Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

4 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

These Welford Road works are the bane of my life. 

I only live 6 miles from my work but it's taking 40-45 minutes. Makes me want to drive into the council building, but I couldn't build up the speed anyway.

It would take less than that if you cycled in, be healthy for you and better for the environment.

I know, I know: using a bike isn't practical.

Chap I worked with had a similar problem getting in to work and also complained about car parking spaces an costs. I mentioned the bus route outside his house that would take him straight to the office.

If looks could kill, I would be 6' under.

• Like 1

Vehicles with sequential LED indicators. What's the point? Tbh, it would be more useful to have central indicators, so that drivers can indicate that they're going straight across at a junction, thus removing any doubt in that situation.

Also, my own car. I tried to put Redex in the fuel tank today, but inside the filler cap is a plastic barrier. No matter how hard I tried, the damn thing wouldn't open up!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Corky said:

Drivers speeding up through surface water and soaking you as a pedestrian.

Just no ****ing need.

That's actually a motoring offence:

Yes it is illegal to splash a pedestrian with water from the road whilst driving your car. And you can get a fixed penalty notice for doing so. In a few cases people have been handed tickets for public order offences after deliberately driving through puddles to target pedestrians.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988, it is illegal to drive "without reasonable consideration for other persons".

2 hours ago, String fellow said:

Vehicles with sequential LED indicators. What's the point? Tbh, it would be more useful to have central indicators, so that drivers can indicate that they're going straight across at a junction, thus removing any doubt in that situation.

Also, my own car. I tried to put Redex in the fuel tank today, but inside the filler cap is a plastic barrier. No matter how hard I tried, the damn thing wouldn't open up!

A lot of cars are fitted with anti-tamper devices. 

Using a plastic jerry can with the spout might open it up.

• Like 2

On 04/10/2021 at 15:21, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Think I was flashed twice doing 81 on the M6 between the M69 and M42 (both ways) this weekend.

Was the usual 70 limit and yeah I know I was going above 70 but flashed at 81, really?

Didn't think those cameras bothered unless you were doing 85+ but hey ho, will have to take the medicine if it comes.

Update: It's been two weeks and no letters through the door #phew

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Update: It's been two weeks and no letters through the door #phew

I think sometimes they go off when your just under the fines limit to shock you into slowing down. I think they fine at say 85 like you say and but they probably flash you at 80 to give a little shock to the system and they just discard all those.

9 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I think sometimes they go off when your just under the fines limit to shock you into slowing down. I think they fine at say 85 like you say and but they probably flash you at 80 to give a little shock to the system and they just discard all those.

It's worked to be fair !

Just now, UpTheLeagueFox said:

It's worked to be fair !

I read somewhere those signs that flash up your speed are actually more effective than speed cameras at slowing people down. Same mentality I guess, the shock of realising you're speeding.

3 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I read somewhere those signs that flash up your speed are actually more effective than speed cameras at slowing people down. Same mentality I guess, the shock of realising you're speeding.

I've modified my driving since I went on an awareness course 3-4 years ago - eg used to do 88-90 on motorways - now do 80 - 70 seems so slow, especially on empty roads late at night.

1 minute ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I've modified my driving since I went on an awareness course 3-4 years ago - eg used to do 88-90 on motorways - now do 80 - 70 seems so slow, especially on empty roads late at night.

Try and stick with it. I had a course about 10 years ago, and modified my driving and them slipped back into bad habits and got caught again about 4 years ago.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 13:52, Free Falling Foxes said:

It would take less than that if you cycled in, be healthy for you and better for the environment.

I know, I know: using a bike isn't practical.

Chap I worked with had a similar problem getting in to work and also complained about car parking spaces an costs. I mentioned the bus route outside his house that would take him straight to the office.

If looks could kill, I would be 6' under.

I would do mate, but I have to bring a fair amount of equipment in that I couldn't carry on a bike.

I used to get overtaken on London Road by a colleague who could cycle into work and it was infuriating lol 

2 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

I would do mate, but I have to bring a fair amount of equipment in that I couldn't carry on a bike.

I used to get overtaken on London Road by a colleague who could cycle into work and it was infuriating lol 

For several years I cycled just over 5 miles to Stoneygate each day for work, on only a handful of occasions I used the car. Strewth, I found it frustrating on those occassions; stuck in traffic, it seemed you were stationary far more than mobile.

In fact for a two year period, my wife used the car to travel to De Mont uni campus that was close to where I worked, but I still elected to cycle instead of joining her in the car - probably for both our sanity.

On 12/10/2021 at 16:26, String fellow said:

Also, my own car. I tried to put Redex in the fuel tank today, but inside the filler cap is a plastic barrier. No matter how hard I tried, the damn thing wouldn't open

Have you tried just pouring it in anyway? On my car the Redex will still flow to the tank even though it doesn't bypass that barrier part... 

6 hours ago, Parafox said:

Those drivers who can't seem to stay on their side of the road on a bend. At least twice this evening I've been forced to move to my left to avoid twats going too fast and not negotiating their right hand bend correctly thereby cutting across the centre line and into my side of the road.

Similarly, drivers who are unable to correctly turn right into a side road without cutting off the centre line of the road I'm emerging from forcing me to brake to avoid them. Simple driving standards that seem to be ignored by knobs that don't give a shit once they've passed their test.

Yes, it's that common phenomenon I often encounter, especially on rural roads, of drivers driving on the assumption that nobody will have the temerity to be driving in the opposite direction.

7 hours ago, Parafox said:

Those drivers who can't seem to stay on their side of the road on a bend. At least twice this evening I've been forced to move to my left to avoid twats going too fast and not negotiating their right hand bend correctly thereby cutting across the centre line and into my side of the road.

Similarly, drivers who are unable to correctly turn right into a side road without cutting off the centre line of the road I'm emerging from forcing me to brake to avoid them. Simple driving standards that seem to be ignored by knobs that don't give a shit once they've passed their test.

It's amazing how many people struggle with steering to the right. It's been mentioned on here before but that bend by the Old Hare and Hounds in Anstey seems to be a particularly hard one for folk to negotiate when heading in the direction of Bradgate Park. I always approach that one carefully when heading back to town from my folks because at least half oncoming traffic is on the line or over it

Just on country roads and people being baffled by those coming in the opposite direction, as someone who does Beggars Lane a lot these days I am astonished at the number of drivers who touch their brake as soon as anything is coming in the opposite direction.

Had one on Monday who was touching the brake every single time a car was coming. There's a wider part of Beggars Lane and even then any time it was oncoming the red lights went on.

Absolutely infuriating.

6 hours ago, Collymore said:

Have you tried just pouring it in anyway? On my car the Redex will still flow to the tank even though it doesn't bypass that barrier part... 

Thanks for the suggestion. Redex is a very thin liquid so it might pass through the barrier somehow. If I ever run out of fuel at the roadside, it'll be fun trying to pour diesel into the tank! Why is it that modern cars are so damn complicated? 

10 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Just on country roads and people being baffled by those coming in the opposite direction, as someone who does Beggars Lane a lot these days I am astonished at the number of drivers who touch their brake as soon as anything is coming in the opposite direction.

Had one on Monday who was touching the brake every single time a car was coming. There's a wider part of Beggars Lane and even then any time it was oncoming the red lights went on.

Absolutely infuriating.

On Beggars Lane you also get on-coming driving in the middle of the road and only move over when you're coming.

11 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

On Beggars Lane you also get on-coming driving in the middle of the road and only move over when you're coming.

Years ago I went to fatal collision on Beggars Lane due to both cars being over the centre of the road and hitting each other head on. It's really not the sort of road where you can get up to any significant speed but still, one person died as a result.

• Sad 1