Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

To root, or not to root, that is...

Well, following my unpleasant experience with my chinese "Doogee" phone, i got a partial refund and then ordered (again through Aliexpress) a refurbished S3.

That arrived after about 3 weeks and all is good with it, seems legit and works well... EXCEPT... it wont let me update to 4.2 Jellybean (its currently running 4.1.1)

So i thought to myself.. its time i got onto the rooting bandwagon and took a chance, given that that might help in sorting the updating also.

Does anyone know much about rooting ( line up boys) and can give me a tip or two?

Yeah did it with my s3(got a G2 now), the first reason i did it was because like you i got a refurbished handset which was locked to a carrier, so rooting it obviously unlocks it. As you said i was also running a rom on it which gives u the latest software and loads of tweaks. I used the blackbox rom but i think the best nowadays are paranoid android and cyanogenmod.

Archived