Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

On 19/11/2022 at 09:12, Raj said:

Speed awareness course...beats 3 points on the licence...

Having done one, I'd rather the 3 points and the fine.

It was horrendous. 

The guy just sat there and said "Theres no point in speeding. You won't get there any quicker."

I don't think he understands physics.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, tom27111 said:

It was horrendous. 

The guy just sat there and said "Theres no point in speeding. You won't get there any quicker."

The bloke when I did mine broke it down, and 10mph extra over a small/medium distance saves something like 1-2 min. Probably what he meant but just didn't say it properly. 

3 hours ago, tom27111 said:

It was horrendous. 

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

The bloke when I did mine broke it down, and 10mph extra over a small/medium distance saves something like 1-2 min. Probably what he meant but just didn't say it properly. 

When I first did my blue light driving course many years back, the instructor gave us this:

If you drive from Leicester to London at 80mph rather than the limit of 70mph, you'll arrive 9 mins sooner. 

Is it really worth it? Anyway, motorway traffic is never straight A to B in terms of the actual speed you can travel. There are always variations.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Parafox said:

When I first did my blue light driving course many years back, the instructor gave us this:

If you drive from Leicester to London at 80mph rather than the limit of 70mph, you'll arrive 9 mins sooner. 

Is it really worth it? Anyway, motorway traffic is never straight A to B in terms of the actual speed you can travel. There are always variations.

When I have to go to London I generally drive as slowly as possible, just to put it off

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

This made me laugh:

Barford pleaded guilty to 11 charges under the Fraud Act for making the false documents. He was fined £846 for fabricating the delivery notes, and charged a further £677 in costs, £630 in compensation and also ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £85, totalling £2,200.

The 11 parking fines would have cost Barford just £35 each if he had paid them within 14 days of being issued. In total, the cost would have been £385.

Twat.

Edited by Parafox

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Just got a PCN from Birmingham Council for going into a "clean air zone" without paying a fee. 

Who even knew you had to. Drove the same way to the same car park I always use. Now I'm out £60 and I'm never visiting that city again. lol

I only know its existence because we have offices in Birm and have been told about it. If it wasnt for that, I probably wouldnt have known.

There is soon to be one in Sheffield - although not for private cars. 

11 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Just got a PCN from Birmingham Council for going into a "clean air zone" without paying a fee. 

Who even knew you had to. Drove the same way to the same car park I always use. Now I'm out £60 and I'm never visiting that city again. lol

5 minutes ago, adam1 said:

I only know its existence because we have offices in Birm and have been told about it. If it wasnt for that, I probably wouldnt have known.

There is soon to be one in Sheffield - although not for private cars. 

Been in force since June 2021.

What is it: A daily Clean Air Zone (CAZ) charge for drivers of older petrol and diesel cars to enter the limits of the city ring road.

When is it going to be introduced: Enforced from 1 June 2021

Vehicles charged: Buses, coaches, taxis, PHVs, HGVs LGVs and car drivers. 

Cost to car drivers:  £8 daily charge if a diesel car isn't Euro 6 or petrol isn't at least Euro 4.

Just Google clean air or congestion charges UK and you'll get a list of those places that charge, and which vehicles are exempt.

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

What is it: A daily Clean Air Zone (CAZ) charge for drivers of older petrol and diesel cars to enter the limits of the city ring road.

Cost to car drivers:  £8 daily charge if a diesel car isn't Euro 6 or petrol isn't at least Euro 4.

Just Google clean air or congestion charges UK and you'll get a list of those places that charge, and which vehicles are exempt.

Yeah, London we know about as its in the news (surprise, surprise, the media is london centric). 

But Bristol? Birmingham? 

I knew of Sheff as there are signs when you drive up the M1 (courtesy of Stockport 0-0 in the league cup). Even though it doesn't apply to private cars.

Full list is here. London, Birmingham, Bristol charge private cars. The others do not.

• Bath
  • Birmingham
  • Bradford
  • Bristol
  • Greater Manchester (under review)
  • Portsmouth
  • Sheffield (charging starts in early 2023)
  • Tyneside - Newcastle and Gateshead (charging starts on 30 January 2023)

Edit:

Forgot to add the london ulez is expanding in August to all London boroughs.

Edited by adam1

3 hours ago, Parafox said:

That's great and all but it shouldn't take a fine to find out about. Why isn't the first offense met with a letter informing of the charge and a small penalty for the cost of a letter? £60 is taking the piss, and makes it look like just a money making scheme for the council.

1 hour ago, adam1 said:

Yeah, London we know about as its in the news (surprise, surprise, the media is london centric). 

But Bristol? Birmingham? 

I knew of Sheff as there are signs when you drive up the M1 (courtesy of Stockport 0-0 in the league cup). Even though it doesn't apply to private cars.

Full list is here. London, Birmingham, Bristol charge private cars. The others do not.

• Bath
  • Birmingham
  • Bradford
  • Bristol
  • Greater Manchester (under review)
  • Portsmouth
  • Sheffield (charging starts in early 2023)
  • Tyneside - Newcastle and Gateshead (charging starts on 30 January 2023)

Edit:

Forgot to add the london ulez is expanding in August to all London boroughs.

I had no idea about any of them but booked parking in Birmingham for Peter Kay, did a Google maps route and it mentioned it. 

7 hours ago, Innovindil said:

That's great and all but it shouldn't take a fine to find out about. Why isn't the first offense met with a letter informing of the charge and a small penalty for the cost of a letter? £60 is taking the piss, and makes it look like just a money making scheme for the council.

I just got done for it - I knew but of course I managed to forget for a number of reasons. I think the practice of forcing a memory otherwise you get a nasty fine is borderline immoral, so I responded with an apology, a willingness to pay the original charge but an objection to a system that looks rather like a cheap money-gathering exercise.

I do not expect it to succeed, but it needs contesting on principle.

I don't know if this driver was just a plain unconfident driver, scared of the car they were driving or something else, but yesterday I followed someone from Narborough through Forest Road, up the country lane past Next and then all the way up Beggars Lane until New Lubbesthorpe.

In the 30mph zone they didn't go over 25

In the 60 zone they didn't go over 30

Every time a car came on the opposite side of the road they either touched or hit their brake

Absolutely infuriating

• Like 2

11 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

I had no idea about any of them but booked parking in Birmingham for Peter Kay, did a Google maps route and it mentioned it. 

It also mentions it with a bloody big sign as soon as you hit the Birmingham inner ring road from the two main incoming junctions off the M6....

12 hours ago, Innovindil said:

When the letter arrives there is an option to pay retrospectively if it's your first penalty charge.

If a vehicle which does not meet the required emission standards is caught on camera driving in the Clean Air Zone and does not make payment by 11:59pm on the sixth day after the date the vehicle was issued in the zone, a Penalty Charge Notice will be sent to the registered keeper of the vehicle.

There are signs on the roads into Birmingham advising of the CAZ. It's difficult to miss them.

Birmingham Clean Air Zone penalties - how to appeal if you were wrongly  fined - Birmingham Live

BTW I'm not defending this policy, just pointing out it's not a secret.

Edited by Parafox

32 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

I don't know if this driver was just a plain unconfident driver, scared of the car they were driving or something else, but yesterday I followed someone from Narborough through Forest Road, up the country lane past Next and then all the way up Beggars Lane until New Lubbesthorpe.

Every time a car came on the opposite side of the road they either touched or hit their brake

Absolutely infuriating

I see those drivers all the time. 

As well as those you're behind at a junction, and they have to wait until there's an absolutely huge gap to pull out into, instead of nipping out quickly in a smaller one as I madly wave "go, go!!" behind them time after time :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Absolutely infuriating

See this almost on a daily basis. 

It really makes you wonder how some people actually pass a test.

I know they say 'It's a limit, not a target", but unless conditions are dangerous, there's no excuse for doing under 40 in a 60.

I've been cut up three times today on roundabouts, literally just people that can't be arsed to wait.

Had to slam on the brakes every time.

Every single one of them was in a car that's almost brand new.

I wish my instincts weren't as good as they are, I'll take one of the bastards out.

As I've said before, I'm in 3 tonnes of metal that isn't mine.

I've also got dashcams focused on the road and on me, so it'll prove my innocence. 

It's absolutely incredible that these people think they can take on a transit van.

It's a rarity if it doesn't happen at least once a day.

Leaving our village, there’s a line of four-ish cars parked on the right. This means leavers have right of way - but not according to the brand new German car drivers. I’ve taken to just sitting calmly in the road until the entitled Merc, BWM and Audi drivers reverse back & I can continue on my journey. It happens so often it barely registers now. I’m in no hurry, I can sit there all day.

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

I know they say 'It's a limit, not a target", but unless conditions are dangerous, there's no excuse for doing under 40 in a 60.

That's just what old people say. Nowadays people are taught to drive to the speed limit or just below it, so you don't create traffic behind you. They say at least 35mph in a 40 zone. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Bear said:

That's just what old people say. Nowadays people are taught to drive to the speed limit or just below it, so you don't create traffic behind you. They say at least 35mph in a 40 zone. 

I was always taught to demonstrate that you have the capability to drive at the speed limit, so I'd sit at 59mph on a 60 lol

So how are these people on the road? 

My car was broken into.

Even though it was locked someone screwdrived the plastic coating off so they could somehow pick the lock (ford fusion drivers beware).

No intention of stealing the vehicle, just looking for valuables which is common practice these days.

Thing is theres not much i can do to stop it happening again just got to be certain to leave nothing of value in there.

• Like 1