Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

15 hours ago, Ian W LCFC said:

Nothing more annoying than people spending ages to pull away from petrol stations. Fair enough have 30 secs to sort yourself out, make sure your sat nav is back on etc, but some people just don't care.

A pet hate for many.

What makes me laugh is when people queue for a specific side because they are too stupid to understand the concept of the hose reaching the other side.

Last Tuesday due to a car fire on the A38 near Burton it took me around 45 minutes to travel about 3 miles

Yesterday on my way into work there was another car fire on the A38 on the slip road near to where I work, took me nearly 1 hour to go 1 mile

Then on my way home yesterday a wide load thought it would be a good idea to drive through Repton, which is mainly just really small tight village roads, had to sit for 20-30 mins because he basically turned the middle of Repton into gridlock

Edited by moore_94

6 hours ago, adam1 said:

A pet hate for many.

What makes me laugh is when people queue for a specific side because they are too stupid to understand the concept of the hose reaching the other side.

This makes me want to shout at them. I make a real point of "demonstrating" that the hose will reach the other side of their car. Really infuriating, probably more than it should be but it results in unnecessary queues. I find it's mainly the elderly and women who tend to do this. 

2 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Last Tuesday due to a car fire on the A38 near Burton it took me around 45 minutes to travel about 3 miles

Yesterday on my way into work there was another car fire on the A38 on the slip road near to where I work, took me nearly 1 hour to go 1 mile

Then on my way home yesterday a wide load thought it would be a good idea to drive through Repton, which is mainly just really small tight village roads, had to sit for 20-30 mins because he basically turned the middle of Repton into gridlock

Maybe the wide load he was delivering required him to drive through Repton?

8 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Maybe the wide load he was delivering required him to drive through Repton?

I had to follow him on from where he got stuck and with where he was going there was definitely a wider road in Repton he could've gone down to get to the same place that wouldn't have caused so much trouble

Seems like he managed to go down the worst road he could've

5 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I had to follow him on from where he got stuck and with where he was going there was definitely a wider road in Repton he could've gone down to get to the same place that wouldn't have caused so much trouble

Seems like he managed to go down the worst road he could've

I understand.

May I relate an embarrassing incident that hapenned to me when I was driving HGV's on my days off? Trying to get to a distribution centre . The Satnav guided me into a village on a road with a weight limit. I saw the weight limit sign and tried to find a place to turn the truck around. There wasn't one apart from a roundabout on the other side of the village which I negotiated and headed back the way I'd come. At a junction I needed to turn left out of the village. There was a pub on the corner and a set of pedestrian barriers on the kerbside. . I'd successfully negotiated this on the way out as it was then a right turn, Trying to get a 40ft truck and trailer to make a left turn can mean a wide turn. However there wasn't room for this so I just did what I could to get as far over as I could. I started to make the turn but the angles were wrong and the trailer caught the barriers. The noise brought folk out of the pub. I decided to just go for it and carry on. As I made the turn, in my mirrors I could see the trailer pushing the barriers over to 45deg and the trailer wheels mounting the kerb. 

I didn't stop. I just hoped nobody got my reg or the company name I was driving for. Never heard anything so I escaped.

Driving down Havelock St. There was the usual long queue to my left to get into the LRI car park. The car in front of us then took advantage of a small gap in the queue to try and queue jump.

This then caused those of us just driving down the road to bunch up behind her.

When I drew level with her I had a go about queue jumping.

Oh! I didn't realise she said. :facepalm:

We live on a new build estate which is still unfinished, no road markings or such. Our house is off a cul-de-sac type road. Leaving for work the other day and I'm coming down the cul-de-sac, indicator on to turn left off the estate. As I am a woman is coming down the opposite side of the road from the newer part of the estate towards me. As we approach the junction I turn, coming off what is like an elevated cobbled like section which distinguishes the start of the cul-de-sac. As I'm going round the junction she continues to turn as well ending up alongside me on the wrong side of the road, waving her arms and mouthing off through the window. I lowered my window to politely (maybe not) tell her that she is in the wrong as she's coming across traffic. In return I got a lot of how I'm arrogant and don't know how to drive, as I'm coming out of the cul-de-sac I'm not on the road so don't have right of way, and that I accelerated in to the junction as I was going slow as I came off the cobbled part and picked up speed to turn :doh:

Now I'm pretty sure I did nothing wrong as this is the only incident I've had in the year we've been here, needless to say I was in a great mood for the rest of my drive.

On 17/08/2022 at 23:12, adejo92 said:

Something that really annoys me is when people indicate at the very last second like what good is that? Somehow, it's even more annoying than people that don't indicate at all.

Too early gets me, 200m with an indicator on going past turn after turn after turn before they finally turn off. It's like a game of guess when!

• Haha 1

On 16/08/2022 at 21:30, Ian W LCFC said:

Nothing more annoying than people spending ages to pull away from petrol stations. Fair enough have 30 secs to sort yourself out, make sure your sat nav is back on etc, but some people just don't care.

Even worse now a lot have mini supermarkets within them, I waited 20 mins at Tesco Clifton notts once stuck with a guy behind me. Then the interbred fekker trundles out with two bags of shopping and pisses about putting it away in his boot!

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

The absolute Einstein who set up the temporary traffic lights between Kirby and Glenfield.

Right by a signal controlled junction.

One side cannot move because oncoming traffic hits the junction, gets stopped on red and then blocks the route when the other side goes green.

Its not like you couldn't predict it is it?

4 hours ago, adam1 said:

The absolute Einstein who set up the temporary traffic lights between Kirby and Glenfield.

Right by a signal controlled junction.

One side cannot move because oncoming traffic hits the junction, gets stopped on red and then blocks the route when the other side goes green.

Its not like you couldn't predict it is it?

Traffic light systems and how they're programmed annoy me in general. 

You'll get one direction which switches to red the moment it senses the tiniest gap in the traffic. Yet you sit there waiting whilst large gaps in traffic in the other direction go by with the lights not changing back. 

• Like 1

On 31/08/2022 at 14:03, The Bear said:

Traffic light systems and how they're programmed annoy me in general. 

You'll get one direction which switches to red the moment it senses the tiniest gap in the traffic. Yet you sit there waiting whilst large gaps in traffic in the other direction go by with the lights not changing back. 

I never understood the programming. Used to have a semi regular issue in the morning at the King Richards Road / Fosse Road junction when heading into Leicester. 

Traffic would back right up to the row of shops on Hinckley Road (where the explosion was) because for some reason the lights were only turning green for a matter of seconds and not the usual length of time.

This was a few years ago and I now live in a diff area so no longer commute that way. But absolutely frustrating when it happened.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think I’ve posted about this before, but I’m going to again because it’s bonkers.

Why when there’s a lane closing in 800 yards (clearly signed) do people start queuing?

Today’s scenario -

Two lanes merging from the a45 on to the a46 just past Coventry airport. 3 lanes on the a46, the left of the mergin lane becomes lane 1, the second merging lane merges into the left lane which at the merge becomes the middle lane. 

Almost everyone approaching the traffic merging was sat in the left lane, slowing down the merging traffic. The third lane which was due to close in 800 yards was completely clear. I eventually got into the middle lane, pulled into the third and pottered along to the point where the lane closed and merged in. This is the correct way to drive. It keeps the traffic moving and ultimately everyone gets through much much quicker.

On the same subject, why do people think that blocking or slowing the lane that’s closing is doing everyone a favour? Annoyingly these people are often lorry or van drivers - self proclaimed professional drivers… the best on the road.

25 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

I think I’ve posted about this before, but I’m going to again because it’s bonkers.

Why when there’s a lane closing in 800 yards (clearly signed) do people start queuing?

Today’s scenario -

Two lanes merging from the a45 on to the a46 just past Coventry airport. 3 lanes on the a46, the left of the mergin lane becomes lane 1, the second merging lane merges into the left lane which at the merge becomes the middle lane. 

Almost everyone approaching the traffic merging was sat in the left lane, slowing down the merging traffic. The third lane which was due to close in 800 yards was completely clear. I eventually got into the middle lane, pulled into the third and pottered along to the point where the lane closed and merged in. This is the correct way to drive. It keeps the traffic moving and ultimately everyone gets through much much quicker.

On the same subject, why do people think that blocking or slowing the lane that’s closing is doing everyone a favour? Annoyingly these people are often lorry or van drivers - self proclaimed professional drivers… the best on the road.

If people would just merge in turn, it would be fine, but they don't.  Drivers coming down lane 3 and then selfishly "pushing in front" to get into lane 2 ahead of those who've been queueing is annoying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

If people would just merge in turn, it would be fine, but they don't.  Drivers coming down lane 3 and then selfishly "pushing in front" to get into lane 2 ahead of those who've been queueing is annoying.

How is it selfish? It’s the correct way to drive. So does a lane closure in 800 yards actually mean move left immediately?

The problem today was compounded by the fact traffic trying to get on the a46 was up against a line of traffic that refuses to move into an empty 3rd lane that’s perfectly good for 800 yards. 

I don’t agree with using the third lane and hitting 70mph, but absolutely no problem with doing a safe 30mph to protect the donuts on the left.

29 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

The traffic around the new Fosse park area was horrendous yesterday. 4 directions people were trying to get into it causing massive queues. 

Someone must have received a nice big brown envelope to get the current layout passed through. 

Soulsby as usual.

Driving slowly in queuing traffic through my village, my side of the road is clear of parked cars the other side isn’t, so I hold back from the car in front to let a few oncoming cars out around the parked up cars, I now have a clear road in front of me and begin to pull forward only to be met by another oncoming car pulling out around the parked car onto my side of the road, I stop and look at the driver who is hurling abuse at me, he was so angry I thought his head would explode! 
Id done nothing wrong at all and yet was obviously to blame for some misdemeanour in his selfish tiny mind. 

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

Stupid new pedestrian crossing about 20 yards from another one on the Welford Rd / University Road junction. 

Yes, and it even stops both ways for absolutely no reason. I hate that end of welford road it looks disgusting 

• Like 1

The new bus lane on the A50 Groby Road going towards Blackbird road caused a complete stand-still back up to the cemetery last night, I'm guessing it got worse as the evening drew on. Not one bus, and if there was a bus it would have been stuck in the 1 mile traffic queuing to get to the bus lane. A timed bus lane would be better, No bus lane would be even better.

• Like 2