Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

46 minutes ago, adam1 said:

A50/A46 junction.

Car in front of me STOPS on a green light. Several seconds later it changes to red. They wait then they go through the red, just ahead of vehicles coming across them.

On the way to, and from, my place of work some years ago, there was a traffic light that was always on red when I reached it. So much so, that I just got used to stopping instinctively.

One evening I stopped and the car behind me got on his horn.

I wondered what is problem was then I realised, the light was on green.

This afternoon, a female driver on the A road between Kettering & Wellingborough - doing 30-40, and each time a vehicle approached from the other carriage way, she braked!

Fed up with this, I overtook, entirely safely, and the stupid so and so, flashed headlights at me. 

2 hours ago, Fox1970 said:

This afternoon, a female driver on the A road between Kettering & Wellingborough - doing 30-40, and each time a vehicle approached from the other carriage way, she braked!

Fed up with this, I overtook, entirely safely, and the stupid so and so, flashed headlights at me. 

These people shouldn't be allowed to drive. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Fox1970 said:

Oh yes, an absolute favourite - people that drive on their brakes and then take huge offence that you have the temerity to be a better driver than them, and DARE TO OVERTAKE!

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Oh yes, an absolute favourite - people that drive on their brakes and then take huge offence that you have the temerity to be a better driver than them, and DARE TO OVERTAKE!

I never understand people that tap dance on the brake pedal. You see it on the motorway constantly instead of simply easing off/regulating the throttle - and it's unnerving. Also people that brake into and around corners or even at the slightest suggestion of a curve. 

To change the subject, one of my main concerns, particularly when on a motorcycle, is the increased prevalence of drivers attempting to turn right from a left lane on a roundabout. Happened to me recently coming off the M69 at Junction 1 at the large roundabout at Jct 21 of the M1. In the far right hand lane after coming under the bridge you can go straight on or right before it merges into the left hand lane. Just before I was about to exit someone to the left of me headed right assuming that I was about to do same. I had to fling the car in the same direction and go around the roundabout again to avoid a collision. This is so common now, even on smaller two lane roundabouts.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fox1970 said:

What's that got to do with it?

1 hour ago, walkerleeds said:

What's that got to do with it?

Do you pay attention when driving?

Those who tend to drive to a lower standard (contantly braking, going too slow etc etc) are female.about 90% of the time. I always have a good look. 

I will keep a score card over the next 6 months if you want.

1 minute ago, adam1 said:

Those who tend to drive to a lower standard (contantly braking, going too slow etc etc) are female.about 90% of the time. I always have a good look. 

And those that drive aggressively, recklessly and at excessive speed tend to be male. Keep a scorecard on that too. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Line-X said:

I never understand people that tap dance on the brake pedal. You see it on the motorway constantly instead of simply easing off/regulating the throttle - and it's unnerving. Also people that brake into and around corners or even at the slightest suggestion of a curve. 

To change the subject, one of my main concerns, particularly when on a motorcycle, is the increased prevalence of drivers attempting to turn right from a left lane on a roundabout. Happened to me recently coming off the M69 at Junction 1 at the large roundabout at Jct 21 of the M1. In the far right hand lane after coming under the bridge you can go straight on or right before it merges into the left hand lane. Just before I was about to exit someone to the left of me headed right assuming that I was about to do same. I had to fling the car in the same direction and go around the roundabout again to avoid a collision. This is so common now, even on smaller two lane roundabouts.

And not forgetting those in the right hand lane of an island who decide they need to turn left and cut across you without indicating as they turn off. 

3 hours ago, adam1 said:

I wonder if your score card could include a critical evaluation as to why that might be? Do they feel intimidated as a result of angry blokes glaring in their faces if they're doing 27mph in a 30mph zone, perhaps? Just throwing ideas out there.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, walkerleeds said:

I wonder if your score card could include a critical evaluation as to why that might be? Do they feel intimidated as a result of angry blokes glaring in their faces if they're doing 27mph in a 30mph zone, perhaps? Just throwing ideas out there.

No they're just rubbish drivers. I doubt women are constantly looking in their mirrors and if it's a bloke behind them they suddenly shit themselves or forget how to drive. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, The Bear said:

No they're just rubbish drivers. I doubt women are constantly looking in their mirrors and if it's a bloke behind them they suddenly shit themselves or forget how to drive. 

Yeah thanks for that, I was being facetious.

Anyway, let's pause the misogyny for a second- 76% of fatalities and 62% of casualties of all severities are male drivers. Bloody women drivers, eh?

12 minutes ago, walkerleeds said:

Anyway, let's pause the misogyny for a second- 76% of fatalities and 62% of casualties of all severities are male drivers. Bloody women drivers, eh?

I know a terrible woman driver who's never been in an accident. Seen dozens though.... 

1 hour ago, walkerleeds said:

Yeah but more men drive, and men do nearly twice as many miles driving then women? So on that basis the statistics wouldn't be too shocking if you include those factors.

:nigel:

33 minutes ago, adam1 said:

Yeah but more men drive, and men do nearly twice as many miles driving then women? So on that basis the statistics wouldn't be too shocking if you include those factors.

:nigel:

That's true, if we were still in the 70's....

As of a few years ago, 80% of the male population were license holders, with 71% of the female population holding a license. The average annual mileage for men was at 7,013 compared to women’s average at 5,998. 

Edited by walkerleeds

13 minutes ago, walkerleeds said:

That's true, if we were still in the 70's....

As of a few years ago, 80% of the male population were license holders, with 71% of the female population holding a license. The average annual mileage for men was at 7,013 compared to women’s average at 5,998. 

That average figure is for travelled (passenger or driver). When they are driving is different. 

Also need to factor in age. For example with older drivers men are nearly double the number for women for serious accidents, but 700k more men drive then women and they drive nearly x4 as many miles on average....

The overall figures are irrlevant unless it is broken down to miles driven

Edited by adam1

Just now, Parafox said:

I'm of a certain generation that thought he was a great comedian only to discover that... he wasn't. 

He was great in The Detectives with Robert Powell and George Sewell.

Not so much in Goldenballs lol

I remember seeing him at Birmingham Airport in the early 90's.

He was in arrivals, we were in departures.

It was separated by a bit of glass, loads of people were pointing at him saying "oh my god, it's Jasper Carrot"

He was stood the other side of the glass, pointing at people, looking shocked, mouthing "oh my god" lol

• Haha 1

People who don’t maintain speed on a motorway, speeding up and down constantly.

people who attempt to undertake because you’re going slow, only to discover everyone’s going slow as there is traffic and then preceding to be grumpy because you won’t let them in.

People who speed, okay, going 75 to get you out of a tight spot is not too bad but driving over 80 is selfish and abhorrent. Particularly when it’s wet and when they don’t leave adequate space. 

people who go up your backside for ages and then decide to overtake just as a merge is coming up. 

so many crazy people on the roads today.