Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Vichai Has Big Plans.

I don't think anyone can confidently say what he meant from the quotes given. They certainly do not make it clear whether he wants us to be in the top 5 in 3 years or if he wants to start challenging in 3 years.

Rather than exclaiming sensationalism from journalists or cock waving from the owners why don't you just read the quotes, accept they may be ambiguous or lost in translation, and move on.

Another one who's hasn't read the article properly

I've read the article perfectly properly thanks.

And my points remain the same but I'll elaborate for you to help you out....

Firstly, it undermines the work that Pearson has done in shaking the big-spending tag - it's claiming that we will spend big in order to achieve this aim be that in three, four, five or six years. What about building towards that gradually with the young, hungry players that we have? An organic growth with subtle additions here and there so that we evolve into a bigger force? Saying that we're going to have to spend £180million, over whatever period of time, turns us back into 'big-spending Leicester' which is exactly what Pearson hasn't been since he returned (you know, the approach that actually worked).

Secondly, it puts unnecessary pressure on everyone at the club - so you're part of a club that's just been promoted with quite a few players who haven't played in The Premiership before. Wouldn't it be nice if you had the assurance that all that was expected of you next season was to give it a good go, that people had faith in your ability and wouldn't pressure you into specific targets or goals? Not a demand that you have to stay up and consolidate before pushing for this crazy target three years down the line. I for one would back us to keep Pearson even if we go down and have him bring us back up two years down the line, for us to be looking towards the top five from 2017/18 onwards makes this unlikely to happen.

And thirdly, it's completely unrealistic at this moment in time - so after our 3 years of consolidating and building, we then have enough money to spend to be better than one of Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool and Manchester City? The gulf is too big. Look at teams like Everton and Spurs who have spent the last decade building towards breaking that top 5 and still can't quite do it consistently. The gulf is too big and we should not be setting goals like this until we've established ourselves as a solid Premier League team (and that can take way more than three years).

I re-iterate. It's a crazy and unrealistic statement which smacks of not understanding just how difficult success in English football is.

Convinced this is nothing more than a throw away comment from the owner that has become matter of fact due to the way it has been translated and subsequently reported. Still enough to induce a few European-away day wet dreams though.

I've read the article perfectly properly thanks.

And my points remain the same but I'll elaborate for you to help you out....

Firstly, it undermines the work that Pearson has done in shaking the big-spending tag - it's claiming that we will spend big in order to achieve this aim be that in three, four, five or six years. What about building towards that gradually with the young, hungry players that we have? An organic growth with subtle additions here and there so that we evolve into a bigger force? Saying that we're going to have to spend £180million, over whatever period of time, turns us back into 'big-spending Leicester' which is exactly what Pearson hasn't been since he returned (you know, the approach that actually worked).

Secondly, it puts unnecessary pressure on everyone at the club - so you're part of a club that's just been promoted with quite a few players who haven't played in The Premiership before. Wouldn't it be nice if you had the assurance that all that was expected of you next season was to give it a good go, that people had faith in your ability and wouldn't pressure you into specific targets or goals? Not a demand that you have to stay up and consolidate before pushing for this crazy target three years down the line. I for one would back us to keep Pearson even if we go down and have him bring us back up two years down the line, for us to be looking towards the top five from 2017/18 onwards makes this unlikely to happen.

And thirdly, it's completely unrealistic at this moment in time - so after our 3 years of consolidating and building, we then have enough money to spend to be better than one of Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool and Manchester City? The gulf is too big. Look at teams like Everton and Spurs who have spent the last decade building towards breaking that top 5 and still can't quite do it consistently. The gulf is too big and we should not be setting goals like this until we've established ourselves as a solid Premier League team (and that can take way more than three years).

I re-iterate. It's a crazy and unrealistic statement which smacks of not understanding just how difficult success in English football is.

They haven't said they are going to spend that amount of money have ? They've said that money would be available to spend

It's called a business plan and every successful business will have such a plan, hence why king power duty free is doing so well

Do you think that NP is suddenly going to change his transfer policy?

It's called ambition and it's about time that this club had people at the helm willing to make us into competitive premier league team on a long term basis

I bet NP is chuffed that he's got such generous backing from his bosses as he is just as ambitious

I'm exited about the future of our club

There are probably a thousand reasons why we have been successful this season. The 'under-the-radar' approach is one of them but a small one at that. 

I think people are misunderstanding the aims and massively over-reacting to what's been said. It's likely opposition fans will want to see it in this sensationalised way but who cares what they think. It's great to see ambition. I wouldn't want us to go into next season pretending that 17th is what we are truly aiming for, when in reality we all know we have the potential for far better. 

People also need to understand the context of these interviews and quotes. The team are in Thailand, partly on holiday but also partly as a way of promoting the club. If you want to sell something to someone you don't do it half-heartedly. The owners have already said they want to build this team not only for themselves to be proud of but for the whole of Thailand to be proud of as well. What better way to get excitement over there than to say we want to establish ourselves and then challenge for the top 5 in the most exciting and well-known league in the world. It's just pure marketing sense. To go out there and say we are just hoping to survive relegation for the coming one or two seasons is like taking your product to a potential buyer and saying "Well at the moment our plan is to just make it work, then after that we're not too sure but we think we can improve little bits".

Also, the bit about bragging. In what way are they bragging? They've said it could take that amount of money to achieve the aims they want. They have in no way said it is all going to be spent now. They haven't even said it's all for transfer fees and wages. A fair amount of that will be on things like the youth development system, the facilities at the training ground, the stadium and so on. It's pretty naïve think no-one knows we have money to spend. It's been in the news that our owners have just bought a jet for $72 million, or something like that, for god's sake! Information is so accessible these days. Do you really think it will have taken until now for other clubs to know what they're up against in terms of financial power when they are bargaining with Leicester City? If they didn't know before now then that is really poor business, the owners are worth over a billion!

Sorry to pick you out by the way. This is more of a general rant, but the whole idea of "bragging" got me going  :P

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I’M OVER-REACTING????!!!

OK. Possibly a little. :)

My point though is that there are lots of clubs in the PL who have spent years trying to challenge the Top 5. He’s bragging that he’s gonna swan in and just do it in three seasons. No problem. Newcastle and Everton/Spurs obviously just don't know what they're doing, but Vichai will show them how they've been doing it wrong for years on end.

He’s just given countless PL bosses the meat of their motivational speech for when they play us next season: “This lot think they’re gonna be Top 5. Let’s send those upstarts back down where they belongâ€.

Oh, and get ready for the “Champions League, you’re having a laugh†chants too.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I’M OVER-REACTING????!!!

OK. Possibly a little. :)

My point though is that there are lots of clubs in the PL who have spent years trying to challenge the Top 5. He’s bragging that he’s gonna swan in and just do it in three seasons. No problem. Newcastle and Everton/Spurs obviously just don't know what they're doing, but Vichai will show them how they've been doing it wrong for years on end.

He’s just given countless PL bosses the meat of their motivational speech for when they play us next season: “This lot think they’re gonna be Top 5. Let’s send those upstarts back down where they belongâ€.

Oh, and get ready for the “Champions League, you’re having a laugh†chants too.

It's a business plan and he's not saying we are going to be in the top 5, he's saying that he's hoping that we will be challenging

Don't we all hope that we will be challenging in 3 years time?

Guest MattP

Just hope it's a comment that has been blown out of proportion.

This season was the first one we didn't didn't raise expectations or make bold statements of intent about what we are going to do, it's a very wise road to stay on.

It's a business plan and he's not saying we are going to be in the top 5, he's saying that he's hoping that we will be challenging

Don't we all hope that we will be challenging in 3 years time?

We do. But what do you think all the other clubs in the Premiership are trying to do?!

According to Vichai, they're either happy being mediocre Prem teams - or they are ballsing it up season after season.

Either way, if I were a fan of any other team in the Prem (Southampton/West Ham for eg)  i'd now love to see LCFC hammered when they played my team.

This season was the first one we didn't didn't raise expectations or make bold statements of intent about what we are going to do, it's a very wise road to stay on.

This.

This is a more articulate version of what I'm trying to say, and minus the cock-waving.

"My goal is for Leicester to stay in the Premier League as long as possible. We should be able to stay there for at least two or three years and then my next goal will be taking the team to the top five... It will be a difficult task but we have to try to do it.â€

A perfectly reasonable business plan. Not sure how anyone can dispute this

Me either. :dunno::huh:

Erm. His exact quote was:

"It will take a huge amount of money, possibly 10bn Thai Baht (£180m), to get there. That doesn't put us off. I am asking for three years, and we'll be there."

Nothing about "a few years of consolidation and then looking to challenge top 5". He clearly says he will spend £180 and within three years expects us to be top 5. 

If somebody's level of comprehension skills (sic) are in doubt then they are yours, chump.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sports/409485/leicester-city-desperate-to-capitalise

“My goal is for Leicester to stay in the Premier League as long as possible. We should be able to stay there for at least two or three years and then my next goal will be taking the team to the top five...

Please credit and share this article with others using this link:http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sports/409485/leicester-city-desperate-to-capitalise.

Pretty clear to me. :unsure:

"My goal is for Leicester to stay in the Premier League as long as possible. We should be able to stay there for at least two or three years and then my next goal will be taking the team to the top five... It will be a difficult task but we have to try to do it.â€

The aim for this season is to stay in the Premier League. Hardly say that was making a "bold" statement of "raising expectations". In 3 years if we have hit our aim of survival 3 seasons in a row we will build on that. Perfectly sensible and reasonable. Then we have to aim for top 5 so we don't stagnate and become a Fulham/Wigan etc before they went down whereby we aim for 17th each season and eventually don't reach it. After a few years we will spend more money, like Stoke, who I believe have spent over one hundred million since they went up and they've now finished top half, rarely been threatened by relegation and had a season in Europe. It's all achievable and imo good to aim for. 

I'm just pleased that the people running our club have real ambition to make us into a competitive premier league club instead of putting up with years of mediocrity

Quite.

I like the idea but top 5 seems beyond our reach to me. I just don't think we'll ever be able to strengthen enough to push ourselves up to those heights.

Problem is, if you get close the vultures will swoop in and steal your best players and your manager. Unless you want to spend billions then it's almost impossible to do it.

I like the idea but top 5 seems beyond our reach to me. I just don't think we'll ever be able to strengthen enough to push ourselves up to those heights.

Everton have done it, and they've gone about it the right way too. Spent the last few years building, slowly adding quality through the team and now, with Martinez, they've cracked it.

That's the way I'd like us to do it, hopefully all with Nigel Pearson in charge too.

Everton have done it, and they've gone about it the right way too. Spent the last few years building, slowly adding quality through the team and now, with Martinez, they've cracked it.

That's the way I'd like us to do it, hopefully all with Nigel Pearson in charge too.

Everton are quite a bit bigger than us though. We'd have to increase our stature quite substantially to hold our position up there. As Babs said, players will just leave if they don't think we'll stay afloat.

I don't say it's impossible but it's right on the boundaries of possibility for me.

Everton are quite a bit bigger than us though. We'd have to increase our stature quite substantially to hold our position up there. As Babs said, players will just leave if they don't think we'll stay afloat.

I don't say it's impossible but it's right on the boundaries of possibility for me.

I don't think they're too dissimilar to us, and I don't think the stature of their club has much to do with how they've gone about building for the top 5 over the past few years. They've had a relatively low budget, had to spend very wisely and sell their better players to balance the books on occasion. It's not like the players they've gone for have been household names either, so their reputation as a club wouldn't have that much bearing on whether players signed for them - it was more the fact that the managerial and scouting set up were able to spot unknown talent and bring it in.

I think we're well placed to push on from promotion - I don't expect anything amazing from our first or perhaps even second season, but I think we can stay up and establish ourselves, and once we've done that, we know we've got the resources available to push on.

I've not been so excited to be a City fan in years - I thoroughly believe we've got the right board, the right man in charge and the right men behind him to do something really special here.

Archived