media profile of our club had multiplied by a 100. I just hope that people surrounding the club are a bit careful on what they say. Very easy if a journalist wants to talk to you that some may become a bit too big for their boots. Everyone likes their 15 minutes of fame.

This club, no matter how much money they throw at it ( and for whatever reason) is still our club. Therefore there is only one group that should be able to talk shit about our club... US!!!

erm, they own it, we're paying customers. that's like saying you own Microsoft windows and Bill Gates can't say anything.

Archived