Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

2 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

Please can we all try to drive as efficiently as possible until things calm down a bit.Sticking to 55/60mph really does make a difference.Ask ourselves if that car journey is really necessary.Use public transport or shock horror,walk.

Thanks Greta

My speed awareness course was a total waste of time mainly because of the guy leading it. He insisted on giving names to all the characters in particular scenarios like Johnny the Jogger, Sid the Cyclist and Motorbike Mick. He was about 50, skinny but with the most amazing beer gut I've ever seen, had a man bun and wore his tie far too short. Barely registered anything he said as I was too busy hating him.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

There’s no being Greta about it.It’s called common bleeding sense.Maybe you don’t realise how bad the situation is?

Not everyone has access to public transport though, or lives close enough to be able to walk everywhere do they? 

22 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

There’s no being Greta about it.It’s called common bleeding sense.Maybe you don’t realise how bad the situation is?

I commute to work on a bike as I'm lucky I only live a few miles away.

Have YOU tried cycling to work?

Tge roads are atrocious, drivers are stupid and have no respect for cyclists.

When and ONLY when any government  restructured the Infrastructure  of our transport system people driving habits will change.

Public transport is abysmal in this city.

With our current Mayor in charge this issue will never get better.

I like your thinking and was just taking the p1ss.

6 hours ago, Collymore said:

What absolute rubbish from him. I've heard the same for the 30mph as the traffic lights are all timed or something  but the difference between 70 and 75 for me is about 20 minutes for my trip to the match!

Also the police wouldn't pull you as long as you're doing less than 90mph on the motorway, I know this as I was pulled over and the copper told me. That's not to say you wouldn't trigger those speed cameras on the M1 - even those I believe are set at 10% 77mph, but I would want to test that theory. 

Speeding isn't such an issue on motorways.  Below 80, I can't imagine anyone getting pulled.  Above 80 and it starts to become more about the manner of your driving - what's the weather conditions like, how much traffic is on the road, how close are you getting to the car in front etc.

Speeding through built up areas is another matter.  The damage your vehicle does to another human being when striking them at 40mph instead of 30mph is devastating.  Hit someone at 30, they'll probably survive and in any legal proceedings at least you'll be able to say you were within the speed limit.  Hit them at 40, they are likely to die or suffer life-changing injuries.  Entirely preventable if you observed the speed limit.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Not everyone has access to public transport though, or lives close enough to be able to walk everywhere do they? 

16 minutes ago, Raj said:

I commute to work on a bike as I'm lucky I only live a few miles away.

Have YOU tried cycling to work?

Tge roads are atrocious, drivers are stupid and have no respect for cyclists.

When and ONLY when any government  restructured the Infrastructure  of our transport system people driving habits will change.

Public transport is abysmal in this city.

With our current Mayor in charge this issue will never get better.

I like your thinking and was just taking the p1ss.

Greta lol the girl gives me the creeps.I’m not talking long term here.Just a week.Or until things are straighted out a bit.If you don’t need to drive,don’t drive.Put unnecessary journeys off.No digs at you two btw.I think Debs lives in Spain now anyway,so not her problem.

I Took the dog for a long walk this morning.The roads are still busy.I’ve been driving at 55/60 since Monday through nescessity rather than because I’m an eco warrior.Most are still flying about regardless.While we continue to drive more than they can refill the pumps it’s never going to catch-up.Something will have to give.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I went on a Speed Awareness Course a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. 
I now know all about amphetamine, methamphetamine, ephedrine, phentermine, and mephentermine.

That was one of your better ones, although you'd already set the bar pretty low lol

You know I love you though :kissing:

• Haha 1

On 30/09/2021 at 16:33, Bellend Sebastian said:

This was the other day, but I've only just remembered it.

At the start of the M69, with a completely clear motorway as far as the eye could see, the car in front moved into the middle lane from the inside lane when it went from 2 to 3 lanes. Always assumed that middle lane hoggers were just folk that had overtaken someone and then absent mindedly forgotten to move back again and were oblivious to what was going on around them. Never occurred to me it might be a conscious choice.  No idea what that's about

Opposite end, van joins from the adjoining motorway 

Doing 55-60mph. Slow.

Goes straight into the middle lane and stays there.

Some people are just ignorant.

6 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

Greta lol the girl gives me the creeps.I’m not talking long term here.Just a week.Or until things are straighted out a bit.If you don’t need to drive,don’t drive.Put unnecessary journeys off.No digs at you two btw.I think Debs lives in Spain now anyway,so not her problem.

I Took the dog for a long walk this morning.The roads are still busy.I’ve been driving at 55/60 since Monday through nescessity rather than because I’m an eco warrior.Most are still flying about regardless.While we continue to drive more than they can refill the pumps it’s never going to catch-up.Something will have to give.

Assuming you don't live in Leicester. I filled up today without queuing. Also no ques at 4 other fuel stations I passed either.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

1. You can't and shouldn't do these speeds in a 30mph zone mate.

2. That's nearly 6 days straight you've been driving. I think you should take a break every couple of hours! This will also help with the fuel issue as it means you'll have to fill up less if you drive less!

3. You shouldn't be online and posting while you've been driving. Please focus on the roads! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Otis said:

Assuming you don't live in Leicester. I filled up today without queuing. Also no ques at 4 other fuel stations I passed either.

That’s great news.I think the north and west haven’t had it as bad during the week.Down south though it’s been tragic.Hopefully it will calm down over the weekend and the tankers are given half a chance.Plus it’s pissed down since dinner.

40 minutes ago, StanSP said:

1. You can't and shouldn't do these speeds in a 30mph zone mate.

2. That's nearly 6 days straight you've been driving. I think you should take a break every couple of hours! This will also help with the fuel issue as it means you'll have to fill up less if you drive less!

3. You shouldn't be online and posting while you've been driving. Please focus on the roads! 

It’s felt like it :( if not in a queue in a queue avoiding a queue avoiding a queue.Queue.

On 02/10/2021 at 13:23, Heathrow fox said:

The situation isn't because people aren't driving 55-60 mph, the situation is bad because of all the c**ks filling up their tanks and jerry cans and the like because the news said there was a few stations that were closed out of the 9000 in the whole country.

Interesting to hear that the majority of the stations still closed are in the South East / London areas - if I had to pick an area where I thought we'd run out of petrol due to general selfishness/rich 'I'm alright jack' snobbery I think that's where I would have guessed.

6 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

The situation isn't because people aren't driving 55-60 mph, the situation is bad because of all the c**ks filling up their tanks and jerry cans and the like because the news said there was a few stations that were closed out of the 9000 in the whole country.

Interesting to hear that the majority of the stations still closed are in the South East / London areas - if I had to pick an area where I thought we'd run out of petrol due to general selfishness/rich 'I'm alright jack' snobbery I think that's where I would have guessed.

I live in the South-East now and it's not my opinion that selfishness or snobbery have anything to do with the shortage, in any case I don't see much of that where I live.  It's more to do with the population levels compared to the number of petrol stations.  In my town of 33,000 people we have two petrol stations, the same number as when the town was half that size; there's also a petrol station at an out of town Tesco nearby.  For most of the past week two out of three of those petrol stations have been dry, on several days all three.  It's the same situation in the surrounding towns and villages.  No wonder then that when a petrol station gets a delivery there's a rush to fill up.

1 minute ago, Crinklyfox said:

I live in the South-East now and it's not my opinion that selfishness or snobbery have anything to do with the shortage, in any case I don't see much of that where I live.  It's more to do with the population levels compared to the number of petrol stations.  In my town of 33,000 people we have two petrol stations, the same number as when the town was half that size; there's also a petrol station at an out of town Tesco nearby.  For most of the past week two out of three of those petrol stations have been dry, on several days all three.  It's the same situation in the surrounding towns and villages.  No wonder then that when a petrol station gets a delivery there's a rush to fill up.

I'm not saying everyone in the entire area is selfish or snobbish, far from it, but if I had to guess which area had the largest amount of people that would rush buy petrol and take far more than they need, that's where I'd guess.

Luckily I filled my car up the Monday before it all kicked off and worked from home all that week, then last week I was at some training closer to home so full tank lasted me about 2 weeks

I was able to stroll up to my local tesco petrol station at about 9pm on Saturday with only a few other cars around and fill my tank up