Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

Moaning old c*** having a go at me for cycling very slowly past him on a section of pavement clearly marked as shared use and not using the separate 5 yard cycle lane that's clearly for cyclists choosing to cycle on the road to not have to go through the traffic calming chicane.

There's a lot about that generation I'm not going to miss when they go

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Moaning old c*** having a go at me for cycling very slowly past him on a section of pavement clearly marked as shared use and not using the separate 5 yard cycle lane that's clearly for cyclists choosing to cycle on the road to not have to go through the traffic calming chicane.

There's a lot about that generation I'm not going to miss when they go

I don't blame you. I almost got ran over at a chicane today at which I had right of way going in my direction. First by a lady in a 4x4 speeding, trying to get through before I got there and failing, and second by the the taxi blindly following the car in front, assuming he can go just because she did. You have to take a command position but this time it wasn't enough. They were willing to run me down rather than stop and give way.

47 minutes ago, MustardTiger said:

I don't blame you. I almost got ran over at a chicane today at which I had right of way going in my direction. First by a lady in a 4x4 speeding, trying to get through before I got there and failing, and second by the the taxi blindly following the car in front, assuming he can go just because she did. You have to take a command position but this time it wasn't enough. They were willing to run me down rather than stop and give way.

Oh gawd, I hate that weird de-humanising thing that some drivers do with cyclists where they do a manoeuvre that they'd never do in a million years if you were driving a car rather than on a bike. You're more likely to kill them, there's more at stake, not less!

edit: SOME drivers

Edited by Bellend Sebastian

I know it's been said before but drivers on their phones these days.

Yesterday I was behind Luton-style van for a while that kept weaving halfway over into the hard shoulder. If you keep doing that, you'd think it would be enough to jolt the driver into sense and they would put their phone down but no, when I overtook it the driver was still glancing down at the phone in their hand.

• Like 1

Car crash right in front of me about 20 minutes ago, unsurprisingly a BMW at fault

At a roundabout and going onto it they either didn’t bother looking/slowing down or chanced it and messed it up, car already on the roundabout straight into the BMW’s front right

30 minutes ago, Daggers said:

The slow moving dicks are back out there today - upsetting everyone apart from the government and fuel companies. So, in effect, achieving absolutely nothing. Arseholes. 

Sticking it to the man by increasing demand for the commodity you're furious about being too expensive

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, adam1 said:

Silver audi a46. Slow traffic due to a tractor. So audi was right up the arse of the car in front. Then undertook to jump one space ahead and then go up to the bumper of the next car. And repeat.

This sort of driving is ridiculously stupid. I get it often where I get some twat in whatever flashy car, that tailgates and then risks all to overtake at the earliest opportunity only for me to pull up alongside them at the next set of traffic lights.

Actually this brings back an incident that occurred whilst I was on duty several years ago. I was driving back to base on a country road near Lutterworth, stuck 3 cars back behind a JCB. Obviously we had to travel at the same speed as the JCB. In my mirrors I saw a car pull out of the queue behind me. He accelerated in an attempt to overtake the vehicles ahead of him as well as the JCB. We were approaching a slight right hand bend. He almost made it but, at the bend a car came the other way. The collision wasn't quite head on but enough to entrap both drivers and cause significant injuries to both parties.

14 hours ago, Parafox said:

This sort of driving is ridiculously stupid. I get it often where I get some twat in whatever flashy car, that tailgates and then risks all to overtake at the earliest opportunity only for me to pull up alongside them at the next set of traffic lights.

Actually this brings back an incident that occurred whilst I was on duty several years ago. I was driving back to base on a country road near Lutterworth, stuck 3 cars back behind a JCB. Obviously we had to travel at the same speed as the JCB. In my mirrors I saw a car pull out of the queue behind me. He accelerated in an attempt to overtake the vehicles ahead of him as well as the JCB. We were approaching a slight right hand bend. He almost made it but, at the bend a car came the other way. The collision wasn't quite head on but enough to entrap both drivers and cause significant injuries to both parties.

All to save a minute at most.

Not worth it at all.

Roundabouts without lane markings. When turning right onto another road at such a junction, when are you meant to change from the right hand lane over to the left? Doing it on the roundabout itself often causes honks from cars behind, and waiting until you have got on to the right hand lane of exit road means that faster accelerating cars have tendancy to 'undertake'. So neither of the options is great. 

18 hours ago, adam1 said:

Silver audi a46. Slow traffic due to a tractor. So audi was right up the arse of the car in front. Then undertook to jump one space ahead and then go up to the bumper of the next car. And repeat.

I would like to see the driver an Audi pick an argument with a tractor. Especially one with an unpleasant cargo in tow, like a tanker-load of slurry!

A car overtaking towards me. They wanted to get past a slow moving truck going uphill and presumably didn't look (or couldn't see) I quite literally had to pull over and come to a halt to allow them the space  needed otherwise it would have been a head-on.