Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

39 minutes ago, MonmoreStef said:

I know a lad who’s mum lives close to Notts Forest ground. He reckons she’s had the same blokes park on her drive, which is huge apparently, dozens of times. Doesn’t actually affect her but wow it’s so wrong. The first time it happened her other son went out and three lads were getting out. One of them basically said we know where u live and do u really want to make a scene. I should add this only happens when Forest are playing. 

I'll break my rule of not usually offering advice to citizens of Nottingham.

Tell her to put up a gate in front of her drive.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, String fellow said:

It's also illegal to clamp, tow away or block in a car parked without permission on a private drive. But the law on trespassing has been tightened slightly, so now, if the car remains occupied, that's encampment and legal action can be taken. So, if you want free parking, just find an empty drive and leave your car there!   

So those people going away for 2 weeks have no reason not to take advantage. As long as they arrive and leave the address whilst the householders are out. Might be tricky to avoid a confrontation. Even having said that, there are examples already given on here of people doing it.

Edited by Parafox

This fuel thing is getting beyond ridiculous. 

I need access to fuel for customers that have bought cars from me, especially brand new cars that come off a transporter with only fumes running the engine.

Morons panic buying, creating a problem that doesn't exist, are killing me.

First World problem for me though, even though it's stopping me from doing my job properly. I get shouted at, but it ain't the be all and end all.

Think of the on-call nurses, social workers, and other public workers that NEED fuel.

Throughout the day, the 5 sales people in my business have HAD to fuel cars.

Mad. The Tesco we always use had fuel at 10am. My colleague queued for 45 minutes, but got fuel. I went there an hour later...dry as a bone.

I tried 8 fuel stations in Northampton. Nothing. 

I gave up and saw a queue on the way back, joined it and got fuel!

I only wanted 20 quids worth. 

There were c**ts filling their cars and 5 Jerry cans. 

I'm not a violent man, but when it stops me doing my job...

Key workers should be prioritised, couriers included, then the motor trade.

Thank god I'm not at Amazon anymore, god knows what they're doing.

• Like 1

I don't know if you get this kind of driver in the UK (I don't remember them) but it's the one that only knows one speed. They'll trundle along at the same speed regardless of any towns or villages, indicated speeds, etc.

Had one this morning. An old fella (sunglasses on) in his old but clean Honda Accord, with twin spots no less. He probably thought he was the dog's danglies. Up my arse through every village (30mph limit) then I'd leave him once out of the 30, only for him to reappear again at the next village. And I mean right up my jacksie. I couldn't see the Honda 'H' badge, he was that close. I pulled over an let him go, it was just winding me up. I was having a good day until that twat decided to intervene. 

Now I'm not saint when it comes to speed limits - but only on the open road. Through towns etc, I do observe the posted limit as a maximum - there are occasions when obviously I'll be slower than the posted limit, if there's stuff happening etc. 

Got to get out and potter in the garden now, that always chills me out.

44 minutes ago, drumbeat said:

I don't know if you get this kind of driver in the UK (I don't remember them) but it's the one that only knows one speed. They'll trundle along at the same speed regardless of any towns or villages, indicated speeds, etc.

Had one this morning. An old fella (sunglasses on) in his old but clean Honda Accord, with twin spots no less. He probably thought he was the dog's danglies. Up my arse through every village (30mph limit) then I'd leave him once out of the 30, only for him to reappear again at the next village. And I mean right up my jacksie. I couldn't see the Honda 'H' badge, he was that close. I pulled over an let him go, it was just winding me up. I was having a good day until that twat decided to intervene. 

Now I'm not saint when it comes to speed limits - but only on the open road. Through towns etc, I do observe the posted limit as a maximum - there are occasions when obviously I'll be slower than the posted limit, if there's stuff happening etc. 

Certainly do get them here. I live in a village surrounded by national speed limit roads, the amount of times I get stuck behind people going along at 40 in the national limits and then continue at 40 through the villages is very weird.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drumbeat said:

An old fella (sunglasses on) in his old but clean Honda Accord

Forgot to mention, it crossed my mind that he used SP98 in his car and was trying to be economical, sitting at the same speed, to try and save money - using 'saving the planet' as some kind of justification for mowing down kids at the village school.

3 hours ago, drumbeat said:

2 hours ago, Kopic said:

Certainly do get them here. I live in a village surrounded by national speed limit roads, the amount of times I get stuck behind people going along at 40 in the national limits and then continue at 40 through the villages is very weird.

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

Yep, I had someone overtake me while I was doing 30 in a 30 and then when it turned into a 50 they did about 35mph lol It was really weird. 

This is something I've always associated with older drivers, saw a lot of it when I lived in Belgium and I suspect the only reason I see less of it now is because I'm doing less inter-village driving.

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

Yep, I had someone overtake me while I was doing 30 in a 30 and then when it turned into a 50 they did about 35mph lol It was really weird. 

I wish this bugger would have overtaken me. Jeez, he obviously wanted to! Probably too fearful to actually overtake though.

I don't want to say it's only older drivers but that's certainly my experience. They'll just sit at 70kph (40ish mph). I dunno, do they fear changing gear or something? Do they leave home, get up to speed, stick it top and then become fearful to go any faster... or brake... or change gear? 

On a touched on subject; overtaking. It's something (and, yes, I'm going to deal in generalisations here) your average French driver doesn't seem very good at. They'll close up right behind you, blocking their our vision of the road ahead, then play peek-a-boo with the oncoming traffic. Madness. And IF they overtake (and it's certainly not guaranteed, they can play peek-a-boo for miles, even when you've no overtaking lines), they'll then cut back in close in front of you. Maybe they're taught to stay out of the opposite carriageway for as little time as possible.... even if it's clear as far as you can see. I dunno but believe me when I say that it is a common occurrence. 

15 hours ago, tom27111 said:

This fuel thing is getting beyond ridiculous. 

I need access to fuel for customers that have bought cars from me, especially brand new cars that come off a transporter with only fumes running the engine.

Morons panic buying, creating a problem that doesn't exist, are killing me.

First World problem for me though, even though it's stopping me from doing my job properly. I get shouted at, but it ain't the be all and end all.

Think of the on-call nurses, social workers, and other public workers that NEED fuel.

Throughout the day, the 5 sales people in my business have HAD to fuel cars.

Mad. The Tesco we always use had fuel at 10am. My colleague queued for 45 minutes, but got fuel. I went there an hour later...dry as a bone.

I tried 8 fuel stations in Northampton. Nothing. 

I gave up and saw a queue on the way back, joined it and got fuel!

I only wanted 20 quids worth. 

There were c**ts filling their cars and 5 Jerry cans. 

I'm not a violent man, but when it stops me doing my job...

Key workers should be prioritised, couriers included, then the motor trade.

Thank god I'm not at Amazon anymore, god knows what they're doing.

I've temporarily stopped using my car completely, because of the fuel shortage. I'd be filled with feelings of guilt about contributing to the fuel crisis by the very act of visiting a petrol station. The problem now is that I'm rapidly running out of food! 

This was the other day, but I've only just remembered it.

At the start of the M69, with a completely clear motorway as far as the eye could see, the car in front moved into the middle lane from the inside lane when it went from 2 to 3 lanes. Always assumed that middle lane hoggers were just folk that had overtaken someone and then absent mindedly forgotten to move back again and were oblivious to what was going on around them. Never occurred to me it might be a conscious choice.  No idea what that's about

9 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

At the start of the M69, with a completely clear motorway as far as the eye could see, the car in front moved into the middle lane from the inside lane when it went from 2 to 3 lanes. Always assumed that middle lane hoggers were just folk that had overtaken someone and then absent mindedly forgotten to move back again and were oblivious to what was going on around them. Never occurred to me it might be a conscious choice.  No idea what that's about

You can test it by overtaking them in the 3rd lane then pulling into the 1st lane.  If they're being absent minded they'll follow your example, if they're being bloody minded they'll carry on regardless.  Either way I'd argue that they shouldn't be on the road.

3 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

It’s because it feels safe and you don’t have to make too many decisions,mostly.It’s also total ignorance.I see it everyday.

On 30/09/2021 at 11:16, drumbeat said:

Honda Accord,

I reckon I can tell the age, gender, skill and awareness of a driver by the type of car in front of me and the way it's being driven. I am about 80% accurate with those on their way to a garden centre.

The cars of choice for these people seem to be the Honda Accord or Jazz, any small Kia or Hyundai, Ford Ka,/Focus usually in a beige or some "gold" colour.

Seems they match their cars to the colour and style of their clothing. The only thing their cars don't have is an elasticated waistband.

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Raj said:

Getting a bloody screw on green lane rd through the tyre and giving me a puncture.

Suppose it was meant to be and all that, could have been worse.

This is why we sell tyre and alloy protection at a very reasonable price.

£299 for 3 years is actually good value if you're this unlucky a couple of times or ding your alloys a few times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had my speed awareness course this morning.

Almost wish I'd taken the points, absolute bag of shite.

The bloke was preaching that going 75 on a motorway doesn't get you anywhere quicker. It does.

It definitely does if you're cruising at 90.

Edited by tom27111

48 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

The bloke was preaching that going 75 on a motorway doesn't get you anywhere quicker. It does.

I remember that same speech. 

Granted, going 5 mph extra isn't going make more than a minute or two's difference, but yeah doing 90 will get you there much quicker. 

• Like 1

On 29/09/2021 at 11:27, MonmoreStef said:

I know a lad who’s mum lives close to Notts Forest ground. He reckons she’s had the same blokes park on her drive, which is huge apparently, dozens of times. Doesn’t actually affect her but wow it’s so wrong. The first time it happened her other son went out and three lads were getting out. One of them basically said we know where u live and do u really want to make a scene. I should add this only happens when Forest are playing. 

Can they not just park there or failing that, block the drive with some sort of obstacle? 

11 hours ago, tom27111 said:

What absolute rubbish from him. I've heard the same for the 30mph as the traffic lights are all timed or something  but the difference between 70 and 75 for me is about 20 minutes for my trip to the match!

Also the police wouldn't pull you as long as you're doing less than 90mph on the motorway, I know this as I was pulled over and the copper told me. That's not to say you wouldn't trigger those speed cameras on the M1 - even those I believe are set at 10% 77mph, but I would want to test that theory. 

Edited by Collymore
  • Like 1