Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sly1

wifi

Guest Kopfkino

Why the **** do you need wifi at the football? You don't turn up at the theatre and sit playing on your phone for half the play

Guest MarshallForEngland

There is already wifi at the ground. It's supposed to be free but it is password protected and I have never managed to find out the password, even when I did some work there. 

Categorical no as it will encourage people to just sit there tweeting rather than actually contributing to the atmosphere - not that it doesn't happen in a lot of cases already.

Is this tongue-in-cheek? If so, it's quite funny. If not, it's pretty sad.

Seems like a rather costly endeavour for something that will only be used for a couple of hours 19 times or more a year. I remember reading a similar thread on here where someone calculated the cost of providing such a system capable of servicing potentially 32,000 (though realistically much less) people and they were eye-wateringly huge.

I'm not against the idea; I think it was the Boro game last season (the one that was delayed due to the snow) where we had a goal contentiously disallowed and the chap next to me and me dad brought up the match on the Sky app on his iPhone on 4G to see the replay as it was a minute or so behind (it was never offside by the way). I remember thinking that it would be pretty cool to have access to in-game replays and/or other content like the matchday programme available over wi-fi for a reasonable price (which of course would be ludicrously over-priced).

Access should still be restricted during game time cos the idea of people not paying attention to a game that is happening right in front of them that they've paid for is entirely depressing, though I still see it happening any way.

It wouldnt work anyway, imagine 1000 people all connecting to the same wifi/internet connection? they'd have to invest in a HUGE connection to make it even usable and that's if only 1000 people use it.

Why do you want to use wifi at the football? :o

It wouldnt work anyway, imagine 1000 people all connecting to the same wifi/internet connection? they'd have to invest in a HUGE connection to make it even usable and that's if only 1000 people use it.

Why do you want to use wifi at the football? :o

lol how do you think massive hotels and conference centres do it? There wouldn't just be 1 BT router lol

Yeah I reckon they should have wifi, in 1 section of the ground so all the numpties that sit there on their phones all game instead of supporting the team can all sit together.

No need for WIFI IMO. Having had to endure 2 chavvy teenage girls (and occasionally their mum) sitting in front of me at the Brighton game spending the WHOLE 90+ mins on their mobile phones, either texting, facebooking, twittering, taking selfies or MASSIVELY, and most annoyingly for me, the people behind me, not to mention the guys at the side and in front of them, switching their camera flashes on and waving their phones side to side at a friend in the far opposite side of the ground, just so he waved back with his flash. EVERY 2-3 minutes!!!

I have no idea why they were even at the game. Why pay all that dosh to COMPLETELY ignore the game and just sit there doing that? The only time they looked up was when waving the brightly lit mobiles in the air then saying, "There he is" when he waved his back and giggling which just encouraged more waving. Then they would exchange texts with him. FVCK OFF!

Rant Over. I feel better now!

The overriding problem is that a large amount of people are incapable of leaving their phones alone for longer than 30 seconds.

I read about a girl who went for an interview recently and during the interview her phone vibrated or beeped or something and she became distracted. She then said to the interviewer "I need to check that - it's a facebook update and I won't be able to concentrate until I have".

Wifi at the ground is a definite no no - invest the money in improving the catering and the toilets instead!

And leave your bloody phones alone during the game - nobheads!

Guest MarshallForEngland

They already have wifi. 

Really don't understand the concerns of some people to be honest, some of you seem to invent this archetypal annoying fan who doesn't watch the game, gets the players' names wrong and leaves after 70 minutes etc (after booing). Thousands of people already have smart phones and other devices with constant internet access that doesn't require wifi at the ground. I've seen aged ST holders who have been coming for decades take several minutes to type out a text to their mate after a goal. All of you saying that wifi access would mean everyone not watching the game, you have literally no evidence that this is true and lots of evidence to say that it is not true. Thousands of people already have internet access at football games.

They already have wifi.

Really don't understand the concerns of some people to be honest, some of you seem to invent this archetypal annoying fan who doesn't watch the game, gets the players' names wrong and leaves after 70 minutes etc (after booing). Thousands of people already have smart phones and other devices with constant internet access that doesn't require wifi at the ground. I've seen aged ST holders who have been coming for decades take several minutes to type out a text to their mate after a goal. All of you saying that wifi access would mean everyone not watching the game, you have literally no evidence that this is true and lots of evidence to say that it is not true. Thousands of people already have internet access at football games.

No one has an issue with typing the odd text. I'm sure we've all done it.

I don't really care if someone sits there all game playing with their phone - it's up to them, but seems like a pointless exercise - you wouldn't go to the cinema and sit on your phone all night.

As you say, many already have internet access. My point is that there is no need for the club to invest money in this - there are more important things they could be doing to improve the "customer experience"

Interesting thread. It probably wont be too long before wifi is ubiquitous anyway, not just at footy games but where ever you are.

Gillette Soccer Saturday on the back of seats won't need to happen. Google glass will allow you to watch the game live but with Sky Sports in one little corner of your glasses.

You'll also be able to get little tags hovering over the players giving you their names and current game stats.

You're there to watch football.

You don't need the internet for 2 hours. I'm sure you can live with that. Half-time scores and full-time scores get announced at those times. You don't need to check Twitter during the match. You don't need to check Facebook during the match.

I see no reason to have free wi-fi at the ground. It detracts attention away from the football. It disappoints me when I see fans checking scores of other matches whilst at the KP. If you're so interested in another teams' score, go watch that match.

I must confess to checking scores late in the game if we're winning comfortably. I know I'm not entirely guiltless but I can sort of forgive myself for it since I'm checking stuff that relates to the football.

lol, the halo is slipping ;)

I rarely even bring my phone to games. Can safely say I've never checked the wifi at football and I don't see why you would want to. Why not just watch the football.

A mate of mine missed Nugent's winner at Leeds because he was loading up BBC sport for the full times - muppet.

Archived