Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Vichai Has Big Plans.

There was always going to be articles like this, and the media were always going to skew the words.

Obviously, the owners aspire to do well and I think their interview was reasonably measured but I hope they learn that they need to stay vague and avoid numbers at all times.

BBC have put a big spin on that. it was establish and then push on. Not top 5 in 3 years. Bad sensationalism, but typical of modern media.  

Doesn't our local radio expert Mr Stringer put stories up on there... stinks of him.

<p>

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27387616?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Leicester City: Billionaire owner 'will spend £180m' to make top five

Newly-promoted Leicester City's owner want a top-five finish in the Premier League within three years - and will spend the money needed to get there.

The Championship title winners have returned to the top flight after a decade-long absence.

Billionaire Thai chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha outlined the club's next steps to reporters in Bangkok.

Leicester in Europe

• 1961-62 (European Cup Winners' Cup): 1st rd
  • 1997-98 (Uefa Cup): 1st rd
  • 2000-01 (Uefa Cup): 1st rd

He said: "It will take a huge amount of money, possibly 10bn Thai Baht (£180m), to get there. That doesn't put us off."

Srivaddhanaprabha added: "I am asking for three years, and we'll be there.

"We won't take the huge leap to challenge the league's top five clubs immediately.

"Do we have a chance to beat them? Yes, we have, but I think we need to establish our foothold in the league first and then we think about our next step.

Nigel Pearson's side collected 102 points on their way to landing the Championship title. And the manager share's his chairman's optimism.

"The important thing is we're going with a belief that we can achieve," he said after showing off the Championship trophy to fans in the Thai capital.

"It's important we continue to improve everything about ourselves. So, we can challenge for the top five. But, of course, one step at the time."

Leicester have qualified for Europe three times, most recently as the 2000 League Cup winners. They went out of the 2000-01 Uefa Cup in the first round, losing 4-2 on aggregate to Red Star Belgrade of Serbia.

Srivaddhanaprabha's consortium took over at Leicester in 2010.

Well that puts Pearson under a shit load of pressure then. It's all good looking forward but only at a step at a time.

Cant please some people - if they had said 'we will invest in the squad but it will be very difficult to stay in the premier league and just happy to stay up' people would be slating them for no ambition. 

However I am happy to hear this from Vichai as we do not often hear from him at all - he has come out saying he is ambitious, sees the potential and is willing to shell out to get there. Now we just need to get on with it, bring in the right players and stay up next year. It may make us the laughing stock for now with misquoted articles (bbc one probably written by Stringer who is clueless) but in the end the money will be there to spend, players will know this and simply put our results next year will do the talking.

"My goal is for Leicester to stay in the Premier League as long as possible. We should be able to stay there for at least two or three years and then my next goal will be taking the team to the top five... It will be a difficult task but we have to try to do it.â€

A perfectly reasonable business plan. Not sure how anyone can dispute this

NP is ambitious as well if you look at some of his interviews he isn't content with just survival in the prem he wants us to achieve far more than that, it is good that both the owners and the manager want to be successful and I think we can.

see the jealously arising

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/230674/leicester-top-5-2017

Also racism:

very uncomfortable with a thai billionaire when most thais barely have a pot to piss in.

How dare somebody from a country with low GDP become a successful businessman. 

:nigel: 

“My goal is for Leicester to stay in the Premier League as long as possible. We should be able to stay there for at least two or three years and then my next goal will be taking the team to the top five... It will be a difficult task but we have to try to do it.â€

So, we have three years to get established, hopefully in mid-table by 2017, then we'll try and get into Europe, with no time limit suggested. And no guarantees, as Vichai says "we have to TRY to do it".

It will be a monumental ask but there is nothing there that says anything has to be done other than establishing ourselves in the league in the next three years.

Read the Bangkok post version and it merely says we will be looking to establish ourselfs for 2-3 seasons before pushing on to bigger things. More realistic, not europe in three years

Exactly, there's nothing wrong with this or why they brought us, or is all the stuff about seeing us lift the league cup bull?

I'm actually rather disappointed by Vichai going public with this. What could he possibly hope to gain from it? 

There are so many negative aspects of making statements like these. Mainly:

1. Announcing the exact budget he's going to spend makes no sense. That's the sort if thing money-hungry agents thrive on.

2. Revealing budgets and targets like these creates pressure from the media and other external factors (including fans).

3. It makes us look deluded. Top five? Which out of the new "Big Seven" (Spurs, Everton, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and the two Manchester clubs) are we going to nudge of their perch, exactly? 

Have the ambition of reaching top five, fine. Ring-fence £180m for getting world class talent, lovely. But why broadcast it? I seriously don't understand. Somebody explain? 

I'm actually rather disappointed by Vichai going public with this. What could he possibly hope to gain from it? 

There are so many negative aspects of making statements like these. Mainly:

1. Announcing the exact budget he's going to spend makes no sense. That's the sort if thing money-hungry agents thrive on.

2. Revealing budgets and targets like these creates pressure from the media and other external factors (including fans).

3. It makes us look deluded. Top five? Which out of the new "Big Seven" (Spurs, Everton, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and the two Manchester clubs) are we going to nudge of their perch, exactly? 

Have the ambition of reaching top five, fine. Ring-fence £180m for getting world class talent, lovely. But why broadcast it? I seriously don't understand. Somebody explain? 

FFS, he has done nothing of the sort, he has said what they want to acheive long term and speculated on how much investment it will require and how that doesn't put them off, he hasn't said "We will spend £180m this summer", money hungry agents are already sniffing round, it doesn't matter what is or isn't said, the fact of the matter is we are guaranteed to earn £63m next season even if we don't win a point.

He has stated that after a few years of consolidation we should then be looking to challenge the top 5, and aiming to get into Europe, not that we will challenge the top 5 this season, or next, or even the one after.

I really am losing faith in the education standards in the UK, as it is clear some people lack basic comprehension skills.

FFS, he has done nothing of the sort, he has said what they want to acheive long term and speculated on how much investment it will require and how that doesn't put them off, he hasn't said "We will spend £180m this summer", money hungry agents are already sniffing round, it doesn't matter what is or isn't said, the fact of the matter is we are guaranteed to earn £63m next season even if we don't win a point.

He has stated that after a few years of consolidation we should then be looking to challenge the top 5, and aiming to get into Europe, not that we will challenge the top 5 this season, or next, or even the one after.

I really am losing faith in the education standards in the UK, as it is clear some people lack basic comprehension skills.

Summed it up for me

Not really what we needed him to be saying. It's certainly given the press a story and it's everywhere now.

Firstly, it undermines the work that Pearson has done in shaking the big-spending tag. Secondly, it puts unnecessary pressure on everyone at the club. And thirdly, it's completely unrealistic at this moment in time.

Vichai hasn't been around a lot over the last couple of years and seems to have left most of the day-to-day stuff to Top. I have no problem with Vichai becoming more visible again now that we've been promoted (afterall he invested the money) but I also can't help but feel that Top is the one who has got the better grasp of English football and how things should be done. All of the interviews with Top have been realistic and sensible, showing that lessons have been learned, but the first time Vichai pops up in God knows how long we get talk of £180million and top-five...

Not really what we needed him to be saying. It's certainly given the press a story and it's everywhere now.

Firstly, it undermines the work that Pearson has done in shaking the big-spending tag. Secondly, it puts unnecessary pressure on everyone at the club. And thirdly, it's completely unrealistic at this moment in time.

Vichai hasn't been around a lot over the last couple of years and seems to have left most of the day-to-day stuff to Top. I have no problem with Vichai becoming more visible again now that we've been promoted (afterall he invested the money) but I also can't help but feel that Top is the one who has got the better grasp of English football and how things should be done. All of the interviews with Top have been realistic and sensible, showing that lessons have been learned, but the first time Vichai pops up in God knows how long we get talk of £180million and top-five...

Another one who's hasn't read the article properly

I suspect the translation from Thai into English may be lost something here and therefore this is not

an 100% accurate report. On the other hand, If you are trying to attract interest in Thailand and SouthEast Asia generally, then this kind of approach is in fact, spot on. New Sponsors will want to see

ambition and to say we are aiming to finish 17th is not going to attract new fans and corporate

investors, is it?

The Turf Moor Pie Eaters are not going to happy when they see this, that's for sure.

£180 pound notes? Bloomin' market leaders . . .

I suspect the translation from Thai into English may be lost something here and therefore this is not
an 100% accurate report. On the other hand, If you are trying to attract interest in Thailand and SouthEast Asia generally, then this kind of approach is in fact, spot on. New Sponsors will want to see
ambition and to say we are aiming to finish 17th is not going to attract new fans and corporate
investors, is it?

The Turf Moor Pie Eaters are not going to happy when they see this, that's for sure.

£180 pound notes?, bloomin' market leaders . . . !

He has stated that after a few years of consolidation we should then be looking to challenge the top 5, and aiming to get into Europe, not that we will challenge the top 5 this season, or next, or even the one after.

Erm. His exact quote was:

"It will take a huge amount of money, possibly 10bn Thai Baht (£180m), to get there. That doesn't put us off. I am asking for three years, and we'll be there."

Nothing about "a few years of consolidation and then looking to challenge top 5". He clearly says he will spend £180 and within three years expects us to be top 5. 

If somebody's level of comprehension skills (sic) are in doubt then they are yours, chump.

Archived