Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

13 minutes ago, adam1 said:

Pet hate is those who don't accelerate on slip roads and want to join a dual carriage way at 30-40mph.

I will slow down to give myself the biggest gap possible so I can get up to speed after they have joined.

My biggest pet hate are those who join at 30-40 then accelerate to 70 once in lane. 

That drives me absolutely nuts - if you have any common sense, you'll be aiming to get to 60-70mph before joining and just check your mirrors early in case people aren't letting you in in which case you slow down (or stop if no chance of getting in safely)*. There is nothing to be gained by pootling up a slip-road, all you're doing in that instance is making it more unsafe for those behind and looking like a less than predictable driver is a distraction to those already on the dual carriageway. You should get points for it

*The only sliproads I can think of where heightened caution is really needed are the two at Wanlip on the A46, where you've got zero run up and terrible visibility. I think the sliproad heading towards the Hobby Horse roundabout is the only one where I've ever had to come to a complete stop in moving traffic, and just praying whoever is behind is paying as much attention. Whoever designed those sliproads needs a kick in the teeth

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

That drives me absolutely nuts - if you have any common sense, you'll be aiming to get to 60-70mph before joining and just check your mirrors early in case people aren't letting you in in which case you slow down (or stop if no chance of getting in safely)*. There is nothing to be gained by pootling up a slip-road, all you're doing in that instance is making it more unsafe for those behind and looking like a less than predictable driver is a distraction to those already on the dual carriageway. You should get points for it

*The only sliproads I can think of where heightened caution is really needed are the two at Wanlip on the A46, where you've got zero run up and terrible visibility. I think the sliproad heading towards the Hobby Horse roundabout is the only one where I've ever had to come to a complete stop in moving traffic, and just praying whoever is behind is paying as much attention. Whoever designed those sliproads needs a kick in the teeth

A46 from Widmerpool towards Leicester and someone stopped at the bottom of the massive slip road when no cars were coming, causing the car behind them to rear end them. if I'd have not looked forward when I did I'd have gone into the back of them at 70, luckily I had room to swerve round them onto the empty a46. If I'd not looked forward half a second later and I'd have been dead. 

• Sad 1

Reading about people being on their phones just reminded me of an incident last week. I was in the 4th lane overtaking and noticed the car I was passing in the 3rd lane was somewhat erratic in its movements. As I drew closer I saw the mobile phone in his right hand by the window, clearly being used. I hooted as if to say 'I'm here, please pay attention' and the face on him was quite something - 'f**k off you ****' was quite clearly shouted at me, and then he decided to try (he failed) to intimidate me by flashing at me, driving behind me (luckily he didn't have a great deal of scope or power), and then when I made my way off at J26 (I think it was), he followed me off, pulled up alongside me (thus blocking the lane) and was yelling at me through an open window.

I learnt from previous experiences, didn't flinch, didn't look, didn't acknowledge him, I could hear his voice but luckily have no idea what he was shouting. How angry must you be to be behaving like that?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Collymore said:

Was in the third lane trying to do the daily Wordle on my phone when some dick in the 4th lane hooted at me which caused me to lose the game. I was so angry I followed him, flashing him and followed him off at the next junction. Managed to pull alongside him blocking him in and told him what I thought. Realised it was a manaquin driving a Tesla, felt really embarrassed but you live and learn.

Fantastic post :thumbup:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Collymore said:

Was in the third lane trying to do the daily Wordle on my phone when some dick in the 4th lane hooted at me which caused me to lose the game. I was so angry I followed him, flashing him and followed him off at the next junction. Managed to pull alongside him blocking him in and told him what I thought. Realised it was a manaquin driving a Tesla, felt really embarrassed but you live and learn.

Edited by Parafox

19 hours ago, Collymore said:

Sure it wasn't @The Bear?

19 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Anyone noticed that people are driving much slower on the motorway since the fuel prices rocketed? Was overtaking a good stream of people today in big old German cars and I was only doing about 65 myself.

Oh yeah. Happened in the last fuel crisis as well.

That dumbass parking up for half an hour with your engine running thing has also been less prevalent recently 

On 04/07/2022 at 22:13, HighPeakFox said:

Reading about people being on their phones just reminded me of an incident last week. I was in the 4th lane overtaking and noticed the car I was passing in the 3rd lane was somewhat erratic in its movements. As I drew closer I saw the mobile phone in his right hand by the window, clearly being used. I hooted as if to say 'I'm here, please pay attention' and the face on him was quite something - 'f**k off you ****' was quite clearly shouted at me, and then he decided to try (he failed) to intimidate me by flashing at me, driving behind me (luckily he didn't have a great deal of scope or power), and then when I made my way off at J26 (I think it was), he followed me off, pulled up alongside me (thus blocking the lane) and was yelling at me through an open window.

I learnt from previous experiences, didn't flinch, didn't look, didn't acknowledge him, I could hear his voice but luckily have no idea what he was shouting. How angry must you be to be behaving like that?

Sorry, I'd had a really trying day. 

• Haha 2

People who block junctions just because they want to try and get ahead at a set of traffic lights. But they end up at the back of a queue, and pissing off a lot of other drivers and blocking other lanes. 

• Like 1

I wasn't really annoyed as such, but I was a split second from taking out a motorcyclist earlier who decided to undertake me as I was  already turning left off a main road.

I'd checked my mirror and nothing's there, but something made me look again when I might not usually do so, and then motorbike appears from nowhere and I realise there's no way he's going to stop but I do and leave him enough room to pass. I was signalling and already turning, I can only assume that he thought I was turning right and couldn't see my indicator as I had a car behind me.

I nearly turned anyway after I saw him because I thought there's no way on earth he's going to keep going or he'll go round the outside, but I'm thankful for my cautious nature because if I hadn't, he'd be a mess.

It's a turn I have to make pretty much every time I go out in my car and nothing remotely like this has ever happened before

22 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Anyone noticed that people are driving much slower on the motorway since the fuel prices rocketed? Was overtaking a good stream of people today in big old German cars and I was only doing about 65 myself.

Coincidental that you posted this as I was driving from Hinckley to Worcester last weekend and I set my cruise control to 56mph. I was quite surprised by the number of cars that seemed to follow me at the same speed with no attempt to overtake. 

20 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Coincidental that you posted this as I was driving from Hinckley to Worcester last weekend and I set my cruise control to 56mph. I was quite surprised by the number of cars that seemed to follow me at the same speed with no attempt to overtake. 

Like you, cruise control set for about 57/58mph on motorways. I try and match the speed of any HGV in my vicinity. 

I have also spotted cars following me at the same speed.

As for OPs comment about big german cars chilling out, yep thats me. Podcast/music. Chill/relax get away from it all. Saves 20-25% on fuel for an additional 10-20mins driving.

On 04/07/2022 at 22:13, HighPeakFox said:

Similar thing happened to me last week. Car in lane 2 of 4 on motorway driving erratically.  Pull alongside to overtake , guys messing about on his phone.  My missus who was driving paps her horn at him. He sits up suddenly all startled, then gives me a W gesture.  

13 minutes ago, isaidno said:

Similar thing happened to me last week. Car in lane 2 of 4 on motorway driving erratically.  Pull alongside to overtake , guys messing about on his phone.  My missus who was driving paps her horn at him. He sits up suddenly all startled, then gives me a W gesture.  

Yes, definitely your fault for having the cheek to catch him out.

On the subject of cruise control, I set mine at 77 (74 according to Google). Very economical still at 2k revs and not a problem with the speed guns either.

Am I the only one who sets cruise control to 90? :whistle:

My brother once got pulled over on the M1 for doing 90, copper said "someone hit a cow on this stretch of road at 90mph and died"

My brother just said "So, if he was doing 70, you're telling me he'd have been OK?" 

lol

Being a dickhead runs in the family.

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

Am I the only one who sets cruise control to 90? :whistle:

My brother once got pulled over on the M1 for doing 90, copper said "someone hit a cow on this stretch of road at 90mph and died"

My brother just said "So, if he was doing 70, you're telling me he'd have been OK?" 

lol

Being a dickhead runs in the family.

You’re the kind of guy I shout “I hope he’s in a rush to somewhere good because he’ll kill himself or someone one day” too.

Edited by Benguin
  • Haha 1

On 04/07/2022 at 17:13, HighPeakFox said:

I really don't understand why you'd want to get involved. Being a hero for a second really doesn't help your psyche

1 hour ago, Smudge said:

I really don't understand why you'd want to get involved. Being a hero for a second really doesn't help your psyche

I understand your comment, but I wasn't trying in any way to be a hero - I didn't want a feckless arse to drive into my car.

18 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I understand your comment, but I wasn't trying in any way to be a hero - I didn't want a feckless arse to drive into my car.

I understand HPF, What you did is almost the same as what I would be thinking but we ain't very sensible are we? We let these fools take over what we should really ignore.

5 hours ago, Smudge said:

I understand HPF, What you did is almost the same as what I would be thinking but we ain't very sensible are we? We let these fools take over what we should really ignore.

Again, you're right in general, but I thought that waking him up might be a better idea than risking him swerving into me. I just think I slightly disagreed with your characterising my actions as 'being a hero', but on reflection you might well be right that it would have been wiser just to drive on by.

• Like 1