Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Vichai Has Big Plans.

It seems to me that many posters have no ambition, and would be happy for us to be at the lower end of the Premiership, for the length of time we remain there. Either that, or they have little faith in Pearson, to take us to a higher level, given the resources.

Having ambition is what it takes to achieve a target. Obviously, we should all want the club to do as well as possible in the league, with or without Pearson. The club is bigger than the individual.

I myself believe that Pearson can achieve the ambitious target.

Everton have done it, and they've gone about it the right way too. Spent the last few years building, slowly adding quality through the team and now, with Martinez, they've cracked it.

That's the way I'd like us to do it, hopefully all with Nigel Pearson in charge too.

Everton have been in the top flight for over 100 years, and have just managed to scrape into the top 5 because of Manchester United's bad season.

But we're gonna do it in three. It's easy.

I saw this earlier today on the BBC sport website and was really pleased.

It shows ambition and what's wrong with that - I can't believe so many posters on here are taking a negative view on this.

What's wrong with aiming high when you have the cash to back it up? 

:fc:  :fc:  :fc:  :fc:  :fc:  :fc:  :fc:  

It shows ambition and what's wrong with that - I can't believe so many posters on here are taking a negative view on this.

Talk is cheap.

Guest MattP

sven-goran-eriksso_1447009c.jpg

Guest MattP

redknapp_280x390_909268a.jpg

I think it's pretty naive of Top to let out that kind of information into the media.

I admire his ambition and I think he'd be putting his money in a more sensible place with us no longer being managed by someone who doesn't give a shit.

I just hope they make sensible decisions and don't pressurise Pearson into spending more than he sees fit.

I like the idea but top 5 seems beyond our reach to me. I just don't think we'll ever be able to strengthen enough to push ourselves up to those heights.

You say that but the year we were relegated from the Premier League the teams that finished in 17th, 16th and 14th were Everton, Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur respectively. In the 10 seasons we've been out of the league all 3 of them have established themselves at top 6 teams. In fact Everton finished 4th the next season which shows just how quickly a teams fortunes can turn around. 

It'll be tough, and as everyone with a sensible head knows, we need to ensure that we maintain our Premier League status for the first couple of years but after that there's nothing to say we can't become a consistent top 6/7 club with the right investment and management. 

how rich are our owners? man city went from league 1 to champions league in not much more than 10 years but they've proven you need billions, not millions to do it. 

Guest MattP

how rich are our owners? man city went from league 1 to champions league in not much more than 10 years but they've proven you need billions, not millions to do it. 

They have got lucky as well as they wouldn't have been allowed to do what they did under FFP if they were just starting now anyway.

We certainly won't be allowed to spend 300million even if we wanted too.

So in other words, you agree top 5 is probably too ambitious?

No, it's a big ask from the club and after consolidating we need to break into the top 6/7 clubs before putting it up a notch to get into to the top 5. The key to the top 5 may well be an FA/League cup win as that'll bring Europe with it and therefore make the club a more appealing prospect. Just look at Bony going to Swansea. 

I admire his optimism and ambition. Many people act as if it's a completely ludicrous suggestion. It's not. What's the point in playing if people are not allowed to contemplate the idea of becoming the best?

Everton have been in the top flight for over 100 years, and have just managed to scrape into the top 5 because of Manchester United's bad season.

But we're gonna do it in three. It's easy.

No-one's said we're going to do it in three, not even the chairman - despite what you think. It's obvious we want to spend the next three years consolidating before pressing onwards. What exactly is wrong with that? Do you not think Everton's model is a good one to follow?

There's no need to bolden parts of your post either, I can read perfectly well.

It seems to me that many posters have no ambition, and would be happy for us to be at the lower end of the Premiership, for the length of time we remain there. Either that, or they have little faith in Pearson, to take us to a higher level, given the resources.

Having ambition is what it takes to achieve a target. Obviously, we should all want the club to do as well as possible in the league, with or without Pearson. The club is bigger than the individual.

I myself believe that Pearson can achieve the ambitious target.

Those who are saying a top 5 is a tough ask are not being unambitious, they're being realistic. You can't really say that those who make this point would be happy to finish lower mid table either. There's a pretty large middle ground between those two options.

Let me tell you what I'm hoping for - regular top 10 finishes and the occasional trophy. I don't consider this to be a target that lacks ambition personally.

They're billionaires - Forbes have them at a net worth of $1.5bn: http://www.forbes.com/profile/vichai-srivaddhanaprabha/

That's nothing compared to what Man City's owners have available to them though is it?

They've apparently invested more than a billion pounds into Man City, our owners aren't going to want to invest two thirds of their net worth (if those figures are accurate) into what is really just a side project.

Build slowly, trust Nigel Pearson and we can easily look at finishing behind Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham & Man City, but ever breaking into that top 6 without someone who is ridiculously wealthy funding it is pretty unrealistic.

"My goal is for Leicester to stay in the Premier League as long as possible. We should be able to stay there for at least two or three years and then my next goal will be taking the team to the top five... It will be a difficult task but we have to try to do it.â€

A perfectly reasonable business plan. Not sure how anyone can dispute this

where in the article did he said that?

Archived