Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

On 01/11/2021 at 23:23, tom27111 said:

@Parafox you've obviously had so much experience on the road and it's always interesting to hear your thoughts.

Take for example those speed bumps that are like a brick wall in the middle of the road, which are still about, how did you negotiate them as an ambulance driver? 

Did they piss you off?

You see them less nowadays, but I'm talking like the old ones that used to be at Meridian, outside the cinema.

You would see them on some public roads too. There's some in Upton, Northampton and in a standard BMW 118, I have to take them at under 10mph.

I bet you could tell some stories! 

Lad i knew couldnt take his car to the meridian because it was lowered etc etc. Boy racer carp. 

Couldnt get it over the speed bumps.

Funny enough in his brothers car one evening we came across some road works where we all had to get out of the car because there was a step in the road. Us out raised the car a mm or two which then allowed for the car to slowly go over at a 45degree angle before we all piled back in.

On 01/11/2021 at 23:23, tom27111 said:

@Parafox you've obviously had so much experience on the road and it's always interesting to hear your thoughts.

Take for example those speed bumps that are like a brick wall in the middle of the road, which are still about, how did you negotiate them as an ambulance driver? 

Did they piss you off?

You see them less nowadays, but I'm talking like the old ones that used to be at Meridian, outside the cinema.

You would see them on some public roads too. There's some in Upton, Northampton and in a standard BMW 118, I have to take them at under 10mph.

I bet you could tell some stories! 

It's really difficult at times trying to drive on blue lights down roads with the tortuous speed bumps as we had to speed up and then slow down which confused some drivers following us or giving way ahead of us.

Having to drive on lights and sirens with a critically ill patient on board and negotiate severe speed restricting road constructions is very uncomfortable and stressful for the driver, the paramedic in the back and the patient, if they're conscious and aware.

I can't describe how difficult trying to do CPR in the back of a moving vehicle on a flat straight road, never mind banging over speed bumps and swerving around chicanes. A lot depends on the skill of the driver but there are some that seem to have a red mist when travelling to or from a critical incident. I used to tell my drivers that I needed to arrive at the scene as relaxed and focused as I could be and that depended on how they drove. I'm no good if I'm trying to calm myself down. 

Among the worst speed bumps I've encountered are those Tudor Road. Kerb high, brick block structures every 50 metres or so, loads of them on the Monsell, Saffron Lane estate, Beaumont Leys among many others that I'm sure many will know of. Also those rubber strips that look like giant Toblerones. Absolutely dreadful if your in your own car, imagine going over them several times with a patient in pain or with a back/neck injury.

The Meridian bumps are about the worst it gets, though. It's not as if you could zoom around and endanger life there.

And I also have to say, the Council policy of restricting road width, adding mid-lane refuges and removing lanes on major inner city ring roads is frightening for emergency services. For example and important to us, the removal of a lane on Vaughn's Way, the removal of a lane and the widening of the pavement on Newark St. The restrictions along Welford Road, city bound, and I dread to think how it's going to be around the cattle market and Aylestone road after that gets completed. All these measures compress the traffic volume into less space and we really struggle to get through. In fact ambulance crews driving tutoring now says we have to turn off the lights and sirens if traffic lights ahead are on red and the traffic that has nowhere to go because it creates confusion and panic among other drivers and can be intimidating. 

I could also relate some stories about the behaviour of some road users when they see lights and hear sirens. lol

Edited by Parafox
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Shout out to the cyclist with no lights riding down the unlit Blaby Bypass this evening, visible mainly because of the reflective strips on the legs of his work wear trousers.

Not the route I'd have taken tbh

Not just cyclists but drivers who seem to be unaware of the dark and don't have any lights on. Almost as bad, if not worse as they must have some perception of the light levels, are those who only have their sidelights on. Also those who've been on an unlit road but still have their lights on full beam on the motorway or in town.

There was a motorcyclist behind me this evening. Now, bearing in mind most motorcyclists will have DRL's or a head light on for their own safety, this twat was on dim sidelights. Also wearing jeans and a denim jacket. Great protection if he falls off. He was (wearing) a complete helmet.

8 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I could help you with the first 2 problems...

I could help you with the third if you got the tube lol

Haha - thanks. I’m having a test drive of an EV6 later this month, so fingers crossed I’ll be electric by early next year. 

And, yeah, usually use the tube, but occasionally have to drive. It’s an absolute ball ache. 

• 3 weeks later...

An old favourite at the weekend.... on a fairly empty M1, plenty of drivers (relatively speaking) in the 3rd lane of 4, so in essence taking up 3 lanes. And my favourite was one driver in the middle of 3 lanes who I flashed and kindly moved over for me, only to then go back to the middle lane once I'd passed, for absolutely no reason whatsoever. I cannot fathom it.

Other than that, a rash of people driving way below the speed limit locally and a lot of unnecessary braking.

• Like 4

Two lanes. Roundabout. Both lanes go around it.

Lorry in the left lane. Stopped at red lights.

Audi in front of me in the right lane approaching the junction.

No other vehicles.

The Audi stops behind the lorry. Its because she can't get past. She can't get past because she isn't properly in her lane. She was straddling by half a foot or so.

Brain dead. Absolutely fcking brainless.

Then when the lights go to green and she gets in her lane to go around the roundabout she emergency brakes because of the lorry and how "close" (it wasn't) it was getting.

Needless to say at the next junction she didnt appear to know what lane she wanted/or know of indicators. 

5 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Just driven up the M1. Windy and pretty empty. And yet I managed to undercut (in the first lane, that's how empty it was) one goon sat in the FOURTH lane, whose conscience was so jolted that he thereafter conceded.... to the third lane. 

The only explanation I can think of for the middle lane drivers is that perhaps if they have a tyre blow out or have to swerve for any reason then they've got more road either side to play with. Ridiculous I know, especially at the cost of everyone else having to negotiate them. 

8 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Just driven up the M1. Windy and pretty empty. And yet I managed to undercut (in the first lane, that's how empty it was) one goon sat in the FOURTH lane, whose conscience was so jolted that he thereafter conceded.... to the third lane. 

2 hours ago, Collymore said:

The only explanation I can think of for the middle lane drivers is that perhaps if they have a tyre blow out or have to swerve for any reason then they've got more road either side to play with. Ridiculous I know, especially at the cost of everyone else having to negotiate them. 

I still think that's a weak excuse. Anyone could suffer a blowout but majority still stick to the guidelines and stay in the correct lane. They're a danger to several other road users by such lane hogging. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Collymore said:

It’s safe and comfortable to stay in the middle lane.You don’t have to think as much,No having to negotiate junction’s and changing lanes/over taking etc.
I try not to let it annoy me.It’s the ones who stay in the middle lane and go fast then slow who grate.If you have a vehicle that’s got restricted speed,they become a pain in the arse to get past.
If I wasn’t confident,I would tuck myself behind a steady moving lorry and copy what they did.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Harrydc

Genuine question for any cyclist's out there, when you're on a busy road and you see 20+ cars behind you waiting going at around 10mph , do you not think to yourself I'll get on the path for a second so these cars can safely pass? 

2 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Genuine question for any cyclist's out there, when you're on a busy road and you see 20+ cars behind you waiting going at around 10mph , do you not think to yourself I'll get on the path for a second so these cars can safely pass? 

For one thing it's very difficult to see what's behind you when cycling so they probably don't see the queue.  For another though if there's a bike path then that's a bit twatty.  Last thought on this is when I'm driving it's generally the drivers who seem to think they're piloting a cruise ship and consistently fail to recognise when there's room to pass the cyclist that bother me rather than the cyclist themselves.  One more bike is one less car etc.

34 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

I've sometimes stopped onnthe side or gone onto the pavement(as you can sense cars behind you).  Luckiky my communting hours are pre rush so I dont get that issue too bad. As a driver as well it gives you an insight into both perspectives.

Alot of cyclists dont help themselves with no lights etc in the dark and alot of drivers dont realise how vulnerable  cyclists are and how close to a big accident we are 

Guest Harrydc
14 minutes ago, Raj said:

I've sometimes stopped onnthe side or gone onto the pavement(as you can sense cars behind you).  Luckiky my communting hours are pre rush so I dont get that issue too bad. As a driver as well it gives you an insight into both perspectives.

Alot of cyclists dont help themselves with no lights etc in the dark and alot of drivers dont realise how vulnerable  cyclists are and how close to a big accident we are 

Nothing gets to me more than cyclist's without lights helmet etc in dark weather. 

7 hours ago, Harrydc said:

Nothing gets to me more than cyclist's without lights helmet etc in dark weather. 

Mostly teens TBF. Most sensible, mature cyclists have the full on strobe LCD's.

What really gets me is when (and it's most of them) cyclists refuse to use the safer cycle lanes and ride in the road on major routes, particularly those with shared cycle/pedestrian lanes marked out on the path. You want to be safe? Use the cycle lanes. Don't moan when drivers cause you an issue. You're the issue. Cycle lanes are there for a reason. If we didn't have them there'd be massive pressure groups calling for them. We have them and the same people refuse to use them.

• Like 1