Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Vichai Has Big Plans.

Erm. His exact quote was:

"It will take a huge amount of money, possibly 10bn Thai Baht (£180m), to get there. That doesn't put us off. I am asking for three years, and we'll be there."

Nothing about "a few years of consolidation and then looking to challenge top 5". He clearly says he will spend £180 and within three years expects us to be top 5. 

If somebody's level of comprehension skills (sic) are in doubt then they are yours, chump.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/13/leicester-owners-top-five-premier-league

Looks like you have misread it.

Like all promoted clubs, survival is the initial goal for Leicester but billionaire chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha has grander notions in the years ahead.

"We want to stay in the EPL as long as possible," Vichai told reporters in Bangkok on Monday after the team enjoyed a three-day stay in the Thai holiday destination of Phuket.

"But we won't take the huge leap to challenge the league's top five clubs immediately. Do we have a chance to beat them? Yes, we have, but I think we need to establish our foothold in the league first and then we think about our next step.

"It will take a huge amount of money, possibly 10 billion Thai Baht ($306.56 million), to get there. But that doesn't put us off. I am asking for three years, and we'll be there."

And also NP 

We have to be adaptable when we play big teams. But, the important thing is we're going with a belief that we can achieve," he said after showing off the Championship trophy to fans in the Thai capital.

"I want to set high standards for ourselves. The next challenge for us as a club is to establish ourselves in the EPL.

"We're not going to make up the numbers. We want to be competitive. We've tasted success now. It's important we continue to improve everything about ourselves. So, we can challenge for the top five.

"But, of course, one step at the time. The boys are really looking forward to playing with some of the best teams in the world."

Tbf he's just stating the obvious. He wants us to stay in the PL for aslong as possible and move onto trying to get into Europe after a few seasons in the PL. Hope it all works out with Pearson in charge throughout. I'm sure he will find the right players to push us forward. The Chairman is obviously backing Pearson, and if he's willing to spend £180 million then that's great.

Not sure why Vichai is now wanging his cock around in everyone’s faces. The owners should just shut up about how much money they’ve got, and let Pearson get on with his job.

This all sounds very similar to the kind of tripe that they started saying when they first took over, and got Sven in and told him to waste as much money as possible on players like Beckham and Owen Hargreaves.

Have the Thais learnt NOTHING?? This sort of bragging just makes us the sort of club that pisses everybody off, and who everybody will want to beat next season.

We’ve been successful this season because of Pearson’s ‘under-the-radar’ approach.  

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/13/leicester-owners-top-five-premier-league

Looks like you have misread it.

Like all promoted clubs, survival is the initial goal for Leicester but billionaire chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha has grander notions in the years ahead.

"We want to stay in the EPL as long as possible," Vichai told reporters in Bangkok on Monday after the team enjoyed a three-day stay in the Thai holiday destination of Phuket.

"But we won't take the huge leap to challenge the league's top five clubs immediately. Do we have a chance to beat them? Yes, we have, but I think we need to establish our foothold in the league first and then we think about our next step.

"It will take a huge amount of money, possibly 10 billion Thai Baht ($306.56 million), to get there. But that doesn't put us off. I am asking for three years, and we'll be there."

And also NP 

We have to be adaptable when we play big teams. But, the important thing is we're going with a belief that we can achieve," he said after showing off the Championship trophy to fans in the Thai capital.

"I want to set high standards for ourselves. The next challenge for us as a club is to establish ourselves in the EPL.

"We're not going to make up the numbers. We want to be competitive. We've tasted success now. It's important we continue to improve everything about ourselves. So, we can challenge for the top five.

"But, of course, one step at the time. The boys are really looking forward to playing with some of the best teams in the world."

I haven't misread it at all. I'm just concentrating in the bit that comes after the quote you have highlighted. The one that offers more detail on your highlighted bit. He specifically says three years "and we'll be there". Now, unless something was lost in translation between the actual quote made in Thai, that means that he wants us to be top 5 within three years. And he puts a price on it. And I have a problem with both of those statements being made public a mere week after we have been promoted. 

As for NP's comments, they are, as expected, reasonable and considered. 

Summed it up for me

+1

I for one am actually buzzing - like I have been the the last few weeks

For god sake what would you rather have - some American businessman using the club to prop up other loans - for god sake get a grip

I'm actually rather disappointed by Vichai going public with this. What could he possibly hope to gain from it? 

There are so many negative aspects of making statements like these. Mainly:

1. Announcing the exact budget he's going to spend makes no sense. That's the sort if thing money-hungry agents thrive on.

2. Revealing budgets and targets like these creates pressure from the media and other external factors (including fans).

3. It makes us look deluded. Top five? Which out of the new "Big Seven" (Spurs, Everton, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and the two Manchester clubs) are we going to nudge of their perch, exactly? 

Have the ambition of reaching top five, fine. Ring-fence £180m for getting world class talent, lovely. But why broadcast it? I seriously don't understand. Somebody explain? 

Erm. His exact quote was:

"It will take a huge amount of money, possibly 10bn Thai Baht (£180m), to get there. That doesn't put us off. I am asking for three years, and we'll be there."

Nothing about "a few years of consolidation and then looking to challenge top 5". He clearly says he will spend £180 and within three years expects us to be top 5. 

If somebody's level of comprehension skills (sic) are in doubt then they are yours, chump.

You're reading into a far more sensationalised version than has actually been said. The target he's come out with is to consolidate and secure us as a premiership team over the next 2/3 years, then push on - with the eventual aim being to be regulars in Europe. I.e. what every fan would realistically come out with - consolidate then build.

Just added a premium to any players we want to but, still lets see what happens, look like he wants to make an impact, just hope they give Nigel and the team the time to get use to the PL

You're right... I'm trying to put a positive spin on things...maybe it will help potential quality signings see that we are ambitious?

Could be a coded message to Kasper too...

I know, I know... clutching at straws...

Not gonna happen, but if it does I guarantee Pearson won't be our manager in 3 years time.

We are looking at, probably spending 80-90 million in one season somewhere down the line  :o

It looks intriguing now, but within 3 years it could be an absolute disaster.

“My goal is for Leicester to stay in the Premier League as long as possible. We should be able to stay there for at least two or three years and then my next goal will be taking the team to the top five..."

Please credit and share this article with others using this link:http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sports/409485/leicester-city-desperate-to-capitalise. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. © Post Publishing PCL. All rights reserved.

I think that is pretty clear, the "we will be there in 3 years" quote is either out of context or a bad translation, he is clearly not saying and has no intention of saying we will be in the top 5 in 3 years.

EVERY team in the Premiership wants to challenge the top five…

Cardiff started last season telling everybody how much money they had and how great they were going to be. Now look at them.

Newcastle, Sunderland, Everton, Villa, West Ham. All massive clubs with ambition. To think that we can just spend a load of money and suddenly become able to do what none of these clubs has been able to do despite their countless years in the Premiership is crass, bordering on stupidity.

We are setting ourselves up for a big fall.

The Thais made a total balls-up of their first two years in charge here. Let’s not forget that. They need to learn to show some respect to their opponents, and that you need more than just money to be successful in football.

Not gonna happen, but if it does I guarantee Pearson won't be our manager in 3 years time.

We are looking at, probably spending 80-90 million in one season somewhere down the line  :o

It looks intriguing now, but within 3 years it could be an absolute disaster.

Someone please tell him.....

Not sure why Vichai is now wanging his cock around in everyone’s faces. The owners should just shut up about how much money they’ve got, and let Pearson get on with his job.

This all sounds very similar to the kind of tripe that they started saying when they first took over, and got Sven in and told him to waste as much money as possible on players like Beckham and Owen Hargreaves.

Have the Thais learnt NOTHING?? This sort of bragging just makes us the sort of club that pisses everybody off, and who everybody will want to beat next season.

We’ve been successful this season because of Pearson’s ‘under-the-radar’ approach.  

There are probably a thousand reasons why we have been successful this season. The 'under-the-radar' approach is one of them but a small one at that. 

I think people are misunderstanding the aims and massively over-reacting to what's been said. It's likely opposition fans will want to see it in this sensationalised way but who cares what they think. It's great to see ambition. I wouldn't want us to go into next season pretending that 17th is what we are truly aiming for, when in reality we all know we have the potential for far better. 

People also need to understand the context of these interviews and quotes. The team are in Thailand, partly on holiday but also partly as a way of promoting the club. If you want to sell something to someone you don't do it half-heartedly. The owners have already said they want to build this team not only for themselves to be proud of but for the whole of Thailand to be proud of as well. What better way to get excitement over there than to say we want to establish ourselves and then challenge for the top 5 in the most exciting and well-known league in the world. It's just pure marketing sense. To go out there and say we are just hoping to survive relegation for the coming one or two seasons is like taking your product to a potential buyer and saying "Well at the moment our plan is to just make it work, then after that we're not too sure but we think we can improve little bits".

Also, the bit about bragging. In what way are they bragging? They've said it could take that amount of money to achieve the aims they want. They have in no way said it is all going to be spent now. They haven't even said it's all for transfer fees and wages. A fair amount of that will be on things like the youth development system, the facilities at the training ground, the stadium and so on. It's pretty naïve think no-one knows we have money to spend. It's been in the news that our owners have just bought a jet for $72 million, or something like that, for god's sake! Information is so accessible these days. Do you really think it will have taken until now for other clubs to know what they're up against in terms of financial power when they are bargaining with Leicester City? If they didn't know before now then that is really poor business, the owners are worth over a billion!

Sorry to pick you out by the way. This is more of a general rant, but the whole idea of "bragging" got me going  :P

the actual quote basically says we want to stay up then after 3 years of that (hopefully with a bit of progression each year, a la southampton) we could be in a position to challenge for europe (a la southampton). 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27387616?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Leicester City: Billionaire owner 'will spend £180m' to make top five

Newly-promoted Leicester City's owner want a top-five finish in the Premier League within three years - and will spend the money needed to get there.

The Championship title winners have returned to the top flight after a decade-long absence.

Billionaire Thai chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha outlined the club's next steps to reporters in Bangkok.

Leicester in Europe
  • 1961-62 (European Cup Winners' Cup): 1st rd
  • 1997-98 (Uefa Cup): 1st rd
  • 2000-01 (Uefa Cup): 1st rd

He said: "It will take a huge amount of money, possibly 10bn Thai Baht (£180m), to get there. That doesn't put us off."

Srivaddhanaprabha added: "I am asking for three years, and we'll be there.

"We won't take the huge leap to challenge the league's top five clubs immediately.

"Do we have a chance to beat them? Yes, we have, but I think we need to establish our foothold in the league first and then we think about our next step.

Nigel Pearson's side collected 102 points on their way to landing the Championship title. And the manager share's his chairman's optimism.

"The important thing is we're going with a belief that we can achieve," he said after showing off the Championship trophy to fans in the Thai capital.

"It's important we continue to improve everything about ourselves. So, we can challenge for the top five. But, of course, one step at the time."

Leicester have qualified for Europe three times, most recently as the 2000 League Cup winners. They went out of the 2000-01 Uefa Cup in the first round, losing 4-2 on aggregate to Red Star Belgrade of Serbia.

Srivaddhanaprabha's consortium took over at Leicester in 2010.

The owners should complain, the BBC should not be penning stories where "2-3 years to establish in the premier league and then top 5 (no timeframe specified)" becomes "top 5 within 2-3 years." - absolutely terrible journalism and reduces the club to a laughing stock. If Stringer is responsible for this don't think he'll get within a mile of the KP ever again  lol

the actual quote basically says we want to stay up then after 3 years of that (hopefully with a bit of progression each year, a la southampton) we could be in a position to challenge for europe (a la southampton).

This. Sensationalised by the beeb.

If we stay up for 3 years we'll have received £180m in league money so it's not a ridiculous statement at all. I think people will realise were not going to be chucking money about when we conduct our summer business.

£180 million spread over 3 years on transfer fees, wages and agent fee's really won't be that much. Why is everybody crying about the fact we are showing some ambition?! The owners have done right by us so far and have earned our respect.

I didnt like that bbc interview. Made us sound deluded, I would say at least 6 years in the prem until europe could even be a possibility.

Every owner says the same thing. Except Burnley, they'll try to get into europe spending £5 then complain when they lose.

Hull are in Europe after 1, they'll attract better players because they'll have European competition to look forwards to, those better players will help to push the club on and in years to come they'll continue to get better and stay in Europe.

That's if it goes to plan of course.

We only have to look at where Southampton are now. They have had one of their best finishes for years but without investment from the board they are going to lose their Manager and two best players!

This should be massive encouragement for everyone at the football that we have the financial backing and ambition to push on in the Premier League in time!

Nothing but good news!

Archived