Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sly1

wifi

I need wifi to be able to access comedy gold like this post of yours.

I assumed the absurdity of that statement would make its jovial nature obvious, but your humourless response expressed distaste at people "living their lives" through the internet. Nobody is making an argument that "living your life" on the internet (whatever that means) is a good idea. It's very easy to argue against points that nobody else has made, but test yourself a bit more by making a case against things people have actually argued in favour of.

My argument is that if you can't spend two hours at a football match without getting wound up by a lack of internet access then you probably need to get out more.

But you've managed to force it out of me, my greatest concern is actually about the prospect of technology one day overawing mankind. I personally believe the advent of free wifi at a football ground in Leicester would be the primary catalyst to this happening, leading to a dystopian future as predicted in the following video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1BdQcJ2ZYY

Anyway, I've got some serious loom smashing to do. In a bit.

Would be interested to know how many people opposed to wifi at the ground are under 40 years old.

I'm 22 and love technology but at a football match? I ain't interested. The only thing I'm interested in is the match and, at half time, other scores which the club provides.

Comedy gold again. Yes, after all the internet is neither the product nor the facilitator of human interaction is it. All those accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Foxestalk etc, they're not really created and maintained by people are they? You sound like a proper Luddite mate.

Luddite,yeah ok.Technology ended for me after the film Tron,but you carry on it must be very exciting for you.

Guest MarshallForEngland

"Call me a killjoy, but I think that because this is not to my taste, no one else should be able to enjoy it." - Marge Simpson

If they're going to have Wifi, why stop there.

Maybe they should put USB outlets in front of every seat because heaven forbid, imagine having super fast wifi but running out of battery. Then you may have to actually watch some of the game.

Talk about first world problems.

• 2 months later...

****in hell what an horrific idea- The exact reason I go on a sabbatical from here closed season, to avoid stupid threads like this.

I don't think people realise how widespread the problem is at our place. L block used to be awful for it. (I say used to as I couldn't fault it Saturday)

Does anyone really care about other scores/ their bets that much? It's not even like you knowing the scores could have any bearing on the result yet the one game you could influence by being vocal is the one you're paying no attention to.

Stupid.

It never ceases to amaze me the petty things people get worked up about. If you don't want WiFi don't use it, why worry about what others are doing?

Because I believe it's important to have a crowd that's engaged with what they're watching. Atmosphere and passion won't come if people are interested in other things - both of which enhance my experience.

The 'each to his own' idea might be a good rule to go by in day-to-day life but it doesn't work at all in football because it's very much a collective experience.

I did complain about not getting signal in the grinds me gears thread the other day, and I never check my phone during the game but I do want/try to use my phone before the game and a half time - I may aswell not bother and am slowly starting not to bother as I can never get any internet signal/usage despite it saying i'm on 3G anyway.

Whilst I agree in principle with those PSV fans I think the impact will be negligible in Holland, Germany etc. Those that are that concerned about other scores, Twitter etc probably contribute about 5% of the atmosphere in their leagues.

It's a much bigger threat over here - way too many lads of a 'singing age' (not the best phrase, admittedly) spend way too much time on the internet. What happened to talking to people during breaks in play?

You can't tell people what to think or how to enjoy themselves. If they'd rather be looking at their phones then you won't change that by lecturing them or by banning WiFi.

We've already seen with Union FS that discussion along with a bit of pro-activity can change minds.

We've already seen with Union FS that discussion along with a bit of pro-activity can change minds.

No need to worry then, by the end of the season we'll have 32,000 spectators standing and singing "non-cringeworthy" songs.

Is it any worse or more of a problem than people reading their programmes before, during a pause in the game and at half time.

There's going to be fans down there who will never join in the singing or stand up during the game other than for a goal, always has been always will be.

4g works because there aren't that many using it at the moment.  There is a 3G 'black hole' in the stadium due to the number of users.  It will probably happen with 4G eventually.

Some clubs have installed wifi:  Real Madrid, Celtic, Bayern Munich I believe.  The business case works when there are apps to 'enhance the spectator experience' e.g. betting, replays, ordering half time refreshments (at least that might stop the 40th minute walk out wvnkers!).  Yes the ground would need a big internet link but this can be done with fiber from BT or Virgin.  In fact the club may let someone like that install it and take revenue from the apps giving a kick-back to the club.

It is early days but it is technically possible to provide 'mass-wifi' in a stadium but it is difficult and not many companies can do it properly.

Archived