Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The People's Hero

Computer Advice

depends entirely on what you do with your computer.

Agree with this, if it's just for day to day stuff like iTunes, YouTube and Facebook than really no need to upgrade... just get yourself a decent sized SSD. 256GB should be enough.

If your using it for more demanding programs and games than let us know what your CPU and GPU is and could advise best.

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice so far.

Since hard drive went kaput I've resolved that with a traditional sort of 3tb drive for media stuff, and a 128gb extremeII SSD (seriously quick), which is home to OS and a few bits of software.

I'm actually considering a complete rebuild, but one thing I can't get my head around is mixing RAM. There are too many variables ie voltages, latencies, speeds etc etc. Current is DDR3, 1600mhz, XMS3 CL9, 4 sticks of 2gb. 

I'm going to post up what I have, and if you could let me know what's likely the weak point here, ie motherboard/processor or RAM (i suspect one of the two), that would be great.

Orignal spec (3.5 years ago)

CPU: NEW! Intel Core i5 2500K                         
          Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home    
          Premium 64-bit
          Motherboard: NEW! Asus P8P67 LE                    
          Memory: 8.0GB Corsair DDR3 1600mhz XMS3 CL9 (4x     Included
          2GB)
          Hard Drives: 1.5TB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s                    
          Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA                 
          Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB         
          Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio                       
          Internet: Wireless 802.11N 300Mbps MIMO PCI card      
          Case: Xigmatek Asgard                              
          PSU: NEW!  500W Xigmatek                            
          Warranty: 3 Year Bronze Warranty                    

REPLACED:

Graphics card - now running: 
ASUS Radeon R9 280 DirectCU II TOP OC 3GB GDDR5 

Hard Drive - 3tb

+ SSD for OS

I appreciate the power unit could do with upgrading.

I use the system for gaming, photo-editing, movie-editing, quite a bit of work (non-demanding) - but it gets a lot of use.

A real massive weakpoint is my screen, which was partly a size constraint, now solved. If anyone can recommend a really decent monitor, which is not big money, that would be great.

Since I'm looking at doing this incrementally and have been pushed to do the drives, I'm essentially sat in front of a 'clean slate'.

I've only not upgraded bits recently cos I couldn't be arsed, but now seems a good time to bite the bullet. 

Any suggestions...

What would you be doing if you were a keen gamer and it was your PC?

Should add - I quite like the case, so I reckon I'm looking at:

Definite:

Motherboard + Processor bundle.

Monitor

Power Unit, min 750.

(My concern is that something is restricting the graphics card, ie RAM/processor bottlenecking performance?)

Possible:

RAM

Some more cooling?

TBH I have the same processor as you with less RAM, on games you don't typically use the CPU to capacity unless your playing an intense game (ala Day Z), but still your GPU is a bit of a monster so that should drag a good framerate. Your set-up is still perfectly fine and probably good for another couple of years, would probably say your PSU could do with upgrading but it's not the be all and end all.

What games are you playing and what framerate do you typically get? If it is Day Z I can assure you no-one gets good framerate on that :) My GPU is Asus GTX 770 Nvidia GeForce DirectCU II OC 2GB GDDR5 and I can play any game on max settings with no problem. 

Monitor wise there is no point in getting a 4k unless your thinking of upgrading your GPU anytime soon, you could future proof and get one and you will notice a difference but for now you could just get something cheaper. I've got a previous version to this monitor and it's been perfect for me http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S22D300HY-21-5-inch-Monitor/dp/product-description/B00J59YC2Y/ref=dp_proddesc_0?ie=UTF8&n=340831031&s=computers

Archived