Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Gamescom 2014

So Microsoft have just had their press conference, Quantum Break looked fantastic, like really fantastic. Ori Tree a bit Raymanish, which is no bad thing, Forza Horizon 2 looks stunning and obviously the Master Chief Collection and Halo 5 are going to be big hits, and a few other gems but what really stood out for me was the announcement that the next Tomb Raider will be an Xbox exclusive. Not jumped in to next gen yet, though getting an ever increasing itch. This announcement isn't enough to sway me to get an X1 over a PS4 but it does raise the question on both MS's and Squares side, is it worth it, how many sales will they of miss out on due to this, have MS covered that expense? I guess yes. Will leave a bitter taste in a lot of Playstation owners mouths, no doubt. Sonys conference is on at 5pm this evening. Hoping to see some cool stuff from them. Touted Project Morpheus is going to be demonstrated on stage.

So Microsoft have just had their press conference, Quantum Break looked fantastic, like really fantastic. Ori Tree a bit Raymanish, which is no bad thing, Forza Horizon 2 looks stunning and obviously the Master Chief Collection and Halo 5 are going to be big hits, and a few other gems but what really stood out for me was the announcement that the next Tomb Raider will be an Xbox exclusive. Not jumped in to next gen yet, though getting an ever increasing itch. This announcement isn't enough to sway me to get an X1 over a PS4 but it does raise the question on both MS's and Squares side, is it worth it, how many sales will they of miss out on due to this, have MS covered that expense? I guess yes. Will leave a bitter taste in a lot of Playstation owners mouths, no doubt. Sonys conference is on at 5pm this evening. Hoping to see some cool stuff from them. Touted Project Morpheus is going to be demonstrated on stage.

I'm sure LiB will find someway to slag that conference off though. 

The Xbone's got the better games and is going to have the better games for the feasible future by the looks of it, the only Playstation 4 exclusive coming out this winter in Driveclub which could well be totally eclipsed in quality by Forza Horizon 2 anyway, which for a console that is now a year old and has a chronic lack of exclusive content is pretty shit. 

I saw one running again the other day, it looks nice, but just so far away from a marked improvement on the PS3 to justify £300 it's unreal. 

The Xbone's got the better games and is going to have the better games for the feasible future by the looks of it, the only Playstation 4 exclusive coming out this winter in Driveclub which could well be totally eclipsed in quality by Forza Horizon 2 anyway, which for a console that is now a year old and has a chronic lack of exclusive content is pretty shit. 

I saw one running again the other day, it looks nice, but just so far away from a marked improvement on the PS3 to justify £300 it's unreal. 

tbf......both consoles arent worth getting atm.....better to get them say Jan 2015 on wards...more games better value.

werent a bad conference tbh....worrying sign for Square Enix though doing that with Tomb Raider given how poorly it sold on the XBox platform(reboot I mean)

going by what been said etc at the min too re the new Tomb Raider....sounds more and more like a TIMED exclusive. 

Rumour is a timed exclusive. Would be crazy to restrict the game to xbone.

The more I hear about drive club the less I like, im a racer fan and even gt7 is rumoured to use last gen car models, I might trade for a xbone in the future if thats the case. Will be a shame to miss naughty dogs games but thats all I will miss. The indie game avalanche is pissi g me off. Real games please sony.

Time for some banter!

I haven't followed this Gamescom sideshow at all up until I saw this "shock announcement" regarding Tomb Raider. This is all becoming rather desperate for Microsoft and their flagging black box. It's akin to 'Arry and his transfer dealings, throw a load of money at it and keep your fingers crossed that it all works out in the end.

As for Square, they need the cash - they're only just turning a profit and no doubt this significant cash injection from Microsoft will do them quite nicely. Money talks, but screw the fanbase. Square side with a company whose hardware is outsold 3 to 1, whose current Definitive Edition was outsold 3 to 1, and whose previous installment, despite being available to the masses on any platform going, still didn't achieve anywhere near target figures. That makes perfectly no sense whatsoever.

But then you look at the competition and it begins to make sense. UC4 will undoubtedly do better at the end of next year and Tomb Raider releasing at the same time will suffer for it. The last one did when up against Bioshock, although it was the better game imo. Microsoft needs to shift units at a faster rate. Cue Christmas time and the lure of TR only on Xbone.

Trouble is I don't think it will be a big enough lure. Titanfall wasn't, why should a title that didn't shift last time round fare better this time to a restricted fanbase?

lol no doubt the definitive edition will come to ps4 in 2016.

As for Gamescom itself, Microsoft is playing catchup so by concentrating solely on their big games they're finally putting together stuff they should have showcased ages ago. Sony don't need to, I wouldn't expect them to, 3 to 1 and all that goes with it. No huge exclusives this year? So what, I knew this back in Feb. I'm happy to wait. The Last of Us Remastered is none too shabby.

Currently own a PS4 but yet to see any exclusive titles for either console which really interest me.

Unfortunately I have to disagree with the OP about Quantum Break. When it was first announced Xbox labelled it as a game which would 'change the laws of what we can do in games' and from the trailer itself it clearly doesn't. All the time-travelling mechanics are uncontrollable according to the voice over guy, and the story is clearly linear looking much like a combination of watchdogs and Infamous.

None of the exclusives of either console interest me, despite there being a lot more than people realise.

PS4 are releasing a new Infamous, Littlebigplanet etc whilst Xbox re-releasing old Halo games really does not interest me.

For once, it is nice to see the multi-plats actually leading the way. Whether you like Call of Duty or not, there is no doubt that the new Call of Duty Advanced Warfare is finally taking risks and changing. It no longer looks like an expansion pack.

Fifa 15, despite a lack of gameplay will continue to thrive, especially for fans of clubs within the premier league given the release of all grounds.

I think it is fair to say though, the most interesting announcement of the night came from Sony. The most popular mod in gaming history, Dayz will be making its way to PS4. It may or may not be a PS4 exclusive, but given the Dayz standalone creator's trouble with Microsoft in the past it could very well be.

Tomb Raider as a Xbone exclusive is disappointing, but Dayz is a much much larger and more popular game.

Not sure why people judge games on trailers these days. 90% of the time it isn't representative of the final product in terms if graphic fidelity and the whole issue of vertical slices for gameplay demos. I have been burned far too many times to get hyped for particular games these days.

Time for some banter!

I haven't followed this Gamescom sideshow at all up until I saw this "shock announcement" regarding Tomb Raider. This is all becoming rather desperate for Microsoft and their flagging black box. It's akin to 'Arry and his transfer dealings, throw a load of money at it and keep your fingers crossed that it all works out in the end.

As for Square, they need the cash - they're only just turning a profit and no doubt this significant cash injection from Microsoft will do them quite nicely. Money talks, but screw the fanbase. Square side with a company whose hardware is outsold 3 to 1, whose current Definitive Edition was outsold 3 to 1, and whose previous installment, despite being available to the masses on any platform going, still didn't achieve anywhere near target figures. That makes perfectly no sense whatsoever.

But then you look at the competition and it begins to make sense. UC4 will undoubtedly do better at the end of next year and Tomb Raider releasing at the same time will suffer for it. The last one did when up against Bioshock, although it was the better game imo. Microsoft needs to shift units at a faster rate. Cue Christmas time and the lure of TR only on Xbone.

Trouble is I don't think it will be a big enough lure. Titanfall wasn't, why should a title that didn't shift last time round fare better this time to a restricted fanbase?

lol no doubt the definitive edition will come to ps4 in 2016.

As for Gamescom itself, Microsoft is playing catchup so by concentrating solely on their big games they're finally putting together stuff they should have showcased ages ago. Sony don't need to, I wouldn't expect them to, 3 to 1 and all that goes with it. No huge exclusives this year? So what, I knew this back in Feb. I'm happy to wait. The Last of Us Remastered is none too shabby.

Banter lol, it's just you talking utter nonsense about console sales's as always. While we're on the subject why is it everything is about sales to you? Your PlayStation isn't good just because a lot people have bought it.

People need to remember that Sony own 15 Development companies, These include Naughty Dog, Gorilla Games and Medium Molecule. 

Most of them are developing exclusive games that haven't been announced yet. if you include these to the third party games coming to both consoles. Sony have a very strong line up.

The only reason Microsoft have all these "exclusives" is because they're chucking money at people to catch up! Plus these "exclusives" aren't exclusives at all, they're timed exclusives, which means most of them will make it's way to Playstaion anyway. 

I have no issue with Xbox, without the competition, Sony would become complacent and screw everything up.  

Banter lol, it's just you talking utter nonsense about console sales's as always. While we're on the subject why is it everything is about sales to you? Your PlayStation isn't good just because a lot people have bought it.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/187371-ps4-outselling-the-xbox-one-3-to-1-as-total-sales-gap-grows-to-9-million-vs-5-million

One of many articles quoting sales figures - it's not nonsense it's there plain and simple to understand.

Anyway, that's enough about sales, this thread will turn into a Phube-like graphical representation of the figures otherwise.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/187371-ps4-outselling-the-xbox-one-3-to-1-as-total-sales-gap-grows-to-9-million-vs-5-million

One of many articles quoting sales figures - it's not nonsense it's there plain and simple to understand.

Anyway, that's enough about sales, this thread will turn into a Phube-like graphical representation of the figures otherwise.

You haven't just used facts you have written things that are clearly your opinion that are obviously nonsense. The fact the One is flagging being one for example, it's being out sold, it's still shifting more than enough units to be sustainable.

Wow, what a great fanboy you are. In fairness, that article is really good because its says 3 to 1 for PS4 against Xbox One, and then quotes 9 million to 5 million. Those Xbox figures are completely wrong as well. If you're going to include the sales of all systems then Sony has a huge advantage as it owns many more systems than Xbox. The figures quoted are what Sony has said, so again, obviously going to be wrong and biased. Funny how they pick a specific time frame as even if you make it PS3/4 v 360/1 all-times sales, then Microsoft will have sold 10 of millions more and made 100's of millions more.

Facts are that PS4 is the more powerful and better value just for games.

Xbox One offers a better multimedia experience, has a stronger online infastructure/community and is more aggressive in securing exclusive partners.

It totally depends on what you want. Not much to choose between them and at this stage in the product cycle, they're fairly expensive for the content available.

Wow, what a great fanboy you are. In fairness, that article is really good because its says 3 to 1 for PS4 against Xbox One, and then quotes 9 million to 5 million. Those Xbox figures are completely wrong as well. If you're going to include the sales of all systems then Sony has a huge advantage as it owns many more systems than Xbox. The figures quoted are what Sony has said, so again, obviously going to be wrong and biased. Funny how they pick a specific time frame as even if you make it PS3/4 v 360/1 all-times sales, then Microsoft will have sold 10 of millions more and made 100's of millions more.

Xbox One offers a better multimedia experience, has a stronger online infastructure/community and is more aggressive in securing exclusive partners.

It totally depends on what you want. Not much to choose between them and at this stage in the product cycle, they're fairly expensive for the content available.

Exactly, don't get why certain people have to slag off the other console they don't own.

I've got a Xbox One because of the games on it, I prefer them over the Sony exclusives.

The PS4 may be more powerful and at the moment use 1080p graphics better than the One, but what's the point in that if I don't enjoy Sony games? Be happy with what you've got and stop slagging off the other brand (not aimed at you dmayne7)

I've never understood fanboyism over consoles. Last generation I had a '360, this time round I'm probably going for the Playstation (since I want it for games rather than media) but I also have a Wii U aswell, which offers me something different. I think people are possibly a little insecure with their choice that they feel constantly compelled to justify it.

I'm not "a fanboy", I'm just stating facts.

Here they are again from a different source:

http://www.ibtimes.com/ps4-vs-xbox-one-sony-crushing-microsoft-console-wars-3-1-1644852

The 3 to 1 ratio reflects the sales in the last quarter, not referring to the overall sales which are roughly 2:1 to date.

I'm not really bothered either way.  Can we all just move on?

Archived