Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

On 09/12/2022 at 18:00, tom27111 said:

See this almost on a daily basis. 

It really makes you wonder how some people actually pass a test.

I know they say 'It's a limit, not a target", but unless conditions are dangerous, there's no excuse for doing under 40 in a 60.

I was going to say the same.

My two gripes from today:

1) Saw a very old chap and a woman in a Waitrose car park earlier (830am). Car park is empty. She had to wave him into a space.....

Will probably be the type of driver as quoted above. 

More importantly, if they no longer have the basic skills/ability to pass a driving test (parking between lines is surely one of them) then they are a danger to themselves and others on the road. 

2) Joining M1 north at J21 coming from Fosse Park.

Car joining the M1 at less then 40. Then once joined, was [very] slowly picking up speed to just about 60mph. WHAT ARE THEY DOING. They were going so slow that they could have accelrated as there was no one joining in front of them - they had all joined at the correct speed.

• Like 1

Just now, adam1 said:

I was going to say the same.

My two gripes from today:

1) Saw a very old chap and a woman in a Waitrose car park earlier (830am). Car park is empty. She had to wave him into a space.....

Will probably be the type of driver as quoted above. 

More importantly, if they no longer have the basic skills/ability to pass a driving test (parking between lines is surely one of them) then they are a danger to themselves and others on the road. 

2) Joining M1 north at J21 coming from Fosse Park.

Car joining the M1 at less then 40. Then once joined, was [very] slowly picking up speed to just about 60mph. WHAT ARE THEY DOING. They were going so slow that they could have accelrated as there was no one joining in front of them - they had all joined at the correct speed.

I know the police are stretched to their limits, but if they witness shit like this, people should be charged with driving without due care and attention.

Easy as that.

They must see it as much as we do?

17 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I know the police are stretched to their limits, but if they witness shit like this, people should be charged with driving without due care and attention.

Easy as that.

They must see it as much as we do?

The old age issue is a big one for me.

I've witnessed an old person going around a junction (roundabout) the wrong way, exiting towards oncoming traffic. The look on their face as they went past me, it was like confusion, that they didnt know what was happening or what they were doing.

Edit: clairified it was a roundabout

Edited by adam1

2 minutes ago, adam1 said:

The old age issue is a big one for me.

I've witnessed an old person going around a junction (roundabout) the wrong way, exiting towards oncoming traffic. The look on their face as they went past me, it was like confusion, that they didnt know what was happening or what they were doing.

Edit: clairified it was a roundabout

I've had a guy over 80 years old driving towards me on the motorway, he was on the wrong carriageway!

Looked at me like I was in the wrong.

These things only make the news if people die, but I reckon it happens more than you think.

27 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Standard of driving I see on a regular basis is shocking, speeding, failing to indicate, people on phones, cutting corners, tailgating, impatience and intolerance daily.

And that's just Amazon drivers @tom27111 :P

(not true btw. It's ****ing taxi drivers)

Edited by Parafox
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

How do electric cabs in London have enough charge to go around all day 

A top end battery will give you around 300 mile range.

Even a lower end one will give you about 130 miles.

But if you find a rapid charge point, it can top you up from zero to 80% in half an hour.

Edited by tom27111

8 minutes ago, Parafox said:

And that's just Amazon drivers @tom27111 :P

(not true btw. It's ****ing taxi drivers)

I wasn't great today, mate.

Ice. 

Horrible. 

Especially in the estate I was in, houses so packed in, minimal sun on the roads to melt the ice/frost.

Then getting out of the van was more hazardous, nearly did the splits about 3 times lol

Just now, Parafox said:

But surely an athlete like you can manage that and get up and behave like nothing has happened. lol

Styled it out...got a round of applause because some kids thought I was spontaneously break dancing lol

Can't imagine how you drove at high speeds in an ambulance when the roads are like this.

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

How do electric cabs in London have enough charge to go around all day anyone know?

The slower you drive the more efficient you are. So crawling around London at sub 30 all day would be a piece of piss. Anything over 200 mile range. 

Plus they can go and give it a quick charge for 30 mins to top it up if needed. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 2

Not so much of an annoyance more intrigue, but was driving in to Leicester along the A50 yesterday around 1pm and when I got to the Glenfield roundabout (near the Council building), there was a single deck bus that appeared to have mounted the curb of the roundabout and ended up with the whole of its chassis on the roundabout and the cab facing the centre as if the driver had failed to brake and gone straight across the junction into the roundabout. I had never noticed that the roundabout wasn't flat and the front wheels appeared to be lower than the back so I was wondering how the heck they would recover it given it's weight and the fact that the surface is grass. 

I left Leicester about an hour later and took the same route back and saw that the bus was still there. What puzzled me was that the bus was a good 15 feet to the right of the junction entry onto the roundabout as if the bus had somehow turned right! That really confused me, as I can't imagine that the bus company employ someone so incompetent that they'd turn right into the traffic at a roundabout thereby endangering passengers and other road users, and even though the temperatures were low and the roads potentially icy I can't envisage a bus spinning 90 degrees and the driver continuing to depress the accelerator to drive straight into the roundabout. 

Anyone see this yesterday or know how the bus ended up where it did? 

10 minutes ago, ian__marshall said:

Not so much of an annoyance more intrigue, but was driving in to Leicester along the A50 yesterday around 1pm and when I got to the Glenfield roundabout (near the Council building), there was a single deck bus that appeared to have mounted the curb of the roundabout and ended up with the whole of its chassis on the roundabout and the cab facing the centre as if the driver had failed to brake and gone straight across the junction into the roundabout. I had never noticed that the roundabout wasn't flat and the front wheels appeared to be lower than the back so I was wondering how the heck they would recover it given it's weight and the fact that the surface is grass. 

I left Leicester about an hour later and took the same route back and saw that the bus was still there. What puzzled me was that the bus was a good 15 feet to the right of the junction entry onto the roundabout as if the bus had somehow turned right! That really confused me, as I can't imagine that the bus company employ someone so incompetent that they'd turn right into the traffic at a roundabout thereby endangering passengers and other road users, and even though the temperatures were low and the roads potentially icy I can't envisage a bus spinning 90 degrees and the driver continuing to depress the accelerator to drive straight into the roundabout. 

No idea, but I've gone past plenty of scenes of accidents where I've not been able to work out for the life of me what's gone on.

Where there's a loss of control I guess all sorts of mad forces come into play that we're just not used to and cannot predict.

A friend of mine was telling me recently how she'd once had a tyre blow out at relatively low speed (suspected dodgy fitting of new tyre) and the car ended up on its roof. One second, driving normally, then next second, bloody hell I'm upside down

13 hours ago, Unabomber said:

How do electric cabs in London have enough charge to go around all day anyone know?

They do over 300miles in range and 80 odd pure electric but they also have a 1.5litre petrol engine a sort of hybrid in case of trouble... they are described as REEV vehicles:

LEVC products are classified as Range Extended Electric Vehicles (REEV). They can be described as Battery Electric Vehicles – driven exclusively by electricity – that feature an additional on-board generator (a small 1.5 litre petrol engine), known as a Range Extender. This provides greater usability and flexibility than pure electric operation.

When required, the Range Extender recharges the Drive Battery, which in turn powers the electric Drive Motor that drives the wheels.

Always electrically driven, there is no connection between the Range-Extender and the electric Drive Motor. The Range Extender only acts as a power source to provide electricity to the Drive Battery, extending the driving range.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 10:33, Bellend Sebastian said:

No idea, but I've gone past plenty of scenes of accidents where I've not been able to work out for the life of me what's gone on.

Where there's a loss of control I guess all sorts of mad forces come into play that we're just not used to and cannot predict.

A friend of mine was telling me recently how she'd once had a tyre blow out at relatively low speed (suspected dodgy fitting of new tyre) and the car ended up on its roof. One second, driving normally, then next second, bloody hell I'm upside down

Almost every serious collision I've attended has been inexplicable (disregarding excessive speed) as to how or why it happened, until the police collision investigation unit get involved, and that was only for those collisions where there was a fatality or the potential for such, or the potential for life changing injuries.

I've seen many wrecked vehicles where I couldn't believe the occupant(s) had got out alive, never mind those that had no obvious injuries. And those where there seemed to be no incriminating factors such as speed and/or mechanical failure, where there's been a fatality.

I went to one on the M1 S/B where witnesses told me the car had hit the central barrier at +/-, 70 mph, had then spun and rolled at least 3 times and finished up in the bushes. The guy was out of the overturned car, casually smoking a cigarette. Not a mark on him.

I went to a collision several years ago in Evington at a suburban junction where there were 2 fatalities where excessive speed or mechanical failure wasn't an issue. It turned out to be where the point of impact occurred that caused the deaths.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2022 at 10:16, ian__marshall said:

I saw this once police had turned up, genuinely no idea how it ended up where it did 

On 15/12/2022 at 19:12, Parafox said:

Almost every serious collision I've attended has been inexplicable (disregarding excessive speed) as to how or why it happened, until the police collision investigation unit get involved, and that was only for those collisions where there was a fatality or the potential for such, or the potential for life changing injuries.

I've seen many wrecked vehicles where I couldn't believe the occupant(s) had got out alive, never mind those that had no obvious injuries. And those where there seemed to be no incriminating factors such as speed and/or mechanical failure, where there's been a fatality.

I went to a collision several years ago in Evington at a suburban junction where there were 2 fatalities where excessive speed or mechanical failure wasn't an issue. It turned out to be where the point of impact occurred that caused the deaths.

I suppose with the last part, factors about the vehicle come into play.

- size (bigger/heavier)

- size (not as compact, more space between driver/passenger and frame of car)

- safety features, airbags, side impact etc etc

Generally horrible drive to Birmingham in grim conditions this afternoon. Journey livened up by some div bombing past at 90 + (when everyone else is doing 55-65 because the spray is horrendous), and within about 30 seconds of this, barely long enough for me to think, like a proper old man, you'll regret driving like that one of these days, we encounter him again, now stationary, facing the direction from which he came and his arse embedded in the inside crash barrier.

He'd managed to put his hazard lights on so presumably was largely OK, and no sign of him hitting anyone else which is a bit miraculous given how busy it was

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Generally horrible drive to Birmingham in grim conditions this afternoon. Journey livened up by some div bombing past at 90 + (when everyone else is doing 55-65 because the spray is horrendous), and within about 30 seconds of this, barely long enough for me to think, like a proper old man, you'll regret driving like that one of these days, we encounter him again, now stationary, facing the direction from which he came and his arse embedded in the inside crash barrier.

He'd managed to put his hazard lights on so presumably was largely OK, and no sign of him hitting anyone else which is a bit miraculous given how busy it was

Hazards activate on collision automatically on BMWs. Just assuming it was a BMW 🤣

31 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Hopefully nobody was hurt and glad to hear nobody else was involved. 

Maybe it'll make this idiot reconsider his driving style.

Sometimes, you get what you deserve.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Otis said:

Hazards activate on collision automatically on BMWs. Just assuming it was a BMW 🤣

It was! A 1 series. What are the chances?

Pretty high, let's be honest

14 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Hopefully nobody was hurt and glad to hear nobody else was involved. 

Maybe it'll make this idiot reconsider his driving style.

Sometimes, you get what you deserve.

I think they will have been alright, the back end was a bit crunched but otherwise the car was intact.

I didn't see the crash itself, but what I reckon they've done is bomb past the traffic slowing down to leave the M69 and join the M6 and then cut in to take the exit and done it a bit too tight and lost his back end. People do it all the time and when it's dry get away with it.

To be honest, the people being overly cautious and kept slamming on their brakes with nothing in front of them were doing my head in more