Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

7 hours ago, Buce said:

From the RAC:

What does the Highway Code say about undertaking?

The Highway Code advises drivers not to undertake – although it is not a punishable offence in itself.

It states: “Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake.”

The Code though, advises that it’s OK for a car to undertake in slow-moving traffic, if its lane is moving faster than a lane on the right.

In these circumstances it’s deemed safer to undertake than to weave in and out of the traffic.

READ MORE: Driving offences and their punishments

The Code states: “In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right.

“In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right.

"Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.”

READ MORE: 16 Highway Code rules most people ignore

Is undertaking acceptable in any other circumstances?

So the Highway Code discourages undertaking, but – as detailed above – it is sometimes OK.

It may also be permissible in the following situations.

• Average speed checks
  • It’s acceptable to undertake on motorways where average speed limits are in operation.
  • Along these stretches of motorways overhead gantries will often advise vehicles to ‘stay in lane’. Therefore, it may be safer to pass a car travelling below the average speed limit on your right if your lane is moving faster. Again, this is safer than weaving in and out of the traffic.
  • If a car is turning right or U-turning
  • If a vehicle is in the right-hand land and turning right or performing a U-turn, it is permissible to undertake in the left-hand lane. Caution should be taken not to undertake too soon. It’s safer to wait until the vehicle has indicated and started to turn before passing it on the inside.

If you're at all unsure, it's always safer to just assume that undertaking is unacceptable and to drive in a safe and predictable manner.

READ MORE: Is it illegal to park on the pavement?

Can you receive a penalty for undertaking?

Some drivers may find it tempting to undertake, especially if they’re faced with a middle-lane hogger, but be aware that it can be dangerous and you can be fined for doing so.

Undertaking recklessly could see you receive a fixed penalty notice (FPN) for careless driving or driving without due care and attention.

READ MORE: 10 driving offences you didn’t know were illegal

This usually means three points on your driving licence and a £100 fine, although some police forces may offer a driver education course as an alternative.

In some more serious cases it could be considered dangerous driving which carries a harsher penalty of up to nine points on your licence or disqualification, a fine of up to £5.000 and a court summons.

Want to protect yourself against any losses after an accident? Get legal expenses insurance for just £15 a year with RAC Legal Care Plus.

Well that's bloody stupid.

You undertake an idiot middle lane jogger and You get done for careless driving? The guy(or girl) in the middle lanes been half asleep for most of the journey oblivious  to anything around him!!!

19 hours ago, Harrydc said:

This also gets on my nerves. Sometimes there are specific paths where it's clearly labelled for pedestrians and cyclist's yet they still choose to use the road. 

Or when you've struggled to overtake a cyclist and then hit a read light for them to undercut you. These days I make sure I stop as close to the curb as possible when at lights with a cyclist approaching behind me, to prevent them coming up the side of me. 

As a cyclist and a driver I've got to say this is a cvnt thing to do. Why would you do this?

Try cycling yourself and see the dangers we face day to day and you might have some empathy.

I'd just overtake you at the red light and get back in front!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Raj said:

Well that's bloody stupid.

You undertake an idiot middle lane jogger and You get done for careless driving? The guy(or girl) in the middle lanes been half asleep for most of the journey oblivious  to anything around him!!!

Well if you get done they should too at least. Wasn’t sitting in a middle lane for no reason made a specific offence a few years ago?

1 minute ago, Phil Bowman said:

Well if you get done they should too at least. Wasn’t sitting in a middle lane for no reason made a specific offence a few years ago?

I'm sure it was made illegal  but you still see loads doing it  I'm going off on one now but I bloody hate it!!! We need a thread about things annoying you on the roads.....🤣🤣

4 minutes ago, Raj said:

As a cyclist and a driver I've got to say this is a cvnt thing to do. Why would you do this?

Try cycling yourself and see the dangers we face day to day and you might have some empathy.

I'd just overtake you at the red light and get back in front!

Quite annoying also is the tendency for keen amateur cyclists to ride two-a-breast on country roads. They seem to think that by cycling fairly fast, they are effectively like a car when doing this. It means that hesitant overtakers will just stop behind them until there's at least a mile of dead straight road ahead before attempting to get past!

3 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Quite annoying also is the tendency for keen amateur cyclists to ride two-a-breast on country roads. They seem to think that by cycling fairly fast, they are effectively like a car when doing this. It means that hesitant overtakers will just stop behind them until there's at least a mile of dead straight road ahead before attempting to get past!

Yes, they are MAMIL going through a mid life crisis thinking they are in the Pendleton!

I was NERLY one but too tight to buy a £3000 road bike!

MAMIL= Middle Age Men In Lycra!

1 hour ago, String fellow said:

Cyclists will go two a breast or if its one cyclist will go further to the middle when it is unsafe for cars to overtake. 

Hugging the kerb encourages cars to overtake when it is unsafe to do so.

I suppose you get pi55ed off when there are horses in the road as well?

• Like 1

Guest Harrydc

So you're on a busy road, and you're struggling to overtake a cyclist. You finally get around to doing it for them to come up the left hand side of you when you're at the lights and you have to do it all over again? How can people not see how that is even remotely annoying? 

I'm not even getting into the cyclist's who don't follow any rules of the roads including jumping red lights.

Just now, Harrydc said:

So you're on a busy road, and you're struggling to overtake a cyclist. You finally get around to doing it for them to come up the left hand side of you when you're at the lights and you have to do it all over again? How can people not see how that is even remotely annoying? 

I'm not even getting into the cyclist's who don't follow any rules of the roads including jumping red lights.

This is part of the problem with your take, you're not even talking about the ones doing something wrong!

From my experience of many years behind the wheel I find that if overtaking is so difficult then prevailing conditions generally dictate that you aren't going to be making any great gains on the cyclist when you're ahead of them anyway.  If you catch up to the cars ahead and the cyclist passes you again it's not like the bike is the one holding you up, your anger more likely comes from jealousy of them being able to carry on relatively unimpeded from your perspective (but wait until you're the cyclist with self-centred drivers deliberately and unnecessarily putting their tons of dangerous machinery in your path...).

It's not usually hard to pass a lone cyclist in light traffic.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, adam1 said:

Cyclists will go two a breast or if its one cyclist will go further to the middle when it is unsafe for cars to overtake. 

Hugging the kerb encourages cars to overtake when it is unsafe to do so.

I suppose you get pi55ed off when there are horses in the road as well?

I have no problem at all with horse-riders, who are always incredibly polite, and give you a cheery wave when carefully overtaking them or are approaching them from the opposite direction. The only waves us drivers get from cyclists are usually of the two-fingered variety. The last one I had was from someone cycling straight through a red light and finding his path blocked by me turning right on a green light in the opposite direction. 

Edited by String fellow

8 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

How often does this situation arise? And does it really add that much time onto your journey?

You should try cycling, it's really good for you and it might make you see the bigger picture.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Your really not coming across very well about this point so I'd rethink about how you next come across this issue.

Your basically blocking off the area us cyclists are supposed to ride on. One day you will find a big feck off scratch on your car from s cyclist who you have blocked. We know car drivers who deliberately make life harder for us.

Like I say, try commuting one day to work on a cold dark morning  and see how infuriating  it can be.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, walkerleeds said:

Riding two-a-breast isn't about trying to be like a car, it's about safety for the cyclists. 

It's hilarious reading the drivel whenever cyclists come up. I cycle and drive, it's really not difficult for the two to share the road.

Bang on 100%.

If people drove and biked we would have a better understanding  and abit of empathy.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Yes. Some cyclists are fools. Some cyclists ignore the rules of the road.

But:

a) that doesn’t mean that cyclists generally don’t have every right to use the road - and to be allowed to do so safely;

b) I don’t know about you, but I see a lot more car drivers behaving like idiots than I do cyclists.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Raj said:

I think in a few years the biggest idiots on the road will be the ebikers who seem to be a law upon themselves (Apart from BMW and Audi drivers obviously!)

My money's firmly on the scooter bros with no means of indicating nor any basic highway code comprehension

• Like 1