Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

3 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

This is the very pits. Because they're limited they can't overtake each other easily and generate horrendous tailbacks for miles. 

Ought to be a fine for limited speed vehicles overtaking between the hours of 5 a.m and midnight. 

****ing menaces. 

And cos that road is just 2 lanes so is a nightmare 

On 01/06/2022 at 10:31, adam1 said:

Her car was hit last night/this morning when parked outside of our house. 

Smashed front light, windscreen cracked, dents and scratches high up and almost on the pillar (between windscreen and drivers side window - key structural part). 

As we didnt hear it, and the type of damage caused it was clearly a low speed / not quick in time / high pressure impact by a high sided vehicle.

Coincidently its also bin day today and they came round early... 

Get yourself a CCTV camera on the front of the house, or a Ring doorbell, if you park directly outside.

My sister in law had a similar occurrence and the Ring doorbell captured everything.

3 hours ago, foxile5 said:

This is the very pits. Because they're limited they can't overtake each other easily and generate horrendous tailbacks for miles. 

Ought to be a fine for limited speed vehicles overtaking between the hours of 5 a.m and midnight. 

****ing menaces. 

Ridiculous.Everything would end up getting delivered at the speed of the slowest lorry.

18 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

Ridiculous.Everything would end up getting delivered at the speed of the slowest lorry.

I don't think that crawling by one another over the distance of miles is contributing to our speedy commerce. 

And anyways public convenience > corporate benefit. 

On 18/06/2022 at 18:12, Unabomber said:

The M42 and lorries overtaking each other. Time and time again I assume there has been an accident or something has happened yet then it turns out it’s some lorry going by another at about 60mph.

Also it’s been said many times but ***** that don’t indicate. Especially left at roundabouts where I don’t go cos they’re coming round yet then turn left before me. Same with waiting to come out at junctions etc. 

23 hours ago, foxile5 said:

****ing menaces. 

Unprofessional, lazy, thoughtless driving by many truckers. All trucks have speed limiters. Some are set to 50 mph but most to 52 mph but that varies by a few mph as there's no definitive accurate setting for them. So you'll get one truck doing 52 and another maybe 55. It takes a long time at 3 mph to pass a 40 footer.

When I did my HGV lessons several years ago, the instructor told me that if you are being overtaken by another truck, knock off your limiter and slow down to allow the (slightly) faster truck to overtake more quickly thereby reducing tailbacks behind. If these guys did that it would make it a whole lot easier and cause fewer tailbacks but they just trundle along without thought. I wonder what they think when they're in their own car stuck behind 2 parallel trucks.

19 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

No it wouldn't because the trucks are delivering to/from distribution centres. You don't get an artic stop outside your house to drop off an Amazon parcel. lol

Encountered some utter bell end today whilst at work.

I was delivering in my own village, it's an old village and the High Street is just a narrow road with a village pub and loads of old houses.

So I was driving along the High Street, there was loads of parked cars on my side of the road, probably about 150 yards, solid, packed in.

There was nobody coming in the opposite direction, so I proceeded.

I'm about a third of the way going past all these parked cars, doing about 20, some nob comes flying round the corner, in his Range Rover Evoque, sees there's nowhere for me to pull in to, but carries on coming so he's right in front of me.

I've got absolutely nowhere to pull in to give way, bearing in mind I'm in a massive Mercedes Sprinter.

He starts gesturing at me that it's my fault!

Two cars are behind me, I have nowhere to go. I just put my handbrake on and sat there.

After about 3 minutes, he's starting to get quite irate and pulls on to the curb to his left to let me and the other cars past.

I wound down my window and told him what a cvnt he was, but didn't even have the bollocks to make eye contact with me.

Had he been in sight when I started the manoeuvre, I'd have obviously given way, but how the hell am I supposed to in that situation?

I just don't get some people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I was delivering in my own village, it's an old village and the High Street is just a narrow road with a village pub and loads of old houses.

So I was driving along the High Street, there was loads of parked cars on my side of the road, probably about 150 yards, solid, packed in.

I'm about a third of the way going past all these parked cars, doing about 20, some nob comes flying round the corner, in his Range Rover Evoque, sees there's nowhere for me to pull in to, but carries on coming so he's right in front of me.

I've got absolutely nowhere to pull in to give way, bearing in mind I'm in a massive Mercedes Sprinter.

Two cars are behind me, I have nowhere to go. I just put my handbrake on and sat there.

After about 3 minutes, he's starting to get quite irate and pulls on to the curb to his left to let me and the other cars past.

I wound down my window and told him what a cvnt he was, but didn't even have the bollocks to make eye contact with me.

Had he been in sight when I started the manoeuvre, I'd have obviously given way, but how the hell am I supposed to in that situation?

Is that going to part of your accident report to Amazon's transport office? I'd omit the part where you called him a cvnt, if I were you. lol

Even emergency vehicles are confronted by knobheads who believe they have the right of way above us. I've had to reverse into a tight space on blue lights to allow a dick such as you have encountered, to get past

Edited by Parafox
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Is that going to part of your accident report to Amazon's transport office? I'd omit the part where you called him a cvnt, if I were you. lol

We've got dashcams facing the road and the drivers.

So many people pull out in front of me at roundabouts too. It's actually a daily occurrence.

Natural instincs usually kick in and I slam on the brakes.

But some chav in a Fiesta ST pulled out right in front of me a couple of days ago. I was going straight on, he shot out and completely shat himself when he noticed I wasn't slowing down, his face was a picture as he locked his stare on me as he was turning right.

Missed him by inches.

It ain't my 3 tonnes of metal I'm driving and all the evidence will be on camera.

Think I'd suffer a bit of whiplash too lol

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

When you're driving up to a t-junction and a pavement cyclist bombs across it at speed without looking.

Missed one by cms earlier. I actually don't mind cyclists being on the pavement if they're taking a bit of care, but this one had a death wish

I'd say the vast majority of drivers, cyclists and pedestrians are totally switched on and are very safety conscious. 

It's probably 5% that let's everyone down.

I spend so much time on the road, I should say that so many people are so kind, letting me pull out, or flashing their lights to let me go.

But it's the bad one's that stick in the mind.

Like the age old saying...if a company treats you right, you tell a couple of people, if they treat you badly, you tell everyone. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I'd say the vast majority of drivers, cyclists and pedestrians are totally switched on and are very safety conscious. 

It's probably 5% that let's everyone down.

I spend so much time on the road, I should say that so many people are so kind, letting me pull out, or flashing their lights to let me go.

But it's the bad one's that stick in the mind.

Like the age old saying...if a company treats you right, you tell a couple of people, if they treat you badly, you tell everyone. 

I absolutely agree, most of us just want an easy life without aggro, don't we?

What gets on my tits with this new cycling thing is the sudden unpredictable hazard coming from somewhere it didn't used to before. After 20 years of driving I'm wired to look out for pedestrians who are waiting to cross or might get to the kerb by the time I get to the junction, and then obviously vehicles and especially bikes and motorbikes on the road I'm turning into, which I'm guessing is the same as most drivers as that's how we get taught. I'm not yet wired to have a fast pavement cyclist in my head when approaching a t-junction but as this has happened to me a couple of times now I need to be.

I don't really care about blame or who's in the right etc etc, I just don't want extra risk in the mix and folk getting hurt

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I absolutely agree, most of us just want an easy life without aggro, don't we?

What gets on my tits with this new cycling thing is the sudden unpredictable hazard coming from somewhere it didn't used to before. After 20 years of driving I'm wired to look out for pedestrians who are waiting to cross or might get to the kerb by the time I get to the junction, and then obviously vehicles and especially bikes and motorbikes on the road I'm turning into, which I'm guessing is the same as most drivers as that's how we get taught. I'm not yet wired to have a fast pavement cyclist in my head when approaching a t-junction but as this has happened to me a couple of times now I need to be.

I don't really care about blame or who's in the right etc etc, I just don't want extra risk in the mix and folk getting hurt

Most cyclists are fine, but put 5 or more together and they think they're invincible!

Only if they're wearing lycra and over the age of 40 though lol

I've been driving for 25 years and it's quite frankly a different world since we passed our tests.

It's literally just common sense and courtesy needed from everyone.

Unfortunately, it seems that's too much to ask for.

Edit...not aimed at cyclists, I mean everyone.

Edited by tom27111

One of my main hates about the road is towns and villages that allow parking along both sides of a road that is already too narrow to get two cars alongside down it. Means you're constantly stopping and pulling in between parked cars to let others by. Winds me up no end. Why let cars park along narrow roads where it constantly blocks the flow of traffic? 

Roads in this country are far too narrow in general. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, tom27111 said:

So many drivers assume that "their" lane means it's their right of way, no matter what, and will not take into consideration that these kinds of circumstances will happen on our narrow roads. What pisses me off in this situation (if it's "my" lane) is when you see one vehicle already committed, so you stop to let them go and then a bunch of other cars behind them take the piss and go so you're stuck there like a lemon for what feels like an eternity

I actually failed my first driving test on your exact scenario - it was a narrow road in Melton with a long row of parked cars on my side of the road (which also curved to the left so you could only see about 100 yards ahead) - there was nothing oncoming so I started to pass the parked cars, then halfway an oncoming bus appeared and had to stop to let me proceed. I got a major for that, asked the instructor when we got back to the test centre what the hell else I could have done in that situation and he gave me some bullshit back. Ridiculous

8 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

So many drivers assume that "their" lane means it's their right of way, no matter what, and will not take into consideration that these kinds of circumstances will happen on our narrow roads. What pisses me off in this situation (if it's "my" lane) is when you see one vehicle already committed, so you stop to let them go and then a bunch of other cars behind them take the piss and go so you're stuck there like a lemon for what feels like an eternity

I actually failed my first driving test on your exact scenario - it was a narrow road in Melton with a long row of parked cars on my side of the road (which also curved to the left so you could only see about 100 yards ahead) - there was nothing oncoming so I started to pass the parked cars, then halfway an oncoming bus appeared and had to stop to let me proceed. I got a major for that, asked the instructor when we got back to the test centre what the hell else I could have done in that situation and he gave me some bullshit back. Ridiculous

That's an awful way to fail a driving test. 

It's actually unbelievable. 

I failed for hitting a curb at 60 and the car going on to 2 wheels.

That horrible road out of South Wigston, heading to Countesthorpe, just after the hump back bridge.

I swear the curb randomly stuck out.

That's how you fail a test!

I did pass 3 days later.

Edited by tom27111
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Unbelievably just a few hours ago, I was driving through a local housing estate, I indicated to turn left into a side road. I was aware of a car behind me as I prepared to make the turn. The driver of the car behind me decided to pull out and overtake me instead of slowing down. As I approached the junction a motorcyclist emerged and on seeing my indicator, continued to pull out into the road I was turning from. The car that was overtaking me hit him. Hard. I obviously stopped to help. Poor guy had some severe fractures and his bike was several metres down the road. The driver of the car was a young woman absolutely distraught at the carnage she'd caused. Inexperience and arrogance and a complete unawareness of anything going on beyond her own presence on the road. That's how people get killed. Motorcyclist will have long term recovery problems, I imagine.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, tom27111 said:

That's an awful way to fail a driving test. 

It's actually unbelievable. 

I failed for hitting a curb at 60 and the car going on to 2 wheels.

That horrible road out of South Wigston, heading to Countesthorpe, just after the hump back bridge.

I swear the curb randomly stuck out.

That's how you fail a test!

I did pass 3 days later.

Yeah that instructor was a bit of a douche, also that test was late in the afternoon and I was told it's common for instructors who've reached a quota of passed tests for a day to be under pressure to fail drivers after that, don't know if that's true but I took my test again 2 weeks later (different instructor) and passed with 2 minors

• 2 weeks later...

Not so much annoyed but about crapped myself at lunch today

Going to Morrisons to get some food, 2 lanes at a set of lights, me at the front in the right lane and a black bmw at the front in the left lane

Lights change and off I go, not that fast but I am pretty quick off when the lights change

The right lane merges into the left lane so I look in my passenger mirror to move over, and I see the black bmw is actually an unmarked police car as they turn on their lights and start flying up behind me!

Genuinely thought I was getting pulled over until they moved into the middle of the road to go past me

• Haha 1

On 20/06/2022 at 22:38, Parafox said:

Unbelievably just a few hours ago, I was driving through a local housing estate, I indicated to turn left into a side road. I was aware of a car behind me as I prepared to make the turn. The driver of the car behind me decided to pull out and overtake me instead of slowing down. As I approached the junction a motorcyclist emerged and on seeing my indicator, continued to pull out into the road I was turning from. The car that was overtaking me hit him. Hard. I obviously stopped to help. Poor guy had some severe fractures and his bike was several metres down the road. The driver of the car was a young woman absolutely distraught at the carnage she'd caused. Inexperience and arrogance and a complete unawareness of anything going on beyond her own presence on the road. That's how people get killed. Motorcyclist will have long term recovery problems, I imagine.

I was told of a situation similar to this, and never did quite work out where the law sat.

Scenario: Lorry, turning left into a side road from a main road. Motorcyclist behind it, overtakes. Car pulls out of the side road - smack, motorcycle into car.

Question: Whose fault is that? Because I disagreed with the person I knew who was one of those involved but didn’t have the heart to push him too hard on it.

Edited by Dunge

56 minutes ago, Dunge said:

I was told of a situation similar to this, and never did quite work out where the law sat.

Scenario: Lorry, turning left into a side road from a main road. Motorcyclist behind it, overtakes. Car pulls out of the side road - smack, motorcycle into car.

Question: Whose fault is that? Because I disagreed with the person I knew who was one of those involved but didn’t have the heart to push him too hard on it.

I would have said the person pulling out is at fault, as they can't see that it's clear? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I would have said the person pulling out is at fault, as they can't see that it's clear? 

That’s what the guy I know (the motorcyclist) believed, but I figured it could be joint fault between motorbike and car because the motorcycle was overtaking riskily. (If he’d stayed behind the lorry and waited, the crash wouldn’t have happened.)

2 hours ago, Dunge said:

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

1 hour ago, Dunge said:

That’s what the guy I know (the motorcyclist) believed, but I figured it could be joint fault between motorbike and car because the motorcycle was overtaking riskily. (If he’d stayed behind the lorry and waited, the crash wouldn’t have happened.)

IMO there's fault on both sides. The M/cyclist didn't have a clear view of the junction and should have waited. The driver of the car saw that the truck was turning into the side road but couldn't have seen the m/cyclist and again, should have waited until they could get a clear view of the road before making their manoeuvre.

2 hours ago, Dunge said:

How is it risky, if the road in front of them is clear? Those in the side road waiting should wait for it to definitely be clear for them to join 

53 minutes ago, Parafox said:

IMO there's fault on both sides. The M/cyclist didn't have a clear view of the junction and should have waited. The driver of the car saw that the truck was turning into the side road but couldn't have seen the m/cyclist and again, should have waited until they could get a clear view of the road before making their manoeuvre.

I thought the highway code says that main road users have priority over those turning in to the main road? I could be wrong though, it's years since I took my test! 

Common sense tells me that if I'm sitting at a junction in a side road waiting to turn on to a main road, I need to be certain it's clear 

Driving at 70 on a motorway and overtaking a lorry at 60 who was overtaking another lorry going slower. I safely pass the lorry in the middle lane and want to pull across but the guy behind me who’s been tailgating me as I over take can’t be bothered to wait and undertakes me. By which point a middle lane hogger  has caught up and is staying almost level with me and I can’t get across without either speeding or slowing right down. To add insult to injury there’s a police car behind tailgating me now. 

All this to say I got away with speeding right in front of a cop.