Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

All the Australians.  Can't merge for shit.

I was followed all the way to the hospital by an irate prune last night when I went to collect the wife. My crime was not letting him filter in along with the previous van. Well, that and laughing at his little red shouty face.

• Haha 4

People moan about the speed humps in New Lubbesthorpe, which is essentially one VERY straight piece of quiet road, a bend, and then another VERY straight piece of road. It's dead annoying at times, especially the eejits doing 5mph over them, but imagine that road with these dimwits. It'd be prime street racing material (that and people doing the road at 70)

I may just be getting old and grumpy but there should be a legal decibel limit on exhausts. Some of the ones on motorbikes rattle my furniture when they go past and if you're outside when one goes past they're almost deafening. 

Should be a check on MOTs for it at a certain revs, and also police allowed to do spot checks like they do with tinted  window glass. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I may just be getting old and grumpy but there should be a legal decibel limit on exhausts. Some of the ones on motorbikes rattle my furniture when they go past and if you're outside when one goes past they're almost deafening. 

Should be a check on MOTs for it at a certain revs, and also police allowed to do spot checks like they do with tinted  window glass. 

I brought this up in the Motobikes are brilliant thread.

I didn't get much sympathy.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The Bear said:

From a Google search:

In the UK, the noise limit for a motorbike is set at 80dB, with an extra 6dB added to account for mechanical noise. This figure matches the 80dB maximum allowed for in European homologation rules, but this is measured in a very specific way as a ride-by at 50kph.

The problem seems to be there are products available on the open market to make bike exhausts louder, or you simply remove the muffler and drill some holes in it.

Edited by Parafox

The trouble with having a standard exhaust on a motorbike means you're much more likely to have pedestrians walk out in front of you when you're filtering in traffic, or cars not checking their wing mirrors before changing lanes. I've never had quiet exhausts on my bikes for that reason, and I would imagine it's also a reason why a lot of other regular riders do. People driving like idiots is a different matter - what seems more ridiculous is the straight-through exhaust that all the kids put on 4-stroke 125s. Some of them are deafening, and it's heightened by the fact that a 125 4-stroke engine sounds like utter dogshit in the first place

3 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

The trouble with having a standard exhaust on a motorbike means you're much more likely to have pedestrians walk out in front of you when you're filtering in traffic, or cars not checking their wing mirrors before changing lanes. I've never had quiet exhausts on my bikes for that reason, and I would imagine it's also a reason why a lot of other regular riders do. People driving like idiots is a different matter - what seems more ridiculous is the straight-through exhaust that all the kids put on 4-stroke 125s. Some of them are deafening, and it's heightened by the fact that a 125 4-stroke engine sounds like utter dogshit in the first place

These are REALLY annoying. I can appreciate the sound of a 1000cc + motorbike opening throttle. But those 125's with L plates on... horrible high pitch tinny noise with no actual power. And they ride like twats. I saw one earlier overtake a car by going the wrong way round a pedestrian refuge.

Actually went to a fatal a few years ago where a 125 with L plates tried to overtake an HGV on the exit from a roundabout, in attempting to accelerate, his little lightweight bike lost grip on the gravelly surface and tipped him off under the trailer wheels of the HGV. His head was crushed inside his helmet.

• Sad 1

Driving through some villages on my way home, bit of traffic backed up down going the opposite way to me down a long road

Idiots on the other side of the road decide that during this slow moving traffic that they shall not leave gaps to allow cars on my side of the road to go around parked cars, so it all backs and basically becomes gridlock until they realise they have to scuff their alloys bumping their cars up the kerb to create space to let things start moving

On 10/08/2022 at 13:20, Footballwipe said:

People moan about the speed humps in New Lubbesthorpe, which is essentially one VERY straight piece of quiet road, a bend, and then another VERY straight piece of road. It's dead annoying at times, especially the eejits doing 5mph over them, but imagine that road with these dimwits. It'd be prime street racing material (that and people doing the road at 70)

They were not part of the original plan, there should be traffic calming measures but not speed bumps. 

Whether they are replaced once the development has been completed is another matter.

(Assume speed bumps easier for trucks then chicanes etc).

21 hours ago, adam1 said:

They were not part of the original plan, there should be traffic calming measures but not speed bumps. 

Whether they are replaced once the development has been completed is another matter.

Personally I'm a fan of the speed bumps that are slightly narrower than the width between the tyres so most vehicles can go over without much problem when positioned correctly.

So, you can just sail over at 25-30 mph but most people won't risk going faster than that in case you do get things slightly out and you smash your exhaust off.

• Like 1

On 12/08/2022 at 12:39, adam1 said:

Speed bumps are easier for trucks but when I had my HGV 1 lessons I was taken along the road near Beaumont Leys police station that has about 4 chicanes and I can testify that a decent driver will get an articulated truck and trailer through them and without the tyres touching the kerbs.

Edited by Parafox

On 03/08/2022 at 19:06, adam1 said:

Silver audi a46. Slow traffic due to a tractor. So audi was right up the arse of the car in front. Then undertook to jump one space ahead and then go up to the bumper of the next car. And repeat.

Another audi.....!

Slow moving part of A1. I can see him behind me cutting in and up to the rear of the car behind me (why, they can't go anywhere). Then goes to do the same. But I slow to block the gap and to match the speed of the slowly moving lane.

He is spewing, bouncing up and down as he is now stuck and cant get out as the car he is undertaking has closed the gap. 😄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, adam1 said:

Another audi.....!

Slow moving part of A1. I can see him behind me cutting in and up to the rear of the car behind me (why, they can't go anywhere). Then goes to do the same. But I slow to block the gap and to match the speed of the slowly moving lane.

He is spewing, bouncing up and down as he is now stuck and cant get out as the car he is undertaking has closed the gap. 😄

Assuming from the fact that this was written in the present tense, you were texting/posting whilst driving which ironically is a common complaint in respect to "something on the roads that has annoyed you today"

18 hours ago, Line-X said:

Assuming from the fact that this was written in the present tense, you were texting/posting whilst driving which ironically is a common complaint in respect to "something on the roads that has annoyed you today"

Grammar nazi!!!!

Getting petrol from Costco, must be a queue of about 50 cars all the way back to the car park entrance. Some bloke fills up his shite chavved up car then instead of moving off spends the next 10 minutes talking to a passenger from another car while everyone else waits. Honestly despair with some of the thick selfish cvnts about. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

Getting petrol from Costco, must be a queue of about 50 cars all the way back to the car park entrance. Some bloke fills up his shite chavved up car then instead of moving off spends the next 10 minutes talking to a passenger from another car while everyone else waits. Honestly despair with some of the thick selfish cvnts about. 

Nothing more annoying than people spending ages to pull away from petrol stations. Fair enough have 30 secs to sort yourself out, make sure your sat nav is back on etc, but some people just don't care.